Dimitrov or Tomic? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dimitrov or Tomic?

Dimitrov more likely to learn from more experienced players and hopefully develop his game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Federer is the GOAT
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Dimitrov for both. He's already a proven better clay courter.

He's won Slams as a junior and is among the few transferring well into ATP, so there is no reason for him not to win a few.

For Tomic - he's talented enough, but a hot head still, so it's early to say.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Grigor because he's hot.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
country flag peRfect-Tennis

peRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Tomug has no weapons.

Dimitrov is a wannabe Fed clone.

Slamless.

Follow me on Twitter: @peRFectTennisUK
peRfect-Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Not "wannabe". He just is, because - Federer's style is the ultimate best tennis style, which is the textbook of modern tennis (with one or two hands BH).

So anyone who manages to play closest in style has achieved an important milestone.

It's simple. If you have anything different in your movement - it's a parasite to be worked on and changed in the right direction.

It has the best bio-mechanics, which makes it playable by players with no excessive muscle structure and is gentle to the body, which allows longevity.

Once you achieve that it's all head and hand from that point.

I wouldn't teach neither Santoro's style, nor Rafa's to my kid, neither i would expect him to have the rubber spine of Djokovic.

Federer has written tennis style all over and that's why one could consider either everyone being Federer wannabees, or none of them, just players seeking perfection.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully both will step up. The sport needs it. As to who will win more, it really is difficult to say for me right now. Both haven´t reached that point yet that you can say they have a more or less complete game. I´m going out on a limb here and say Tomic, I have the feeling that his game is a bit more suited to the current tour.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #23
country flag latso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollicki View Post
Hopefully both will step up. The sport needs it. As to who will win more, it really is difficult to say for me right now. Both haven´t reached that point yet that you can say they have a more or less complete game. I´m going out on a limb here and say Tomic, I have the feeling that his game is a bit more suited to the current tour.
I think 3 days ago you wouldn't say that.

But it's an opinion
Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Not "wannabe". He just is, because - Federer's style is the ultimate best tennis style, which is the textbook of modern tennis (with one or two hands BH).

So anyone who manages to play closest in style has achieved an important milestone.

It's simple. If you have anything different in your movement - it's a parasite to be worked on and changed in the right direction.

It has the best bio-mechanics, which makes it playable by players with no excessive muscle structure and is gentle to the body, which allows longevity.

Once you achieve that it's all head and hand from that point.

I wouldn't teach neither Santoro's style, nor Rafa's to my kid, neither i would expect him to have the rubber spine of Djokovic.

Federer has written tennis style all over and that's why one could consider either everyone being Federer wannabees, or none of them, just players seeking perfection.
Nonsense. Every person's balance and movement pattern is different, and therefore you should never try to copy someone else's movements as it will not work. You could look to Fed's footwork etc for tips, sure, but ultimately you have to play to your own body's strengths. That is one of the reasons why Grigor hasn't achieved anything yet, his mind is too locked in trying to imitate Federer instead of finding a game that comes naturally to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times, October 2014
During this year’s United States Open, Soderling said, he was watching a match on television when his young daughter came into the room. For a moment, she watched her father watching the tennis, but then she interrupted.

“She wanted to watch Dora,” Soderling said. “So, I said, ‘O.K.’ We watched Dora.”
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
I think 3 days ago you wouldn't say that.

But it's an opinion
Well, I have not seen Dimitrov yet this year, so I can not comment on him. As far as Tomic is concerned, he always had the tactical ability, but from what I´ve seen the last couple of days, he has added some weight to his shots and his footwork seems to be somewhat better as well. Still, as I said, I hop both do step up.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #26
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

better on clay ? rather Dimitrov

will win more slams ? rather Tomic

imho

I like them both and think they both bring something original to the game (Raonic is not my cup of tea) then I hope they will succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
I don't think he is actually imitating Roger per se. Nobody can 'imitate' Roger. Fed is a tennis genius, no question about it. well, Gasquet was a new Fed back in 2005/06 (I wish, because I like Richie so much) ... he got nowhere
Dimitrov did indeed imitate Federer, it's obvious ... and imo he did it very well.
But now, and for a few years, I think he has gone beyond that then I don't think it hampers him.
Gasquet never imitated Fed and his common points with Fed were very small, in his case "baby-Fed" just meant "talented young guy", Dimitrov is much more of a "Fed imitation".

Last edited by duong : 01-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #27
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

anyone but the servebot.
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
better on clay ? rather Dimitrov

will win more slams ? rather Tomic

imho

I like them both and think they both bring something original to the game (Raonic is not my cup of tea) then I hope they will succeed.

Dimitrov did indeed imitate Federer, it's obvious ... and imo he did it very well.
But now, and for a few years, I think he has gone beyond that then I don't think it hampers him.
Gasquet never imitated Fed and his common points with Fed were very small, in his case "baby-Fed" just meant "talented young guy", Dimitrov is much more of a "Fed imitation".
Duong, and others,
Do you think Dimitrov is 'imitating' Fed on purpose or playing his 'own' game that is similar/perceived as Fed's game?
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Dimitrov grew up watching and admiring Fed. Therefore, it's no coincidence he plays like him. The problem he had was that he was not good enough or maybe did not have all the qualities Roger does (body structure, physique, mentality, whatever you want to call it) to play the same style. I think he's always said he wants to be his own man, even at the beginning. It's just that their style of play is similar and he may have erred on the side of imitating Fed a bit.

Conversely, Raonic grew up watching and admiring Sampras and his serve is brilliant. In his case, he could in fact emulate what his idol was doing on court. Dimitrov's could not.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #30
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Probs Dimitrov....

Just wondering though, every one says neither will win a Slam, then who will? Will Fed still be winning slams age 50 or something?
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote