33 combined slams vs 1 - does Murray have the right to be in a "big four"? - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Does Murray have the right to be referred to as being part of a "big four"?

Yes 46 51.11%
Nope 30 33.33%
No, he needs X (arbitary) number of slams to be there 14 15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #106
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 33 combined slams vs 1 - does Murray have the right to be in a "big four"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimaoPancao View Post
Nope. He has to win at least 2 more Grand Slams and be number 1.
Not if there are 4 different slam winners in 2013 like in 2012. One slam would suffice.

If nobody in the top 4 is good enough to win multiple slams in 2013 then that means the top 4 are closer then ever. Like in 2012.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #107
country flag The Fearhand

The Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 33 combined slams vs 1 - does Murray have the right to be in a "big four"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Murray's H2H against Nadal is marginally worse than Fed's & significantly worse than Djoker's, but it is still better than most players' outside Davydenko, & H2H against Nadal is a relatively unimportant factor. My beef is with the "fools" who are trying to make out Muzza's H2H against Nadal debars him from any Top 4.
I think you are right on a lot of things but the way you went wasn't the correct one so people misunderstood you. Murrays H2H with the top 3 doesn't matter when it comes to top 4 discussion. Currently there are 4 players who could beat eachother at any given moment and Murray is part of that. His game is up there. H2H is important but more important is the talent look at Nole before 2011 his H2H wasn't so good and then he turns it around by working hard, improving and maximizing his talents. Murray has started to do it under Lendl. Just because he has a bad record against Nadal doesn't mean Murray doesn't belong in the top 4. Those H2H stats can be misleading because Murray hasn't played Nadal in nearly over a year and Murray only started to peak since then. In 2009 even when Djokovic was losing in finals, semis I could see him becoming no.1 same with Murray. Took him longer as he's not that strong mentally compared to Djo but it is happening. It's inevitable.
The Fearhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #108
country flag EddceLLent

EddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond repute

A thought - if it's a "big four" you're not necessarilly saying that Murray is as accomplished as any of the others. The implication is that these four guys are the main contenders to win majors. If you don't think Murray is a contender at majors then that's your opinion: an opinion that runs contrary to the views of most tennis experts, and to the views of betting companies who only make money by being able to accurately summise the probability of any given player being successful.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #109
country flag xcom

xcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond reputexcom has a reputation beyond repute

Even without his recent win at the USO he is superior to the other top 10 players (outside the top 4 obviously). A winner of 8 masters crowns and olympic gold. If Murray gets a good run going he can win any of the upcoming slams, bar Roland Garros of course. And I say this as a Nole fan.

So yes, he definitely is part of the big four.
xcom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #110
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

There is only a big one. The number one player in the world that is. Nothing else is relevant.

Pay your respects to the vultures. . . .

Did you know : the famous gangster Al Capone's criminal headquarters was based inside of a hotel

'82 - '91: best decade in tennis
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #111
country flag SliceAce

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
There is only a big one. The number one player in the world that is. Nothing else is relevant.
You mean the soon to be slamless #1?
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #112
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

MTF classic. This thread is again hurtling towards the same conversations that have been going for what it seems like thousands of years.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #113
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

keep trolling. life is good.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote