Why is the generation after Fed's so devoid of personalities? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is the generation after Fed's so devoid of personalities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellis_lv View Post
Everything that comes out of players' mouths nowadays seems so rehearsed and politically correct.

I compare them to Fed's generation who were much less afraid to speak their minds.

Roddick could own a press conference. Fed's still the most sophisticated and direct guy in the room (and the best at interviews). Hewitt with his unfiltered emotions (on and off the court), etc.

Even the women of that generation were much more interesting. Sharapova and Serena still have 100x more interesting interviews/press conferences than their younger counterparts.

Compare them to the Djokovics and Nadals of today with their endless amount of softball responses to softball questions.
Djokovic ripped Roddick at USO '08 and got booed on court, speaking your mind doesn't really pay off Moreover, you picked two or three players and made it look like everybody was like them. What kind of personality Davydenko has? He couldn't even get a racquet deal while being top 6 player, how often do you see that? And Ferrer? Youzhny? Ljubicic? Etc
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
awww, hope you get well soon.
thanks Kat and sorry again ... really nothing to do with Fed or anybody. I over reacted to this thread for some reason ... know what it is, but, I should stop typing before I can say something nice
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
I don't think it's a matter of generation, rather a more business approach to everything around the sport.

The guys we're talking about are making their money largely from sponsors, which sponsors pay to have their image spread by these players.

Rafa couldn't start bashing the Argies for example and expect the Armani underwear to work well in Buenos Aires.

They have PR agents, managers and everything they speak out is the voice of these professionals, which is indeed boring, but until we get someone sposnored by a brand that is recognized with scandal, we will get most of the time Lindt's, Gillette's, Armani's, etc. point of view about everything.

Would be fun to have Tomic sponsored by MTV or Reality TV

I wouldn't be surprised if the players start going dressed under the showers
why does personality have to equal scandal/controversy & negative things? are we still in that high school mindset that nice=boring and the people who make trouble and trash or bully others are the cool kids?

I'm not bored by nice personalities.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
what freaking personality? Fed has none. Roddick and Djokovic simply own him is this department. Fed is the best tennis player ever but when it comes to his personality (whatever that is), I ask myself, like what the fu.ck?. Gee, Safin has more brain/personality in his little pinky than Fed/Nadal plus Laver/Tilden/Stepanek combined.

I know that many of you guys love/adore/can't live without Fed but could you please stop opening stupid threads ... worship Buddha, Allah, Jesus, Lady Ga Ga or Britney Spears. fu,ck tennis and tennis player. this is all stupid. fu*ck Djokovic, Fed, Nadal and Murray all at once.

I'm changing my avi and supporting Donald Young from now on.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Djokovic ripped Roddick at USO '08 and got booed on court, speaking your mind doesn't really pay off Moreover, you picked two or three players and made it look like everybody was like them. What kind of personality Davydenko has? He couldn't even get a racquet deal while being top 6 player, how often do you see that? And Ferrer? Youzhny? Ljubicic? Etc
Ok, of course, you had your duds even back then.

There was Safin, Hewitt, Roddick, Shazza, the Williams sisters, Hingis, and Fed back then, though.

And now you have, who … ?

Even Azarenka has to bring in some mediocre 'rap star' to her conferences nowadays to make herself look interesting.

I think if a couple of the newest generation like Tomic and Harrison got some results, they could inject some personality back into the game, once again.

I think Raonic is unique, but he's got that awkward Canadian thing going on.
nellis_lv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Alex you're a bit late to jump on the DY bandwaggon I already did

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

If only more tennis players looked and acted like this:

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok, of course, you had your duds even back then.

There was Safin, Hewitt, Roddick, Shazza, the Williams sisters, Hingis, and Fed back then, though.

And now you have, who … ?
Now if you say anything suspicious, you will get ripped on blogs, twitter, facebook, forums, pundits' sites etc As I've mentioned, it doesn't really pay off to be controversial
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post

Still much better than these pathetic displays:

Ripping shirt and pouncing on the publicity panels.

After winning a set:

It looked like he had just completed the CYGS.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Showing emotion and passion on important moments in your life is normal and makes them likeable. Being a pretentious snob with a jacket and cardigan is just vile.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Now if you say anything suspicious, you will get ripped on blogs, twitter, facebook, forums, pundits' sites etc As I've mentioned, it doesn't really pay off to be controversial
Ok, but it does pay off. The idea that being politically correct is what pays off is a huge misconception.

Sharapova's one of the richest women ever to play tennis and is caught dissing other players the most (both male and female).

Serena can threaten to kill a line judge and still get offered 10x the amount Azarenka will ever get.

If Fed ever apologized for anything or relied on charity events to prove how 'nice' he is, his stock would plummet overnight, guaranteed.

I think people prefer honesty and unapologetic behavior than see-through political correctness and pandering. That's just how it is.
nellis_lv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post

He looks like a tool

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
Slacker

Quote:
Serena can threaten to kill a line judge and still get offered 10x the amount Azarenka will ever get.
Heh, actually you're the one with the misconception. Serena is an American and won 15 slams, she can say whatever she wants and she will always get 100x Azarenka gets, nothing to do with personality. Sharapova is pretty much adopted-American, and she' pretty, again, doesn't matter what she says, do you really think she' popular because of her talking?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #30
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
why does personality have to equal scandal/controversy & negative things? are we still in that high school mindset that nice=boring and the people who make trouble and trash or bully others are the cool kids?

I'm not bored by nice personalities.
Well, it kinda means exactly that. Not for me, but for most ppl i guess.

Otherwise Djokovic is like the most interesting player ever with his impersonations, which is already a slight controversy, considering the impersonated ones didn't like it much.

If we want more personalities as before, we actually want JMac's rants, Jimbo's, Safin's racquet abuses, Chela spitting in Hewitt's face, etc.

I personally am happy with the boring tour and guys being actually role models for my kids. I want them to see top players respect their opponents and act polite. It's no fun, but it's much better for everyone.

We have enough BS in football and reality TVs, so an island of politeness and political correctness is good for me.

I did enjoy Roddick's pressers though, it's smth i will miss, but he's one of a kind.
Players are that good coz they've been working their arses off in the gym and on the court while others were reading books and working on their comedy talent, so not mixing things up is OK.
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote