BDO World Darts Championships 2013 - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WWW BDO WC Final?

Tony O'Shea 3 42.86%
Scott Waites 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #31
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BDO World Darts Championships SF and Final! Tony O'Shea VS Scott Waites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Did you see Wade this year, either against Hudson or Beaton (silly Beaton bust on 126 or something when he would've had three darts at a double to take it into 3-3 ), standing behind the dancer girls and then covering his penis (99% sure he was joking about having a boner)? Ridiculous.

Part had it all, his biggest problem was being absolutely fantastic one leg, with massive scoring and perfect finishing, to being utterly dire in the following leg. The 2003 final to me, is still the most thrilling match of all time, because everyone still saw Taylor as unbeatable and especially having been whitewashed by Taylor in the 2001 final, with probably the most perfect performance I've ever seen from an individual over 7 sets. Not to mention that he's an absolute gent. Terrific guy is Party.

Anderon's finishing has been abysmal. I still love the guy for his attitude. I don't think he could care less about darts, he just loves the money he's raking in these days.
Nah, I try not to watch James Wade matches when he's playing minnows. Doesn't surprise me at all that he did that.

Last year at the WC, during that epic semi-final with Lewis, didn't he initiate some massive complaint about a draught of air? I mean come on, I know he cracks under pressure and doesn't take it well, but blaming it on that?

Then there was that incident where he complained about a loose floorboard on the other side of the oche, which didn't affect his throw. I think that was at the Premier League. I find Adrian Lewis annoying, but I respect him a lot for telling Wade to stop moaning and get on with it, that day.

Yeah, John Part's a class act away from the board indeed, much like RVB. I was way too young to be watching darts in the early 2000s, but I have watched clips of it, and most say either that or the Taylor-Barney sudden death world final is the greatest match ever.

Gary's been rather crap recently, I hope he ups his game this year. When he's not landing the treble 20s consistently, he's very beatable, and so has proved recently.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #32
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BDO World Darts Championships SF and Final! O'Shea, Harms, Waites and George!

Quote:
No. But in the darting world, there has been never ending conversation from the mid-2000's of "who's going to replace Taylor, who's going to dominate" basically because since a couple of years after the split (Priestley was initially tipped to dominate) Taylor has dominated the sport for so long. The quality is continuously improving because of the PDC organisation. Now we have around 30 men who are earning a very good living throwing darts and even doing so in some cases part-time, it's not exactly fair to compare those of the past to the current generation. It's developing at a fast rate and they're wanting to plunge even more money into the World Championship next year, when I really believe it should be invested into floor events.

Even the preliminary matches this year and last were of excellent quality. Haavisto vs. Komula was of an excellent quality.

It's a shame that today we don't have the likes of Priestley, Baxter, Hankey, Manley and Part throwing as well as they did even just a couple of years ago.
Well, wasn´t the Premier League originally envisioned to give darts players a platform to play quality opposition throughout the year? If, as you state, the money they intend to pump into the World Championship gets pumped into smaller events, like the PL and some other larger tournaments instead, it might go some way in making the sport more viable. Of course, the non-televised events will need some investment as well. Personally, I was glad when they started with the U21 WC a couple of years ago, it seems that they are taking tentative steps toward further development of the sport.

Those players you stated were valuable to the tour, I agree. Part beating Taylor in 2003 was important in showing that the latter was mortal after all. Still, with all the ongoing professionalisation I can´t help but lament the seeming disappearance of the cult figures from the main stage, like the Count, the Viking, or this legend:
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #33
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BDO World Darts Championships SF and Final! Tony O'Shea VS Scott Waites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Nah, I try not to watch James Wade matches when he's playing minnows. Doesn't surprise me at all that he did that.

Last year at the WC, during that epic semi-final with Lewis, didn't he initiate some massive complaint about a draught of air? I mean come on, I know he cracks under pressure and doesn't take it well, but blaming it on that?

Then there was that incident where he complained about a loose floorboard on the other side of the oche, which didn't affect his throw. I think that was at the Premier League. I find Adrian Lewis annoying, but I respect him a lot for telling Wade to stop moaning and get on with it, that day.

Yeah, John Part's a class act away from the board indeed, much like RVB. I was way too young to be watching darts in the early 2000s, but I have watched clips of it, and most say either that or the Taylor-Barney sudden death world final is the greatest match ever.

Gary's been rather crap recently, I hope he ups his game this year. When he's not landing the treble 20s consistently, he's very beatable, and so has proved recently.
Watch from 1:53 onwards until around 2:15, shame the camera cuts away half way through whilst he's holding his crotch. Ridiculous behaviour. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0NvGEVt1bg

Yes, draughts can make a massive difference and it was Lewis I think who insinuated that there was a problem, but Wade wasn't happy and had every right to walk off and compose himself, but he didn't, or at least not for long and continued to build a lead of 5-0 and he still managed to mess it up. The floorboard thing was ridiculous, Wade only began complaining when he started to mess a lead up (again)

Many people have reported that Barneveld is very temperamental off stage and doesn't give a lot of time to his fans. I think he's a little bit full of nonsense with what he says at times and with his silly walk on face where he rolls his eyes like he thinks he's the Undertaker The 2007 final was a strange, yet exceptional match. Barneveld really took the pressure off himself when he went down, almost like he threw in the towel and began to enjoy it. Taylor also clearly still thought he'd win and he also threw freely. It made an unbelievable match and I thought Barneveld was going to nick it after coming back from so far.

Anderson only won 1 title last year year compared to the previous year's 8, including the Premier League, so he's got a lot of defending to do as far as points are concerned. His doubles are horrendous. He says he doesn't enjoy training much, so that explains it.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #34
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BDO World Darts Championships SF and Final! O'Shea, Harms, Waites and George!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollicki View Post
Well, wasn´t the Premier League originally envisioned to give darts players a platform to play quality opposition throughout the year? If, as you state, the money they intend to pump into the World Championship gets pumped into smaller events, like the PL and some other larger tournaments instead, it might go some way in making the sport more viable. Of course, the non-televised events will need some investment as well. Personally, I was glad when they started with the U21 WC a couple of years ago, it seems that they are taking tentative steps toward further development of the sport.

Those players you stated were valuable to the tour, I agree. Part beating Taylor in 2003 was important in showing that the latter was mortal after all. Still, with all the ongoing professionalisation I can´t help but lament the seeming disappearance of the cult figures from the main stage, like the Count, the Viking, or this legend:
Yes, but it's over matchplay format and players are happy with their appearance fees and the fact there's no prestige doesn't give much incentive for those to perform, especially since the Premier League's crowds are notorious for very bad behaviour. To continue to develop further they need to invest more in floor events, because there's too many players who cannot handle the stage and throw quality darts on the floor. If they were to support floor tournaments, I think it could only help develop and give lower ranked players a boost in confidence, as well as the financial support they deserve. Everyone needs to start somewhere and not everyone has the money to travel and accommodate themselves over the course of a week, especially with jobs. Q-school is great, but then what? Players need sponsorship and funding in floor events. They're getting rid of the "Youth Tour" and implementing a "Challenger Tour", I believe for those aged 14-25.

The Count and Mardle will return, he's just too happy spewing nonsense in the commentary booth He's still playing loads of exhibitions. Ronnie Baxter infuriates me. He hit around 16 180's against Painter and the vast majority of which came when he was 3-1 down. The game to beat anyone, but his doubles are shaky and despite being fast, completely rushes into them.

I also miss Bob Anderson, Deller and Harrington. Deller and Harrington couldn't stand one another and had some classic's in the late 90's, early 2000's.

Last edited by Burrow : 01-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #35
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, but it's over matchplay format and players are happy with their appearance fees and the fact there's no prestige doesn't give much incentive for those to perform, especially since the Premier League's crowds are notorious for very bad behaviour. To continue to develop further they need to invest more in floor events, because there's too many players who cannot handle the stage and throw quality darts on the floor. If they were to support floor tournaments, I think it could only help develop and give lower ranked players a boost in confidence, as well as the financial support they deserve. Everyone needs to start somewhere and not everyone has the money to travel and accommodate themselves over the course of a week, especially with jobs. Q-school is great, but then what? Players need sponsorship and funding in floor events. They're getting rid of the "Youth Tour" and implementing a "Challenger Tour", I believe for those aged 14-25.

