Wimbledon 2007 and Australian Open 2009 Finals are underrated! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
country flag castle007

castle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond reputecastle007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wimbledon 2007 and Australian Open 2009 Finals are underrated!

For some reason these 2 finals are always ignored or forgotten. I was watching highlights of the Australian Open final the other day and I was still in awe of the shotmaking produced in that match. The 2008 Wimbledon Final is always mentioned as the best Federer/Nadal match, and I agree to an extent because it has the best drama, an amazing comeback, and good shot making. But in my opinion their AO final has better shotmaking and some of the rallies were absolutely ridiculous. It is a shame that the only thing people remember from that match is the Trophy presentation.

As for the 2007 Wimbledon final, the same issue is present. Wimbledon 2008 largely overshadows it and people rarely bring up this final. Federer was gunning for his 5th consecutive title, and he almost lost it. I was watching parts of the 2009 Wimbledon final, and I was surprised when one of the commentators said "aren't we lucky that we have had 2 classic finals in a row at Wimbledon?". This seems to be the opinion of many people.

Why are these 2 finals ignored? Is it because Federer/Nadal went away in the fifth set losing 6-2? If only Federer was able to keep his emotions in check like Nadal at the AO and not cry until he got to the locker room, maybe the actual match would have been remembered. lol

castle007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wimbledon 2007 and Australian Open 2009 Finals are underrated!

Ehm, no they aren't?

I've seen a lot of compliments about these matches. AO 09 was heading towards GOAT levels, but Federer started netting every second ball in the fifth

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

And about the AO final, it's also that the SF was even better.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
country flag mooncreek

mooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
And about the AO final, it's also that the SF was even better.
Exactly. The thing I take from the 2009 final (it's the rivalry's best hard court match) is not so much about the play itself but Rafa being the fresher player in the 5th.

The Brian Baker Story. Proof that truth is stranger than fiction... until Hollywood buys the rights and proceeds to keep screwing the script up.
mooncreek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
country flag GOAT = Fed
Banned!

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta agree with you here. AO 09 is absolutely epic, shame that everyone forgets it because it has one mediocre set out of 5 [the last set].

It had some epic shot making, epic moments from both players.

Honestly in terms of pure shot making it's probably better than Wimbledon '08.

Wimbledon '08 for the overall package of course.

Wimbledon '07 is good but not anything special tbh.

Last edited by GOAT = Fed : 12-21-2013 at 07:34 PM.
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
country flag Andrej

Andrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond repute

AO 2009 final - Rafa's backhand's peak. I watched that match many times. Federer double faulted in lots of important moments, plus the muggy decider. It's his fault that match didn't go down as the best match ever.

W 2007 final - I think the overall level was higher than 2008, but it had less drama. Plus, this match added to the intrigue for the next year's final.
Andrej is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
country flag hadouken!

hadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond reputehadouken! has a reputation beyond repute

Australian Open 2009 was amazing!

23-10 Overall
14-6 in Finals
9-2 in GS
6-2 in GS Finals

hadouken! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
country flag JoWilly

JoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadouken! View Post
Australian Open 2009 was amazing!

Stay classy dude. Got your moral compass from Rafito and Toni I see!

Anyway, Roger should have won AO 2009, he really messed up chances. It had some great moments though, and Wimbledon 2007 was a great match. I think sometimes people confuse length and quality, like the 2013 FO semi which consisted of Djoker hitting a billion UE and then making a costly mistake in the 5th.

DJOKOVIC

FEDERER
DEL PO-DIMITROV-MURRAY-WAWRINKA-GASQUET-JANOWICZ-BERDYCH

TENNIS MUG- NADAL= Excuses, bending the rules, fluke 2010, weak clay field, classless celebrations, lucky draws, first player to lose 3 consecutive GS finals to the same man, 3 consecutive losses to players ranked outside 100 at Wimbledon including injured Darcis, only beats injured or UE strewn Djoko or Fed, embarrassed by Stronga. VAMOS!
JoWilly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
country flag Rychu
Thumps Chest Repeatedly

Rychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond repute

Shame that Fed fucked up that 5th set. Oh well, you can't have everything

Thiem - Kyrgios - Fognini - Monfils - Djokovic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police Of Mind View Post
Growth factors ain't what they used to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borna Coric View Post
When I play my best yes I'm more a Djokovic game wise. When I'm not at my best I'm more like Murray.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...69&postcount=4
Rychu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
country flag JoWilly

JoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychu View Post
Shame that Fed fucked up that 5th set. Oh well, you can't have everything
Yeah. Nando fucked up the semi too, but him choking is NID

DJOKOVIC

FEDERER
DEL PO-DIMITROV-MURRAY-WAWRINKA-GASQUET-JANOWICZ-BERDYCH

TENNIS MUG- NADAL= Excuses, bending the rules, fluke 2010, weak clay field, classless celebrations, lucky draws, first player to lose 3 consecutive GS finals to the same man, 3 consecutive losses to players ranked outside 100 at Wimbledon including injured Darcis, only beats injured or UE strewn Djoko or Fed, embarrassed by Stronga. VAMOS!
JoWilly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
country flag Shepherd

Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond reputeShepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWilly View Post
Stay classy dude.
This guy's funny.

I don't think these two finals are underrated at all.
Shepherd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

Both finals were very hard for the losers because they knew that they were in a excellent form and playing his top tennis and despite this they were defeated. This is too much to digest for players of Rafa or Roger caliber.

God is killing me

Last edited by Kiedis : 12-22-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
country flag Htom Sirveaux

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWilly View Post
Stay classy dude.
Htom Sirveaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
country flag Newcomer
Banned!

Newcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond reputeNewcomer has a reputation beyond repute

ao 2009 is a million times better than wimby2008. W08 is easily the most overrated match in tennis history.
Newcomer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
country flag ZetaKizzy

ZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond reputeZetaKizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
AO 2009 final - Rafa's backhand's peak. I watched that match many times. Federer double faulted in lots of important moments, plus the muggy decider. It's his fault that match didn't go down as the best match ever.

W 2007 final - I think the overall level was higher than 2008, but it had less drama. Plus, this match added to the intrigue for the next year's final.
Rafa's backhand kept him in the match. Then for about 3 years it disappeared. Made a comeback in 2013.

I do agree that AO 09 was a better match in terms of shotmaking, but Wimby 08 will always have the drama/storyline on its side which makes it more intriguing. I don't think Rafa went away in the final set of the 07 final. He had several break chances that Fed played immaculately. In 09 I think that 5th set was more a result of Fed being expected to win, Rafa putting more and more pressure on him, and him cracking under that pressure. The match really should've been over in 4 had Fed made good on the bps in the 3rd. That anticlimactic, error-ridden 5th set is why it suffers, whereas the 08 final's 5th set was the best set of the match.

I think it sucks that the 09 trophy ceremony seemed to overshadow the greatness of the match.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
ZetaKizzy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote