Dimitrov or Tomic? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #61
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dimitrov or Tomic?

Looord, not again
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #62
country flag Dund

Dund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond repute

Is Dmitrov's forehand really much better? It's more aesthetically pleasing, and there's the simple fact that he always tries to dance around to it because it's so much better than his backhand. But Tomic seems to be getting stronger and more powerful all the time and could likely add a fair bit of weight still to his 6'5 frame which will add more power to his shots (as it already seems to have done). Dmitrov, like Federer will always be slim. When he wants to flatten it out and hit it hard I'd say Tomic can generate more pace off that wing. Perhaps Dmitrov's is more reliable as he uses more topspin like Federer.

I'm still somewhat undecided though, because Tomic's last 12 months have been shite and I need to see more to be convinced.
Dund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #63
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

I've watched both these players a lot and Dimitrov has the better slice backhand. Tomic uses it well to move his opponent around the court but Dimitrov's plays his slice more aggressively. His slice backhand is lethal when it's on, he just needs more consistency with it. When I watched them play at Wimbledon, Anderson was digging shots out of the dirt every time Grigor played a slice backhand.

They both have very good drop-shots which no-one has mentioned so far.
Hypnotize is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #64
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic's slice seemed a fair bit better in 2011 than it was in 2012.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #65
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
Tomic's slice seemed a fair bit better in 2011 than it was in 2012.
Every aspect of Tomic's game was better in 2011 than 2012 (after the AO). Hopefully he will recover his form this year.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #66
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

The racquet may have played its part. Tomic switched to Yonex in 2012, a brand that doesn't lend itself to paint jobs of other brands' racquet characteristics due to their unusual shape. He's switched back now so hopefully that will make a difference.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #67
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
A kid who doesn't know which hand is which doesn't have any balance and someone needs to teach him how to play, how to position himself, how to swing at the ball.

My generation was taught the Lendl style - FH - left leg toward the net, body parallel to the side, etc.

I was questioning myself later - why Agassi has a different position then? Then Courier confirmed my doubts that my coaches were noobs and i started playing like this myself.

Now Roger illustrated how it's perfectly done, for all shots that exist in a book of tennis (i would question only his BH volley, but this is too much into details to start a conversation here), so everyone starts trying to play this way and then his body and mind change these settings in the way it's more comfortable for the player.

Of course, more comfortable doesn't mean better. My kid feels most comfortable kicking the ball with his toes and i try to explain him that it might feel weird now, but kicking it with the inside and upper part of the foot is the better way for him..

That's why a magicien like Santoro couldn't ever do more than he did, despite all the tons of talent in his hands - coz a mug coach, with Connor's BH in mind figured that if the kid has it from both sides - he can't win less than 10 Slams...

Grigor has mastered the ultimate correct tennis style and he'll be up there winning Slams one day hopefully.
Pointless discussion. Here is a fact: In tennis, especially at the top level, you have to play to your own STRENGTHS. I don't think Dimitrov has the exact same natural strengths as Federer, so exactly how do you figure imitating him is the smartest way to go. How much better do you think Soderling would have been if he adapted Fed's style? The answer is, he would have done nothing because his body and movement are not the same.

Federer builds his game around his great serve and forehand. Since he hits those two shots much better than Dimitrov, it doesn't matter much if Dimitrov has successfully imitated Roger's backhand because his bh (although it has good points) is the weakest link in Roger's game. As I said, it would be intelligent to study Fed's game to make corrections of your own, but to try to copy it? No way.

You're a fanboy of Dimitrov, which is understandable, but please hold off the "winning slams" talk until he actually achieves anything in the sport.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #68
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #69
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Pointless discussion. Here is a fact: In tennis, especially at the top level, you have to play to your own STRENGTHS. I don't think Dimitrov has the exact same natural strengths as Federer, so exactly how do you figure imitating him is the smartest way to go. How much better do you think Soderling would have been if he adapted Fed's style? The answer is, he would have done nothing because his body and movement are not the same.

Federer builds his game around his great serve and forehand. Since he hits those two shots much better than Dimitrov, it doesn't matter much if Dimitrov has successfully imitated Roger's backhand because his bh (although it has good points) is the weakest link in Roger's game. As I said, it would be intelligent to study Fed's game to make corrections of your own, but to try to copy it? No way.

You're a fanboy of Dimitrov, which is understandable, but please hold off the "winning slams" talk until he actually achieves anything in the sport.
You can't first go to the top and then chose your style.

It is developed since you are a kid.

Bottom line.
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #70
country flag Hypnotize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post

This is just a lazy comparison. If you actually watched their games or knew much about tennis you would see Dimitrov does not "imitate" Federer's game at all. He clearly watched Federer a lot when he was younger and no doubt emulated his style but he executes his shots differently to Federer so it makes no difference if he has a different body or movement to him.

Federer clearly emulated Sampras when he was younger but he adapted his style of play to suit his own body as he got older.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #71
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
I wouldn't put Dimitrov ahead in return and movement areas, but i wouldn't also put Tomic ahead in the slice department, despite it's smth he's notorious for.
Excuse me, are you kidding me? Bernie its EASILY top 5 slicer on the tour. If there is any department he is ahead of Grigor its in the slice one. Did you ever saw a Tomic match? With that statement I am having second thoughts on that possibility.

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #72
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado & Gil View Post
Excuse me, are you kidding me? Bernie its EASILY top 5 slicer on the tour. If there is any department he is ahead of Grigor its in the slice one. Did you ever saw a Tomic match? With that statement I am having second thoughts on that possibility.
Same goes for yours and Dimitrov.

I've seen both and as i said - despite Tomic is notorious with his slice, i believe Dimitrov's is not worse, at all actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajESZpP1E8
Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #73
country flag tumbak

tumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond reputetumbak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado & Gil View Post
Stop the drugs please. Dimitrov's slice is sick, no way Tomic's to be better.
tumbak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #74
country flag yuri27

yuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic will have a better career for me.
His (too?) big self-confidence and willingness to succeed will bring him higher than Dimitrov i believe.
Dimitrov is like the Gasquet of his generation (with perhaps even less potential) : hugely talented but not as driven mentally as some of his peers (Tomic, Raonic, Nishikori).
yuri27 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #75
country flag latso

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri27 View Post
Tomic will have a better career for me.
His (too?) big self-confidence and willingness to succeed will bring him higher than Dimitrov i believe.
Dimitrov is like the Gasquet of his generation (with perhaps even less potential) : hugely talented but not as driven mentally as some of his peers (Tomic, Raonic, Nishikori).
I agree on the psychological portraits.

Surely guys like Tomic and Raonic already feel like stars and accomplished high level professionals.
They would both try to kill Murray is such a final, while Dimitrov feels more like blessed to be in this position, he'd almost ask for autographs at the end of the match (one day against Roger he actually will, i'm pretty sure, even if he beats him ).

But this doesn't define a career, not if there are numerous differences in the whole set up.

Daniel Koellerer was the type who'd go through you, while Federer never was (these early career tantrums were smth different imo, toward himself mostly), yet the result is not as the cliche dictates.

These guys are very young and their attitude will be changing along the way.

The good thing is that they are already playing finals and getting tittles, so they already have the level and success just can't escape i believe.

In a Slam final i don't think there would be any mercy or second thoughts from Grigor, so i don't see his natural laid back personality holding him back that much. It doesn't thus far, so i don't see why it should in the future.