The Count and Mardle will return, he's just too happy spewing nonsense in the commentary booth He's still playing loads of exhibitions. Ronnie Baxter infuriates me. He hit around 16 180's against Painter and the vast majority of which came when he was 3-1 down. The game to beat anyone, but his doubles are shaky and despite being fast, completely rushes into them.

I also miss Bob Anderson, Deller and Harrington. Deller and Harrington couldn't stand one another and had some classic's in the late 90's, early 2000's.
Well, it seems darts has a similar problem as tennis then, in the sense that young, upcoming players have difficulties climbing to the top. Hopefully the PDC will be more sensitive to fixing this than the ATP has shown itself to be, though it certainly helps darts players have far more longetivity and I don´t think darts players will be complaining about surface homogenisation anytime soon

Baxter was a quality player, his final against Van Barneveld in 1999 was what introduced me to darts in the first place. I didn´t know Mardle was a commentator these days, it certainly suits him. Does he comment matches on BBC, Sky or another channel? I´m going to have to tune in, he always delivers. I can´t recall Deller or Harrington, I´m going to see if there are some matches of them on youtube.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #36
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Van Barneveld is great when he's on a roll, but god he can be so mentally fragile against Taylor. Before their match he said things like 'Bring it on', 'I want to play Taylor', 'I'm not afraid of him', 'I'm mentally stronger than ever'. And then he went down 1-0 in LEGS and his head already went down, he started shaking his head and later on even started crying.

Are you kidding me Ray? I was so pissed with him, I said it was going to happen before the match, but I somehow had the hope it would be different this time. And then Taylor choked a bit and allowed Raymond to keep the scoreline respectable, but for me, that didn't change one bit about how pathetic a performance that was from RvB.

Especially after the fight the young Van Gerwen had just put up in his match against Lewis, that a much more renowned champion like van Barneveld started giving up after losing a single leg.

Lost a lot of respect there

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #37
country flag Burrow

Yes, it's certainly improving year by year. Considering there are many darts tournaments in England, English players have it easier than those for example in France (though there's not much interest there) because there's many tournaments and unlike ATP players, travel is considerably easier and the sport itself is far cheaper financially. Believe it or not, players have been known to complain about boards, in particularly the wires and surface of the board in the event of bounce outs

Baxter can still throw amazing darts, so it's incredibly frustrating. He's easily the biggest underachiever in the sport. Mardle commentates solely for the PDC. He's better than the dire Stuart Pyke and David Croft but can still be stupid. He's much better when he's sat in the studio with his serious face. Deller won the World Championship beating Bristow in 1983 checking out 138 after Bristow decided to set up a double instead of going for the bull and Harrington, now commentating and working as an analyst for Sky was a WC finalist, world number 1 and 2 time Matchplay champion.

This is my favourite match between the two, they are both past their best but the drama and tension makes it fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-KWUPdHF10
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #38
country flag Burrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Van Barneveld is great when he's on a roll, but god he can be so mentally fragile against Taylor. Before their match he said things like 'Bring it on', 'I want to play Taylor', 'I'm not afraid of him', 'I'm mentally stronger than ever'. And then he went down 1-0 in LEGS and his head already went down, he started shaking his head and later on even started crying.

Are you kidding me Ray? I was so pissed with him, I said it was going to happen before the match, but I somehow had the hope it would be different this time. And then Taylor choked a bit and allowed Raymond to keep the scoreline respectable, but for me, that didn't change one bit about how pathetic a performance that was from RvB.

Especially after the fight the young Van Gerwen had just put up in his match against Lewis, that a much more renowned champion like van Barneveld started giving up after losing a single leg.

Lost a lot of respect there
I think van Barneveld put a lot of pressure on himself following those comments. The end of the match was foul. Barneveld was turned round when he shouldn't have been but Taylor's attitude was vile, he was bitter for whatever reason and it wasn't pleasant. I love how he skipped questioning in so many interviews afterward saying he won't discuss it, with a smile on his face.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #39
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think van Barneveld put a lot of pressure on himself following those comments. The end of the match was foul. Barneveld was turned round when he shouldn't have been but Taylor's attitude was vile, he was bitter for whatever reason and it wasn't pleasant. I love how he skipped questioning in so many interviews afterward saying he won't discuss it, with a smile on his face.
It wasn't pretty, no. But that was just adrenaline, I think. Even on my club football level (which is very low and unimportant I can assure you ) I've done some stupid things in the heat of the moment. Even when I was matched up with some good friends. Imagine if you're on a stage like that with the crowd roaring behind you, playing for something as big as that.

And don't forget, these two are rivals. Sure, they'll say they're friends and all, fine. But deep down, and maybe not so deep, I think there's a natural 'hate' for eachother. And that just showed. Taylor was very on edge in that match, he felt he nearly blew it and got away with it. He even said he would've lost for sure if he hadn't won that final, 10th (?) set. (I think just to poor a bit of salt in Barney's wounds)

Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #40
country flag Trollicki

[quote=Burrow;12732986]Yes, it's certainly improving year by year. Considering there are many darts tournaments in England, English players have it easier than those for example in France (though there's not much interest there) because there's many tournaments and unlike ATP players, travel is considerably easier and the sport itself is far cheaper financially. Believe it or not, players have been known to complain about boards, in particularly the wires and surface of the board in the event of bounce outs
/QUOTE]

Thank you for the link, I will watch it as soon as I have some time on my hands.

As far as the Barney-Taylor altercation goes, from what I´ve heard here in the Netherlands Taylor reacted the way he did because ´Barney was practically pulling his arm out of his socket´ when congratulating him with the win. I´d say it´s more probable Taylor wanted to rub the victory in after Barney had said he does not fear Taylor anymore (obviously a lie BTW). I think Taylor is becoming aware that he is in the twilight of his career and he does not like it one bit, hence the deterioration in his behaviour.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #41
country flag Burrow

Quote:
It wasn't pretty, no. But that was just adrenaline, I think. Even on my club football level (which is very low and unimportant I can assure you ) I've done some stupid things in the heat of the moment. Even when I was matched up with some good friends. Imagine if you're on a stage like that with the crowd roaring behind you, playing for something as big as that.

And don't forget, these two are rivals. Sure, they'll say they're friends and all, fine. But deep down, and maybe not so deep, I think there's a natural 'hate' for eachother. And that just showed. Taylor was very on edge in that match, he felt he nearly blew it and got away with it. He even said he would've lost for sure if he hadn't won that final, 10th (?) set. (I think just to poor a bit of salt in Barney's wounds)
I don't think there's any excuse for such petty behaviour. I don't think comparing you, or anyone else is comparable to someone who is a self-proclaimed model professional who has in the past complained to great lengths of the behaviour of some players.

Barneveld can be an arsehole and can undeniably be pompous and arrogant, especially off camera, but Taylor with his name dropping, talk of his fortune, belittling others and general increasingly smug attitude is far worse and it's no coincidence the behaviour he exhibited post-match.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #42
country flag GSMnadal

Trust me, I despise Taylor, I just know that you can do stupid things when adrenaline takes over from common sense. And it would be hypocritical of me to act all politically correct here and say it's unacceptable to act that way. So I tend to cut him some slack for the incident on stage.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #43
country flag Burrow

Quote:
Trust me, I despise Taylor, I just know that you can do stupid things when adrenaline takes over from common sense. And it would be hypocritical of me to act all politically correct here and say it's unacceptable to act that way. So I tend to cut him some slack for the incident on stage.
I know the effects of adrenaline and various other hormones and have written boring essays on such, but this was no one-off event. Taylor's attitude has been stinking for many years now. His actions only reflect his attitude.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #44
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer in 2 View Post
Semi finals tomorrow, final on Sunday.

Do you guys like Darts? Who is your favorite?

I personally always liked Tony O'Shea! Brilliant player with a great personality too. Hope this could be his year, although a potential final against Scott Waites would be very tough.
Yes I like darts. The final was shit. Was so disappointing. It seemed as if O'Shea was happy enough to reach the finals. Was hoping for an epic an it turned out to be a shitfest from O'Shea.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #45
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollicki View Post

altho 2 legends in that video, Wayne Hawaii 501 and Co 'the matchstick' Stompe
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote