7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WWW: King of Grass

Roger Federer [SUI] 46 77.97%
William Renshaw [GBR] 13 22.03%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #46
country flag Serve&Volley01

Serve&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is the Real King of Grass: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolandbridge View Post
Renshaw edges Federer here as King of Grass due to his tally of 6 doubles titles and the disadvantage of having to play the finalist as 1st round.
Truth.
Serve&Volley01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #47
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Renshaw played in an era when dukes and bishops contested Wimbledon. It was a truly elitist sport back then.

Also, he only had to play one match each time.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #48
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Does someone really think Federer would have gotten 7 Wimby titles in renshaw's era?

in those days players actually knew how to play on grass. Not to mention that it was real grass in the first place!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #49
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve&Volley01 View Post
Are you sure about this?

I can't believe everyone here is writing Renshaw off when his record of 6 consecutive Wimbledons will probably be never matched EVER. Tennis was just as competitive back then as it was today, just different people.
that is false. it was not nearly as competitive at the time, just think about when Renshaw played in contrast to when tennis started? how could competition be even close to what it was with great grass court players in the Open Era? you can always argue a 'talent' case but you certainly could not argue a difficulty in relation to depth of field with Renshaw > Federer, because not only were there fewer people around back then / playing the sport, but also because tennis was not really international

no one's claiming that Renshaw's consecutive Wimbledon's aren't impressive, but I do not understand how you can't grasp the perspective that there just was not a deep or big field at the time, it's tennis early days

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #50
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Can I take a ride in your time machine please?
nothing about 'seeing' anything. there are indeed facts known about the time period, tennis was not international at the time, and it was nearly as popular in that time as it was a century later
there is no plausible way you could argue that Renshaw had extreme competition of the time, hell he was mostly only playing other Englishmen
the circumstances are the circumstances and I would not entirely use them to hold anything against his records, BUT when directly comparing two great grass players of very different Eras things like this are important to take note of. if I was arguing Renshaw was less talented than Federer then it would be something you'd need a time machine for, but just arguing that his accomplisments were easier at that time than they would be today is something you can generally assume

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #51
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

You guys do realize that for Renshaw's 2nd through 6th Wimbledon titles that as defending champion each time he only had to play the challenger round which is one match against a player that wins a regular draw which consisted of 6 matches... sounds fair to compare...

Hell sometimes some players were given random byes in later rounds due to irregular draw sizes such in Wimbledon 81 where the bottom half player was given a bye in the semifinal...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #52

Serve&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
You guys do realize that for Renshaw's 2nd through 6th Wimbledon titles that as defending champion each time he only had to play the challenger round which is one match against a player that wins a regular draw which consisted of 6 matches... sounds fair to compare...

Hell sometimes some players were given random byes in later rounds due to irregular draw sizes such in Wimbledon 81 where the bottom half player was given a bye in the semifinal...
Yeah but as we noted it is actually HARDER for Renshaw because his R1 is the finalist. There is no earlier matches he could play himself into form with. Also Tennis WAS international. It was just mainly played in 3 countries: England. US. France.

Lastly how do you know what happened at Wimbledon 1881 I'm just curious since facts about slams before 1900 must be hard to find.

What is fact is Renshaw and Federer both share the record of 7 Wimbledon's and Federer cannot break that record without another win. Until he does they will have to share the prestige.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #53

I found this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...illiam-renshaw

Can someone who had great grand parents from that era confirm Renshaw's playing style?

So if Renshaw invented the Serve & Volley, he can truly be considered probably the greatest grass player ever.

I'm also wondering where Renshaw would rank in the greatest players of all time. I'm sure he will be BELOW Bill Tilden and Federer but would still probably be top 10 considering he had more slams than Lacoste and those guys.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #54
country flag cardio

cardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

You guys forget that 120 years ago champion payed only ONE match against challenger in Wimbledon. Whole tournament was to determine who is gonna play vs last year champion.

It gave huge advantage to champ, he was fresh both mentally and physically in final .Challenge system was abandoned only in 1922.

