Best shot of 2013 already delivered - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #61
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best shot of 2013 already delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post

To me, the two points Roger Federer played against Andy Murray at the second set of the Wimbledon final last year were amongst the finest of the year and points that rank up there amongst the best ever played.
those are not points, those are pure poetry.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #62
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No. I've already stated what my criteria is. I judge each shot based on the level of difficulty in executing the shot and the importance of the point.

The importance of the point is relative to the player, for example, Paire will most likely never play a Wimbledon final, so it's unfair to him to judge another shot as superior based on such. However, this is irrelevant here because I don't believe the 1st round of a 250 event, where he is playing a lowly ranked player is a momentous occasion for the man.

To me, the two points Roger Federer played against Andy Murray at the second set of the Wimbledon final last year were amongst the finest of the year and points that rank up there amongst the best ever played. I'm not one to say "this is the greatest shot of all time", it's an impossibility to do so, but Federer played those points perfectly out of nowhere and in the context of the stage he was at in his career and this match, they were truly magnificent. They are much more difficult to execute technically and the amount of pressure on these shots was immense. Of course, I can then use examples of lower ranked opponents which would just be as relevant, but Paire's shot does not fit either criteria.
I don't say your criteria is wrong, there's no such thing when we talk about personal preferences.

I respect your opinion, i like such shots as well.

According to ATP though (and the most popular criteria as from hundreds of polls about last year's best shot of the year) people prefer the kinds of shots of Dimitrov, which is quintessentially the same in what concerns conditions, moment, stage, etc. as this one.

I prefer those and i'm entitled to do so, just as probably half the tennis fans, or a third or whatever.

I don't see the problem.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #63
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Looks forced, though still impressive he got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
spectacular!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timafi View Post
sweet shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
It was great because it was unexpected but it's not that difficult to hit though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalised. View Post
Great shot!
Still, I hope and think that this won't be the best we get to see in the entire 2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
Amazing Candidate for the shot of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
Nice shot
Some people liked it as well it seems.

Burrow, you're a smart guy, but using this ava doesn't make you service...if you know what i mean..check the page above, ppl get confused
Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #64
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
I don't say your criteria is wrong, there's no such thing when we talk about personal preferences.

I respect your opinion, i like such shots as well.

According to ATP though (and the most popular criteria as from hundreds of polls about last year's best shot of the year) people prefer the kinds of shots of Dimitrov, which is quintessentially the same in what concerns conditions, moment, stage, etc. as this one.

I prefer those and i'm entitled to do so, just as probably half the tennis fans, or a third or whatever.

I don't see the problem.
Except the reasoning is completely ridiculous. Why should a shot that someone can play down at a club 50 times out of 100 superior to pinnacle points which should epitomise the sport?

You do realise that those people who prefer such shots are most likely teenagers who have been watching 5 tournaments (latter stages only) a year for about 3 years?

This is why your reasoning is being ridiculed.

I don't think I'll ever change my avatar
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #65
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Dimitrov's shot was the kind that people most enjoyed in tennis' classic era. Don't take motorhead the wrong way, latso. The battle here is actually between two sides that see different things in tennis. One side likes dynamic tennis with fast play, reaching the unreachable balls and smart contrepied play. The other side likes seeing shots played from impossible angles, using unique techniques or spectacular shots.

Fact is though that there are some users who prefer both. I am one of them. I do like Fed's 2012 WTF shot more though.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #66
country flag latso

Quote:
Except the reasoning is completely ridiculous. Why should a shot that someone can play down at a club 50 times out of 100 superior to pinnacle points which should epitomise the sport?

You do realise that those people who prefer such shots are most likely teenagers who have been watching 5 tournaments (latter stages only) a year for about 3 years?

This is why your reasoning is being ridiculed.

I don't think I'll ever change my avatar
Then ATP and half the World are ridiculous for choosing Dimitrov's trick shot ahead of Fed's great one.

You obviously deserve each other.

Poor Marat, ridiculed like this
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #67
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Dimitrov's shot was the kind that people most enjoyed in tennis' classic era. Don't take motorhead the wrong way, latso. The battle here is actually between two sides that see different things in tennis. One side likes dynamic tennis with fast play, reaching the unreachable balls and smart contrepied play. The other side likes seeing shots played from impossible angles, using unique techniques or spectacular shots.

Fact is though that there are some users who prefer both. I am one of them. I do like Fed's 2012 WTF shot more though.
This shot is neither.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #68
country flag latso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post

I can't stop saying this.

But the Marats wouldn't read, that's the problem of the young generation nowadays, they love reading/listening themselves more than actually learning smth. A pitty
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #69
country flag Xristos

Xristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond repute

Great shot!
Pick-A-Winner (PAW) #33 2014 Gerry Weber Open WINNER
Xristos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #70
country flag proud bulgarian

proud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond reputeproud bulgarian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Yep, hers was much better

but "Grigor Dimitrov, take a look at this"??? A commentator here hadn't heard of him until the day before his Bagdatis match at Brisbane...
proud bulgarian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #71
country flag latso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xristos View Post
Great shot!
Good one, right
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #72
country flag BodyServe

BodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Great shot but I've seen enough tennis to easily say that it wasn't THAT amazing...
This, when i saw this thread i was expecting something like Dimitrov last year so i ended up disapointed of course.

If this is the best shot of 2013, i might as well stop watching tennis right now because it would mean the standard is even lower this year.
BodyServe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #73
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplet View Post
Paire has had a lot of practice with this shot, it was not always that good looking though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfnU9xx0qAQ
Love it.
niff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote