2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez! - Page 54 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #796
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Spring US Hardcourts, Allez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagyovafan View Post
Haas played really well tonight. I've never seen him play this well, he was just in charge. If he keeps it up I think he'll beat Ferrer.
Agreed, I don't even think Gilles played that badly. He could have been more aggressive here or there but he was just outplayed today. Defended QF-R4 from last year, now comes the clay which will be tough to defend. Hopefully he gets some confidence and can play just a little bit better in the coming months.
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 AM   #797
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

He played well first set and after the break he and his first serve had gone missing completely. Haas didn't lose focus and even out-rallied him at several occasions.

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Thiem . Paire
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 AM   #798
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I'm the only one who thinks he's not playing that well. I think it's the mediocrity of the quality he produced that's very unsatisfying, eventhough he's not bad enough to be called bad.
Haas too good, that we can all agree. But I think Gilles is capable of doing a little better than this.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 AM   #799
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Guess I'm the only one who thinks he's not playing that well. I think it's the mediocrity of the quality he produced that's very unsatisfying, eventhough he's not bad enough to be called bad.
Haas too good, that we can all agree. But I think Gilles is capable of doing a little better than this.
I don't think he played anywhere near his best but I just don't know what most players could have done against Haas playing like that. He just wasn't missing today and Gilles served horribly in the second set. That should be the number one goal before Monte Carlo, to fix the serve.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #800
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s. View Post
I don't think he played anywhere near his best but I just don't know what most players could have done against Haas playing like that. He just wasn't missing today and Gilles served horribly in the second set. That should be the number one goal before Monte Carlo, to fix the serve.
I don't know what most player could have done, I just thought Gilles could have done more to keep him guessing. But then, I suppose that's the problem with being a fan, always thinking she/he knows more than the player himself .

Nothing wrong with that serve a month ago in Rotterdam and Marseille. In fact, in Rotterdam, the only thing that's working is the serve. But I guess, indoor is different than outdoor, so his serve outdoor is horrible come to think of it, hasn't been good since last summer. Perhaps he does need to fix it.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #801
country flag mike s.

One silver lining is he went four matches without injury so it seems like his body is getting healthier.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #802
country flag lalaland

Quote:
One silver lining is he went four matches without injury so it seems like his body is getting healthier.
And I'm sure a lot of folks here won't agree with me but I also think another silver lining is that he's back to the backburner of the DC team. If he had done any better, he may actually got picked for playing single . I'm not keen on DC, as much and often as I've expressed that on here, DC has done enough disservice for Gilles IMO. Playing on clay is even more undesirable, for Team France. Argi is good team, I'm not confident France will win in BA.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #803
country flag mike s.

Quote:
And I'm sure a lot of folks here won't agree with me but I also think another silver lining is that he's back to the backburner of the DC team. If he had done any better, he may actually got picked for playing single . I'm not keen on DC, as much and often as I've expressed that on here, DC has done enough disservice for Gilles IMO. Playing on clay is even more undesirable, for Team France. Argi is good team, I'm not confident France will win in BA.
I don't want Gilles playing at all either. I guess the only benefit of being part of the team is he will be getting some practice on clay which did seem to help him last year.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #804
country flag lalaland

Quote:
I don't want Gilles playing at all either. I guess the only benefit of being part of the team is he will be getting some practice on clay which did seem to help him last year.
Good, so we do agree on something today .
Just have to hope that Ritchie's ankle doesn't give him an excuse to turn the DC selection down .
Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #805
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

Well poo. That didn't go how I had hoped. Couldn't watch the match live but watched the replay. It's too bad Haas had to go on his hot streak here. Ferrer in the semis would've been a real chance for Gilles to be back in a Masters 1000 final for the first time since Madrid in 08??? I believe. Oh well. C'est la vie I guess.

Quote:
Out of desperation to find a positive I agree with you Mike about no injury and I'll add to that that making a QF playing somewhat meh is still better than losing opening round playing meh so there's that at least.

I guess we're just going to have to wait for that confidence switch to flip back on in Gilles' head the way it finally has for Haas and until that happens, it's going to be a virtual pot luck at each tournament so get ready for more stress.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #806
country flag mike s.

Of course Haas serves 43 percent and hits 6 doubles against Ferrer. I think Gilles could have won with Haas serving like that. Oh well.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #807
country flag lalaland

Ferrer didn't crack after losing the first set (Gilles did), keeping the pressure on Tommy. I think Tommy was playing so perfectly for the previously 2 matches, it's a matter of time that he'll be unable to sustain that level, so when the right pressure came, it tipped over the scale.

I'm happy that he defended his March points last year, but the tough road is still to come.
Duong posted the provisional ranking for RG and Gilles' barely hanging on to the 16th spot. http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...9&postcount=78
A lot of good clay court players behind him that can overtake his position, a lot of big events for just 1 good week for anyone to gain a lot of points. I hope Gilles will have a good practice in BA to get himself ready to go full force for the next 2 months on clay.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #808
country flag mike s.

Quote:
Ferrer didn't crack after losing the first set (Gilles did), keeping the pressure on Tommy. I think Tommy was playing so perfectly for the previously 2 matches, it's a matter of time that he'll be unable to sustain that level, so when the right pressure came, it tipped over the scale.

I'm happy that he defended his March points last year, but the tough road is still to come.
Duong posted the provisional ranking for RG and Gilles' barely hanging on to the 16th spot. http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...9&postcount=78
A lot of good clay court players behind him that can overtake his position, a lot of big events for just 1 good week for anyone to gain a lot of points. I hope Gilles will have a good practice in BA to get himself ready to go full force for the next 2 months on clay.
The good news is that after the French he has nothing to defend until after the U.S. Open so he can only go up. Hopefully he can at least defend a decent amount of his points on the clay and then he should be in good shape for a push up the rankings.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #809
country flag Gilloulou

Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=lalaland;14402074]
Duong posted the provisional ranking for RG
[quote]

What does it mean?

Never mind, got it

He is doing better though than last year, right?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Gilloulou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #810
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
He is doing better though than last year, right?
I think so. No first round exit so far this year (touch wood) .