Of course Fed is way-wayy better than Renshaw, he played all rounds fair and square like all other players.

So grass King "thing" is between Sampras and Fed, I think. I would prefer Sampras though because he played on real fast grass.
cardio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #55
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardio View Post
You guys forget that 120 years ago champion payed only ONE match against challenger in Wimbledon. Whole tournament was to determine who is gonna play vs last year champion.

It gave huge advantage to champ, he was fresh both mentally and physically in final .Challenge system was abandoned only in 1922.

Of course Fed is way-wayy better than Renshaw, he played all rounds fair and square like all other players.

So grass King "thing" is between Sampras and Fed, I think. I would prefer Sampras though because he played on real fast grass.
Neither Sampras nor Federer had much say about what they played on. I'd say you can either proclaim Sampras as fast-grass King and Federer as slow-grass King or simply Federer as grass King. Makes no sense to pick Sampras as grass King - despite his slightly inferior resumé - because it was faster then. Next we'll have people claiming Nadal is not clay King because clay was slower in the past.....
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #56
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve&Volley01 View Post
I found this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...illiam-renshaw

Can someone who had great grand parents from that era confirm Renshaw's playing style?

So if Renshaw invented the Serve & Volley, he can truly be considered probably the greatest grass player ever.

I'm also wondering where Renshaw would rank in the greatest players of all time. I'm sure he will be BELOW Bill Tilden and Federer but would still probably be top 10 considering he had more slams than Lacoste and those guys.
"The 1889 final however, may have been Renshaw's most memorable. He faced Harry Barlow in the All-Comers final for the right to play his brother in the Wimbledon final. After forcing the match to a fifth set, Renshaw fell behind 0-5 and faced six match points.

He would save all of them and defeat Barlow in one of the most incredible comebacks ever seen."

nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #57
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
i know the numbers pretty well, but we have to be honest here - Roddick was nowhere near anytime, except maybe for this 17-15, which was a surprise overall.

Duck was a nice lad, but he was in position to take a Slam final off Federer as much as Ferrer would ever be against Nadal. Too much love.

Fast grass being arguably Fed's bestest surface ever i would imagine him winning it all there.

You never know. Maybe at the said speed some guys like Karlovic and Isner would have been tougher threats than Roddick or Rafa on slowish herb.
I remember roddick was a set and a break up in the 2nd set, then the rain delay came, afterwards federer broke back and took the 2nd set, then it was very close in the last two sets. And LOL, Ferrer has never even been to a slam final so theres no comparing him to roddick.
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #58
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Renshaw played in an era when dukes and bishops contested Wimbledon. It was a truly elitist sport back then.

Also, he only had to play one match each time.
TRUE! Wimbledon was not the only important grass court tournament until the USO went off grass. In the Renshaw, Laver eras most tournaments were on grass, therefore, there were more high quality grass court players. This era is probably the weakest grass court era ever. Therefore, my ranking would be: LAVER, SAMPRAS, FEDERER. ROSEWALL and GONZALEZ were very great grass court players too, but lost over 10 of their peak years at Wimby, US, and Australin grass court slams. Laver lost 5 years
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #59
country flag dazed1

dazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
If you count opponent Roddick's amazing, inspiring volleys and light body & aerodynamic bald head, yes, Rogi is the greatest tactician of all.
Hi Mr.Delusional, again out of your cave?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #60
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
TRUE! Wimbledon was not the only important grass court tournament until the USO went off grass. In the Renshaw, Laver eras most tournaments were on grass, therefore, there were more high quality grass court players. This era is probably the weakest grass court era ever. Therefore, my ranking would be: LAVER, SAMPRAS, FEDERER. ROSEWALL and GONZALEZ were very great grass court players too, but lost over 10 of their peak years at Wimby, US, and Australin grass court slams. Laver lost 5 years
No, the 90s and until they slowed the grass ought to be the weakest grass era. Why? Because at no other time in history has there been less rewards for good grass players. Before there were more important tournaments on grass, so more reason to be good at it. Now, the difference between grass and other surfaces is less, so being good on grass will also grant you success elsewhere.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote