The Hobbit - Worth watching? Your thoughts please - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Yay or Nay?

It's worth watching 12 80.00%
It's not 0 0%
Lord of the Rings was soooo overrated, this will be shit 2 13.33%
What is the Hobbit - head in sand 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Hobbit - Worth watching? Your thoughts please

Your thoughts on the years most anticipated film (okay, maybe Dark Knight was also)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Hobbit - Worth watching? Your thoughts please

I loved Jackson's work in LOTR.
And I think this is at that level, as good as them.
That's just my opinion, but I really enjoyed it, I watched it today and it was really worth it.

4.5 stars.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

It's an ok movie, but just like the books, LOTR is just far better.

Verdict: enjoyable movie, not an epic like LOTR.

Besides, the decision to make a 9 hour trilogy is just an epic fail. LOTR had enough material to fill 10 hours or even more, The Hobbit does not. What we get is extremely long and drawn out plots arcs as a result.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was fabulous. I'm actually onside with this decision to make it a trilogy of films. I would have happily stayed in the cinema for another five hours to see the story unfold further. I was just getting into it, and then it stopped.

I read 'The Hobbit' when I was eight or nine years-old. Obviously my memory isn't good enough to recall everything that happens in it. However, a lot of the stuff in this film felt new to me. I really enjoyed it though. It was epic fantasy that I just love.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I thought it was fabulous. I'm actually onside with this decision to make it a trilogy of films. I would have happily stayed in the cinema for another five hours to see the story unfold further. I was just getting into it, and then it stopped.

I read 'The Hobbit' when I was eight or nine years-old. Obviously my memory isn't good enough to recall everything that happens in it. However, a lot of the stuff in this film felt new to me. I really enjoyed it though. It was epic fantasy that I just love.
That's because the film makers decided to mix the Hobbit plot with some other ones taken from Unfinished Tales. Otheriwse they couldn't have stretched this project to three 3-hour movies.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the movie. But rumour has it that IMDB's ratings on this one were fixed by Tolkeintards.

I hope not, because the LOTR series got their high marks on merit.
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

It's a decent watch, though they shouldn't be dragging it out over three films

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've heard I'm sure Jackson will use some sense and make the next 2 significantly shorter.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

As you'd expect from the series it's visually stunning. Watched it in 3D due to no other option at the time, but it's done better than most 3D movies.

Never been a fan of the LOTR story, so sleepwalked through that, and wasn't into the comedic scenes they decided to go for and the three or so sing-songs (I'm guessing they used them from the book) but overall a well made adventure plot with most of the regular cast getting a tidy look in, especially Golem.

Give it a 72/100
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

I loved it; sure you can nitpik it but it was thoroughly enjoyable; An A for me and I thought it went by so fast. And although it has the middle earth feel to it, it has a lot of funny wry comments which is what the Hobbit was about. LOTR was a much darker story. And for any aficenardos out there it will help to read the appendices of LOTR. BTW critics don't seem to love it as much as fans.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

More good then bad so I will watch it.

I heard its pretty long but I love long movies

Anyone knows if this was also filmed in New Zealand?
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having a difficult time expressing my opinion about this. People who know me know that this is a rare occurence :P

There were parts of the movie that were absolutely fantastic. The entire scene where Bilbo meets Gandalf and the company of dwarves is great, the riddles-scene with Gollum is great. There were actors that were really well-cast: namely Martin Freeman as Bilbo, Richard Armitage as Thorin, Ian McKellen as Gandalf, and ofc Andy Serkis as Gollem. There was scenery that looked amazing: the dwarven city under the mountain, the Shire, the misty Mountains (waay better than in LOTR), Rivendell.

But then there was quite alot of bad in this film. The film feels stretched out. There is so much filler: Every scene with Radagast for instance. The introduction with old Bilbo and Frodo. The entire backstory of Thorin and the white Orc. Most of the scenes in Rivendell. The scene with the stone giants is stretched and has stupid CGI, even the scene in Goblin-town feels bad.
There are loads of unnecessary characters: Radagast, the white Orc, old Bilbo, Frodo, Galadriel, Saruman, did I mention Radagast? Other than Thorin, the only dwarves that are memorably are Balin and Fili. Balin has a counselling role and is kind to Bilbo throughout. Fili shoots a bow and arrow and as a result has more screentime. The other 10 dwarves are all completely forgettable.
Then there is look and feel of Middle-Earth and it's inhabitants. This was done to absolute perfection in LOTR. Here it just isn't. Most of the dwarves look silly and un-dwarflike. The goblin king looks stupid. Radagast looks..well he shouldn't have been in there anyways.
The added humour is awkward and bad. Especially the goblin king, and ofcourse Radagast.

I could go on, but I won't. I am abit of a fantasy geek, and I like Tolkien's work alot. I understand that most of the extra stuff they've chucked in is in the appendices, but my question is why? The answer is ofcourse money. It mostly disrupts the storyline.

I guess I'm disappointed.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Going to see it upcoming week, have high hopes for this one. The wait is finally over.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond repute

It is definitely worth watching for nostalgia alone (assuming you read the books/watched the LotR trilogy in your childhood). I'll just copy and paste what I said in the other thread:
Quote:
Saw it today. Bit of a mixed bag. Jackson really invites the comparisons to the LotR trilogy.

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is padded, though I didn't find it to be too much of problem for the most part. Sequences of Smaug attacking Erebon and of Radagast the wizard are worthy and interesting additions.

However, we have the invented goblin king and another particularly nasty orc, similar to the one in the Fellowship film (At least, I think these only exist in the film. It's been 11 years since I've read the novel so maybe this criticism is bullshit). Still, the problem is these antagonists are just the worst kind of cardboard villains. Just stock obstacles that bear no real significance or add any real tension.

All of the dwarves, except Thorin, lack development. So we follow this large party of mostly indistinguishable characters.

The film starts in essentially the exact same place as the LotR films, prior to Bilbo's birthday. So we have Ian Holm and Elijah Wood reprising their roles in what I assume will be bookends for the trilogy. This is the most obvious way Jackson invites the comparisons, by structuring this trilogy in the same manner. I find this strange as at first he didn't want to direct and gave the project to Guillermo del Toro because he wanted The Hobbit to stand on its own. Yet it seems he does everything he can to relate it to his previous trilogy.

The choice to end it at the "out of the frying pan, into the fire" part is pretty unsatisfying too. Being rescued by the birds ends the film on a big deus ex machina. Yes I know this happened in the novel but making it the climax of this film places more emphasis on it.

These are just some rambling thoughts I had after seeing it today. I did mostly enjoy it. I just wish instead of extended action sequences and big set pieces to fill the length out, we could have had some character building.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing it tomorrow, hope the poll is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote