The Hobbit - Worth watching? Your thoughts please - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Yay or Nay?

It's worth watching 12 80.00%
It's not 0 0%
Lord of the Rings was soooo overrated, this will be shit 2 13.33%
What is the Hobbit - head in sand 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #16
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Hobbit - Worth watching? Your thoughts please

Go for it, Tigger! 8/10.
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
country flag Helevorn

Helevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond repute

I hate movies and the last time I watched one I was something like 13 years old, so way more than a decade has passed.

On the other hand I have read pretty much everything Tolkien wrote (as a novelist of course) in my late teens (yeah, unfortunately many many years ago), so read more and watch less movies .
Helevorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
It's an ok movie, but just like the books, LOTR is just far better.

Verdict: enjoyable movie, not an epic like LOTR.

Besides, the decision to make a 9 hour trilogy is just an epic fail. LOTR had enough material to fill 10 hours or even more, The Hobbit does not. What we get is extremely long and drawn out plots arcs as a result.
I agree...

Now let's start by saying that I will need to see this again, because I had a problem with my contact lens in my right eye, probably amplified by 3D (I hate 3D), so I spent a huge part of the film rubbing my eye, nursing it, taking my 3D glasses off, taking my lens off and putting it on again... Basically that did not improve my feeling of immersion in the movie

But other wise, I agree with you. While LOTR could easily have provided material for 4 movies, The Hobbit barely provides enough for 2, let alone 3 films.

I had tried very hard to have low expectations, because I knew it would look a little like "recycling", and that 10 years later, the LOTR magic would not operate in the same way. So in the end, I was not disappointed. I cannot say I'm crazy about this film, it's nowhere close to being as good as LOTR (and even LOTR had quite a lot of flaws, to be honest, but I loved the movies all the same). However, it was good enough.

What I liked : Martin Freeman as Bilbo; the beginning of the film when the dwarves invade Bilbo's house; the scene with Gollum (my favourite); the soundtrack (I was wondering how it would turn out, and I really like how they mixed old themes with a new one which is actually surprisingly good).

What I didn't like : It does feel like "recycling", and I believe the story really suffers from a lack of charismatic secondary characters. For me, Thorin is really a poor man's Aragorn, it's a very stereotypical character with very little depth, and apart from trying to make him look "majestic", nothing at all makes him charismatic. The other characters are not particularly interesting, apart from Gollum of course, and Gandalf but we already know Gandalf well enough.

So my advice would be : go and see it, but do no expect another LOTR.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote