In loving memory of Víctor Jara, the dear communist folk singer - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default In loving memory of Víctor Jara, the dear communist folk singer

It took a while but today caputure order was issued by Interpol to capture the coward murderer of the great Víctor Jara.

Here are some videos of his work with english subtitles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3koGm4F14WE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZc5X6ebtMU

And here's a tribute song by the great irish folk singer Christy Moore about Jara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYJaEwNkdB4

Last edited by abraxas21 : 12-28-2012 at 10:07 PM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In memory of Victor Jara, the dear communist folk singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_Jara
The cultural invasion is like a leafy tree which prevents us from seeing our own sun, sky and stars. Therefore in order to be able to see the sky above our heads, our task is to cut this tree off at the roots. US imperialism understands very well the magic of communication through music and persists in filling our young people with all sorts of commercial tripe. With professional expertise they have taken certain measures: first, the commercialization of the so-called ‘protest music’; second, the creation of ‘idols’ of protest music who obey the same rules and suffer from the same constraints as the other idols of the consumer music industry – they last a little while and then disappear. Meanwhile they are useful in neutralizing the innate spirit of rebellion of young people. The term ‘protest song’ is no longer valid because it is ambiguous and has been misused. I prefer the term ‘revolutionary song’.
40 years later, it rings even more true today.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
country flag abraxas21

Default Re: In memory of Victor Jara, the dear communist folk singer

and let's not forget Tevito.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-woE_6F1Qs

Quote:
Composed by Victor Jara and interpreted by Inti Illimani. Recorded as incidental music in The Menu of Tevito by TVN (National TV Chanel) in 1971. Tevito was the official mascot of the Chilean TV Channel during the government of Salvador Allende.

The character was created by Arts student Carlos González, whose drawing won the contest among 6 other participants.

According to the comments of his creator, Tevito was one of the first to disappear after the Chilean Military Coup, and many of his audiovisual archives were eliminated for they were considered a symbol of the overtrown government.
RIP Tevito.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
country flag MachineGun

MachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In loving memory of Víctor Jara, the dear communist folk singer

Your political ideas are very random and very mixed. It's rebellion at its most juvenile and in its cheapest form, with no real thought, with only portions of ideas blended together... That was me when I was 16. I'm now 23 and find my 16 years-old-self really stupid, for how I mixed everything up. I'm still stupid, but less than 7 years ago, I think.
I share most of your anti-western globalization feelings; myself being born in and from a western culture, growing in it, living in it. But I'm not blind either. The society in which I live hasn't done everything wrong. I honestly think that they have done a greater good than we will ever think and more than any other type of society on this planet. But its own capacity to achieve and do great things set high standards; too high, probably; and its wrongs become huge in the eye of its most fervent critics (like you, and I at times).

I'm just sharing a point of view on most of the things I read from you, may it be political or ideological.

Smoking the Rosmalen grass
and rolling in the Stuttgart silt.

> Patron Saint of MTF's collective Desire <
MachineGun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGun View Post
Your political ideas are very random and very mixed. It's rebellion at its most juvenile and in its cheapest form, with no real thought, with only portions of ideas blended together...
what exactly do you find juvenile and with no real thought?

Quote:
That was me when I was 16. I'm now 23 and find my 16 years-old-self really stupid, for how I mixed everything up. I'm still stupid, but less than 7 years ago, I think.
ok.

Quote:
I share most of your anti-western globalization feelings; myself being born in and from a western culture, growing in it, living in it. But I'm not blind either. The society in which I live hasn't done everything wrong.
do you think i think the western society has done everything wrong?

Quote:
I honestly think that they have done a greater good than we will ever think and more than any other type of society on this planet. But its own capacity to achieve and do great things set high standards; too high, probably; and its wrongs become huge in the eye of its most fervent critics (like you, and I at times).

I'm just sharing a point of view on most of the things I read from you, may it be political or ideological.
this is all interesting but i fail to see the relevance to the thread at hand. here your talking about the high standards of the western society in a thread that was devoted to a folk guitar player. you're ideas are acceptable but are way to general and i can't see what exactly you disagree with and what exactly you accept.

Last edited by abraxas21 : 12-29-2012 at 05:53 PM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

I consider myself a "social rght-winger" (or an "anarchist tory") and yet I can listen to Pete Seeger's song any day and I'll always find Abraxas' ideas more interesting than those of many posters on these boards.

And I cannot stop listening to Christy Moore and Planxty. Ireland is THE country of music for me. All the music I love comes from there.

Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
country flag abraxas21

thanks.

also 100% agree about irish folk music. planxty were awesome back in the day.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

And I cannot stop listening to Christy Moore and Planxty. Ireland is THE country of music for me. All the music I love comes from there.

Those lyrics are as banal and schmalzy as lyrics can be. And it still breaks your heart. Go figure. I think it is the ''keening'' in the instruments.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
country flag abraxas21

here's one dedicated to BH: Christy Moore's great rendition of the inspirational poem/song composed by the freedom fighter and political artist Bobby Sands, "I wish I was back home in Derry".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCch_W2Ro38