2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez! - Page 30 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #436
country flag Kezzi

Kezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Winter European Indoors, Allez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
We'd have taken a semi-final at the beginning of the week, and with the physical problems still there, this can be considered as a successful week.

I just hope he's over his injuries by Indian Wells because that event (and Miami) suits him down to the ground!
+1
At the beginning of the week I surely didn't expect him to get here.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #437
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually not feeling too bad about this week. Surely, he got lucky with the draw. But to me, it's more a shame if he didn't take advantage of a good draw (and god knows that happened all the time). He's struggling in his game but it's good that he managed to will his way thru to win, that is always a positive. I don't know, but I think when one's struggling and get some good luck, suddenly you don't feel so negative, good luck can really help in bad times. I think eventhough he ended up with yet another physical issue, he should really look at this week as a positive. Well, hopefully that's what he'll see. Keep beating up on himself because things aren't going his way won't help. He hasn't really play that well the past 4 tournaments, yet he's about Top 15 in the Race, it really is not bad. And when the good days come, he can really do some damage.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #438
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

Well i'm just worried because I know that Gilles even operating at less than 100% can beat the guys he faced this week, but that's not a regular occurrence. The draw rarely ever opens up that well for someone. Especially at a 500 tier tournament. When he's in these bigger events and 1000 tier tournies etc. he's not going to get that kind of draw and the Gilles I see right now isn't going to beat anybody inside the top 15 and he's going to have to if he wants to make any deep runs. This event was the exception to the rule not the norm so I'm thinking big picture. I don't want Gilles to get lucky and just get by and convince myself to be satisfied with that, I want him to be able to make his own luck and win his matches and get by on his own confident healthy self so I can't really take a lot of comfort away from this week. I'll need to see how he continues to develop and address is current issues with his game as the weeks go on.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #439
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
Well i'm just worried because I know that Gilles even operating at less than 100% can beat the guys he faced this week, but that's not a regular occurrence. The draw rarely ever opens up that well for someone. Especially at a 500 tier tournament. When he's in these bigger events and 1000 tier tournies etc. he's not going to get that kind of draw and the Gilles I see right now isn't going to beat anybody inside the top 15 and he's going to have to if he wants to make any deep runs. This event was the exception to the rule not the norm so I'm thinking big picture. I don't want Gilles to get lucky and just get by and convince myself to be satisfied with that, I want him to be able to make his own luck and win his matches and get by on his own confident healthy self so I can't really take a lot of comfort away from this week. I'll need to see how he continues to develop and address is current issues with his game as the weeks go on.
But you are giving too much credit to some guys in Top 15 . He can certainly beat Monaco who's been awful due to injury, and he can beat Tipsy in most occasions, I would also bet that he can take out Berdych again in whatever situation . And to be honest, if he isn't hurt and lost today, I'm quite sure ppl thinks he has at least a 40% chance of beating Del Po (probably higher chance than Benny has). The thing about Gilles is, he plays to his opponent's level. I mean, he could suck the last match against a Top 100, but when he comes to face a top guy, he gets extra motivation and calmness and can really put up a strong performance out of nowhere. Of course we all want him to make his own luck. And I'm quite sure Gilles is the kind who is not satisfied with a SF showing in 500 tournaments. He takes his pride on showing strong against the heavy weights. He has high standard on himself, eventhough he hasn't been able to perform to standard. That I'm sure of that.

As for us fans, I am only happy about the week bcos of the way things have been going for him, a little positive helps maintain my sanity . I welcome good draws and his taking advantage of it. I hope he'll get to SF next week in Marseille and get a chance to face DelPo again. Him getting to his ranking round is not always a given.

P.S.
My mistake, Gilles is seeded 6 in Marseille, will be meeting DelPo in QF, that is if Gilles makes it that far to QF. With Gilles you just never know. But best of luck anyway. And I agree, I look more forward to the 2 US Master tourneys, he always seem to pick up his game there.

Last edited by lalaland : 02-16-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #440
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed, but I think he actually played fine today. This court just suits Benneteau and he has a lot of confidence. I still think Gilles would have won this match without the hamstring even if that's just part of the game so I'm not really too upset.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #441
country flag Casp83

Casp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond repute

Good tournament overall for Gilles despite the loss today (expected for me).

Otherwise, to answer the question about Gilles on GM, it would be nice if someone could post some videos of Gilles hitting winners because i'm not agree with the OP, like these videos for example (you can find on youtube):
Gilles Simon forever (seasons 2007-09) or (season 2009 volume 2) or (season 2010-part 2) and his highlight shot in Monte-Carlo for example etc...
Casp83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #442
country flag Gilloulou

Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute

i thought he played better. the 2nd serve was shit, indication of his lack of conviction but in general i fealt that the match was much more in his hands for a change. it's a good match up for gills, this benny. still, you need guts to win and not go to the locker room to let some guys touch your ass. sorry, only left cheeck. well who knows what went there! lol
anyway, with a draw like this it is depressing that he didn't take the title. don't know, it's like he has given some room for hope, let us pray it is not a false one
Gilloulou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #443
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by news-tennis83 View Post
Otherwise, to answer the question about Gilles on GM, it would be nice if someone could post some videos of Gilles hitting winners because i'm not agree with the OP, like these videos for example (you can find on youtube): Gilles Simon forever (seasons 2007-09) or (season 2009 volume 2) or (season 2010-part 2) and his highlight shot in Monte-Carlo for example etc...
Someone could do that. Not sure if it'll be any use though. Haters are usually those who refused to see. I bet they have all seen him play aggressively in numerous occasions, just refusing to acknowledge that. Gilles can be boring when playing against some lower ranked when he doesn't need to do much to win. But when he played top guys, he knows he can't just sit back and keep rallying the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloulou View Post
you need guts to win and not go to the locker room to let some guys touch your ass. sorry, only left cheeck. well who knows what went there! lol
Are you attempting to be funny? well, it's not funny, just so you know.
I don't understand why players got criticized for having an injury, surely they wouldn't want to get one when they were ahead. My only complaint is that he called the trainer 2 games too late. He was ahead a break when it became obvious that the leg is bothering him. But he held to 3-0 and sit down at changeover without calling a trainer. Then when Benny started to serve, he told the umpire to get a trainer. At that pt, I thought he's going to give back his break, which he did. He should have called the trainer at 3-0 and get the leg wrapped, that could have made a difference, possibly. But all those could have would have, always pointless to point those out, of course.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #444
country flag Kezzi

Kezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond repute

+1
I guess the only reason they went to the locker room is because he needed to take his pants off. Our commentator was also being dramatic about it, but I guess Gilles just didn't feel the need to pull down his pants in front of all these people. Which is totally understandable.

You're right lala, could have, would have doesn't change anything.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #445
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

so is he playing next week?

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #446
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly wouldn't have had any problem with him pulling his pants down tee hee.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #447
country flag Kezzi

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't have had any problem with him pulling his pants down tee hee.
Me neither, I guess for us fans and everyone interested in the audience it wouldn't be a problem at all. Especially if Julien would have joined him, just for fun.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #448
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzi View Post
I guess the only reason they went to the locker room is because he needed to take his pants off. Our commentator was also being dramatic about it, but I guess Gilles just didn't feel the need to pull down his pants in front of all these people. Which is totally understandable.
My commentators have a laugh at it too. They said surely he can take his pants off in front of the public, it's Holland, it should be allowed .

Quote:
I won't object either . The place he pointed at troubling him, it's almost up to the buttock, maybe he needs to take his underpants off too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
so is he playing next week?
Yes, Sammy. He's playing Marseille next week, opening against Robin Hasse.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #449
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzi View Post
Me neither, I guess for us fans and everyone interested in the audience it wouldn't be a problem at all. Especially if Julien would have joined him, just for fun.
Julien probably won't join him, but Mika probably would
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #450
country flag Kezzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
My commentators have a laugh at it too. They said surely he can take his pants off in front of the public, it's Holland, it should be allowed .
He has a point there.