Bronze-medal match might be eliminated - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bronze-medal match might be eliminated

This really demonstrates how irrelevant the Olympics actually are when it comes to the sport of tennis

Quote:
ROME (AP) -- Tennis officials are considering adding third-set tiebreakers at the 2016 Rio Olympics after marathon matches in London this year.

Also, bronze-medal matches could be eliminated to lighten the loads of players entered in multiple events.

ITF president Francesco Ricci Bitti tells The Associated Press at the European Olympic Committees meeting in Rome that the matches this year were "very balanced and very long and that ruins the scheduling somewhat."

Roger Federer beat Juan Martin del Potro 3-6, 7-6 (5), 19-17 in the London semifinals and was soundly beaten by Andy Murray in straight sets in the gold-medal match.

If bronze-medal matches are eliminated, it would mark a return to handing out two bronzes for each of the semifinal losers, as happened at the 1988 Seoul Games.
Sports Illustrated/AP

EDIT: Not "irrelevant"; the format change doesn't point to the tournament's relevance.

Last edited by MIMIC : 12-09-2012 at 12:36 PM.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bronze-medal match might be eliminated

Soo, because the Olympics choose to adopt the same way tennis is always played (no match for the losing semifinalists), it's a sign it's irrelevant to the sport?

Yeah, that seems logical

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
country flag BedsheetRubber92

BedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond reputeBedsheetRubber92 has a reputation beyond repute

While third set tiebreaks are totally reasonable for anything but the final match, losing the bronze medal match would suck. The massive denial of Djokovic at the hands of JMDP was something to behold.

Just kidddding. They should give gold medals to all of the semi finalists, silver to all of the quarter finalists, and bronze to the rest of field. That way everyone is a winner.

The competitive money driven nature of tennis really needs to take a back seat to the "everyone is a winner" mentality psychologists have proven to be necessary in today's developing adults.
BedsheetRubber92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Soo, because the Olympics choose to adopt the same way tennis is always played (no match for the losing semifinalists), it's a sign it's irrelevant to the sport?

Yeah, that seems logical
That's not what I was basing my comment on. I was basing it on the fact that no other sport (that I can think of, at least) would award the same medal to two different countries for the same event.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
Well, I can't think of any other sport that would award the same medal to two different countries for the same event.
Judo, any time based sport where they end up with the same time

Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
country flag Lurking

Lurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Judo
And every other combat sport.

Olympics still has a Bo5 final, which makes more relevant than the WTF.
Lurking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
country flag MIMIC

Quote:
Well I stand corrected then.

The Olympics are just irrelevant (or rather, less than relevant) for other reasons

EDIT: Maybe "irrelevant" was the wrong word. It's just not the premiere tournament of the sport (like it is for gymnastics, swimming, track & field, etc.) Considering what I know now, it's no more or less relevant.

Last edited by MIMIC : 12-09-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

well it's correct that judo, wrestling and taekwando hands out 2 bronze matches but it has nothing to do with "not having bronze match". In fact they have 2 bronze matches. Losers of early matches go into repechage, or what is often called consolations or wrestlebacks in the U.S. The winners of the repechage brackets face the losers of the semifinals for the two bronzes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...5582--oly.html

Tennis should of course keep it's bronze match because it doesn't have the problem of those combat sports. It just shows that tennis in Olympics is more about show. You should not be awarded a medal for losing semi. Medals are won

Edit: Saw that article says boxing doesn't have repechage? I'm pretty sure it does. I watched it in London 2012 and then they definitely had repechage or I'm just imagining it. Anyhow in that sport I guess you can lose so badly with knockout in semi that it could be stupid to go another match just hours later for bronze. Not a problem for tennis that doesn't have to finish up in one day.

Last edited by MaxPower : 12-09-2012 at 02:49 PM.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

I think bronze matches suit to Olympic tennis just as well as to Olympic basketball/football/ice hockey. Bronze match isn't a natural part of playoff competitions, yet there's a bronze match in the Olympics. So, have a bronze match in Olympic tennis.

And final set TB, please not at 6-6 but rather at 20-20. That's when the final set is getting too long. And that's the case also in slams.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
country flag Acer

Acer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's not what I was basing my comment on. I was basing it on the fact that no other sport (that I can think of, at least) would award the same medal to two different countries for the same event.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

This is the correct decision to make.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
country flag Soliloque

Soliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea
Soliloque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
country flag GSMnadal

I think they've jumped the gun on the final set tiebreak. Only reason we had those matches was because it was held on grass this time around.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
country flag Tommo

Tommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond reputeTommo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Well I stand corrected then.

The Olympics are just irrelevant (or rather, less than relevant) for other reasons

EDIT: Maybe "irrelevant" was the wrong word. It's just not the premiere tournament of the sport (like it is for gymnastics, swimming, track & field, etc.) Considering what I know now, it's no more or less relevant.
And not just time based sports. Boxing has always had two bronze medals. Boxing is probably bigger as an Olympic sport than tennis so if anything, switching to their format, makes tennis more relevant...
Tommo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

it is really strange how they can let the 3rd set go on and on like the 5th set of grand slam matches
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote