Shooting leaves 27 dead in Connecticut, USA - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #31
country flag vucina

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shooting leaves 27 dead in Connecticut, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
In Norway a madman believing he's a Templar knight or similar kind of crap killed over 70 people, I'm sure you're familiar with that. There will be always mad people, but guns should never be readily available.
A terrorist can always buy weapons illegally. He also bought manure to build a bomb. Are you saying we should ban manure?
vucina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #32
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Just tragic. My thoughts are with all concerned.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #33
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Is America the only country where such open shoot outs occur? What about Norway?
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #34
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
Is America the only country where such open shoot outs occur? What about Norway?
No, but it's where it happens most often.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
No, but it's where it happens most often.
Population of USA also affects to that. I wonder how much more common incidents like this are in USA than in EU if population is taken into account.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #36
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vucina View Post
A terrorist can always buy weapons illegally. He also bought manure to build a bomb. Are you saying we should ban manure?
Breivik took great pains and many years to execute his plan. It was probably next to impossible to prevent that. This shooter had a whole arsenal of weapons in his own house, stashed like normal people stash water or toilet papers, all he had to do was stretch his arm. Are you saying you can't notice any difference between those two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Instead, what the focus should be is better education on mental problems people face. Supposedly the shooter from yesterday had some mental issues but clearly he wasn't watched too carefully.
He had a house full of guns, semi-automatic rifles and hundreds of rounds of ammo at disposal. If you don't see any problem with that, then nothing more to add I guess.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #37
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Population of USA also affects to that. I wonder how much more common incidents like this are in USA than in EU if population is taken into account.
Well the EU is much more populated than the US and 11 of the last 20 massive shootings have taken place in the US.

Also this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #38
country flag noddzy

noddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond reputenoddzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post

No matter what, there will NEVER be a realistic solution that will work out for gun control at least here in the United States were individual states are so torn apart on such issues themselves.

Instead, what the focus should be is better education on mental problems people face. Supposedly the shooter from yesterday had some mental issues but clearly he wasn't watched too carefully. Obviously no one excepts someone to commit such an atrocity even if they are mentally unsound, but I think too many similar people don't get the proper attention when they show signs of obvious trouble.
We understand very little of the human brain and how it works to say that we will be able to make any substantial progress towards detecting and controlling mental illnesses in your and my lifetime(and in the next 100 years). Unless nature endows us with a genetic mutation which turns 10% of earth's population into psychic beings capable of detecting criminal thoughts before the crime occurs (cue Minority Report), we are many generations away from being able to prevent such crimes through psychological evaluation of said future criminals.

It is true that we will never be able to perfectly control the distribution and use of firearms even if effective controls were imposed on society at large, but the data (shown below) shows that there enough correlation between strict control of firearms and homicides and other firearm related deaths, to impose such regulations. No regulation is perfect, but the goal here is not perfection, but minimization of firearm related homicides/suicides.

Firearm-related death-rate per 100,000 population in one year

USA 9.0
France 3.0
Germany 1.10
Australia 1.04
UK 0.22
Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #39
country flag vucina

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Breivik took great pains and many years to execute his plan. It was probably next to impossible to prevent that. This shooter had a whole arsenal of weapons in his own house, stashed like normal people stash water or toilet papers, all he had to do was stretch his arm. Are you saying you can't notice any difference between those two?

He had a house full of guns, semi-automatic rifles and hundreds of rounds of ammo at disposal. If you don't see any problem with that, then nothing more to add I guess.
No you leftist clown, I can't. A bomb can be made very easily out of household items and you can always buy a gun. All criminals have them, but without a license. Psychos in China and other Asian countries kill people with machetes, knives, acid and poison. Would you ban that as well?
Ban on guns would just leave law abiding people defenseless against criminals and tyrannical governments, and normal Americans know it. That's why they don't give their guns.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #40
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vucina View Post
Ban on guns would just leave law abiding people defenseless against criminals and tyrannical governments, and normal Americans know it.
Spare me that pathetic crap. When exactly do you or those law abiding people plan to arm a gun and go against tyrannical goverment(s)?
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
country flag vucina

Quote:
Spare me that pathetic crap. When exactly do you or those law abiding people plan to arm a gun and go against tyrannical goverment(s)?
I would never do something like that.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #42
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

i can't believe someone would kill elementary schools

time to ban guns, i don't' give a shit about freedom anymore when we have like 5 shootings a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #43
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who said that I don't have a problem with civilians having weapons... That wasn't my point and obviously you can read that in my previous comments. I DO indeed have an issue with civilians carrying weapons, but here in America it will be impossible to control such things. "Rednecks" will always advocate for availability of weapons for all their hunting escapades and whatever, just feeling more "manly" having a weapon on them for self-defense, while many other people are paranoid and will buy weapons for their protection. These people will always have a case to make for lawmakers. And for the hundredth time, no matter how strict gun laws get, a nutcase like that shooter will end up getting a gun somewhere, trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddzy View Post
We understand very little of the human brain and how it works to say that we will be able to make any substantial progress towards detecting and controlling mental illnesses in your and my lifetime(and in the next 100 years). Unless nature endows us with a genetic mutation which turns 10% of earth's population into psychic beings capable of detecting criminal thoughts before the crime occurs (cue Minority Report), we are many generations away from being able to prevent such crimes through psychological evaluation of said future criminals.

It is true that we will never be able to perfectly control the distribution and use of firearms even if effective controls were imposed on society at large, but the data (shown below) shows that there enough correlation between strict control of firearms and homicides and other firearm related deaths, to impose such regulations. No regulation is perfect, but the goal here is not perfection, but minimization of firearm related homicides/suicides.

Firearm-related death-rate per 100,000 population in one year

USA 9.0
France 3.0
Germany 1.10
Australia 1.04
UK 0.22
More than half that number is related to suicides I see, but regardless the way I see it. Stricter gun control will lower those situations that usually involve 1 person shooting another person, but such shootings like yesterday will most likely continue to happen in my opinion regardless of the gun laws.

Obviously mental behavior and health is a very difficult field to study and analyze, and there is only so much people can do as it isn't as obvious as a broken leg, but if schools and the government can provide more information on such things and make the public better aware of such a misunderstood topic, people would be more inclined to bring someone like the shooter into some clinic to be properly taken care of.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #44
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Just read on twitter that former ATP CEO Adam Helfant's niece Grace was one of the victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #45
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
So many idiots saying "this could've been prevented if teachers were armed."

Yeah, because that's exactly what we need, more guns in schools
like you said, idiots