Five Matches That Defined Your Favourite Player's 2012 Season - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #31
country flag Yolita
Registered User
 
Yolita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,984
Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five Matches That Defined Your Favourite Player's 2012 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
I told ya Djokertards either started to watch tennis only from 2011, or they have amnesia of any tennis pre 2011
Not all... Some of us remember...

I remember very well in 2006, a Davis Cup tie between Switzerland and Serbia-Montenegro. I remember a skinny teenager playing his heart out for his country, even if he was facing the #1 player, who was at his peak, 25 years old, with the home support. But the skinny teenager was not waving a white flag, as was the fashion those days when playing Roger, he lost in straights to him, of course, but he fought with everything he had, and he also took Wawrinka to 5 sets.

And I remember the #1 player in the world, who was enjoying one of the best seasons ever, who was en route to finish the year as #1 for a 3rd consecutive year, go out of his way to call Novak "a joke", saying he wasn't really all that talented and predicting that he wouldn't amount to much.

To have the undisputed #1 player go after an 18-year old, who's playing a Davis Cup tie away from home is not cool.

The next year Novak beat him in a Masters final ( having beaten the #3 and the #2 consecutively to get to the final)... I remember that.

And I also remember thinking, when I read Roger's words: "I hope these words come back and bite you, these are unkind words from a #1 player to a teenager playing Davis Cup".

I'm not surprised that the skinny boy with the big heart is the one who's sitting at the top of the rankings right now. For a 2nd consecutive year. The fact that he also beat Roger in the final of the WTFs, after Roger had, whether intentionally or not, taken the bench allocated to the #1 player, is just the cherry on the cake.
__________________
NOVAK DJOKOVIC
Yolita is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #32
country flag Freak3yman84
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,705
Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five Matches That Defined Your Favourite Player's 2012 Season

Tuna Altuna:

1. Kumantsov def. Altuna 3-6 7-5 7-6(2)

I don't think this one was streamed, but Altuna really troubled a player ranked some 500+ spots ahead of him.

2. Desein def. Altuna 5-7 6-2 6-1

I don't think this one was streamed, but Altuna really played well in his first QF of the season. You could just tell that he put 110% into this match.

3. Ergeneman def. Altuna 1-6 7-6(6)

I don't think this one was streamed, but this was a tough blow for Tuna. A shoulder injury right in the middle of his breakthrough season?! Maan this was one tough blow.

4. Giustino def. Altuna 6-3 6-0

I don't think this one was streamed, but Tuna really struggled in this encounter with his former compatriot.

5. Dzumhur def. Altuna 7-5 6-2

I don't think this one was streamed, but I don't think Tuna ever really recovered from this one.


Wow, I can't believe I chose 5(!) losses for Tuna!
__________________
Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #33
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast
 
emotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 19
Posts: 39,031
emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five Matches That Defined Your Favourite Player's 2012 Season

I was rather amused by that, I confess.
__________________


Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #34
country flag ProdigyEng
#1
 
ProdigyEng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 22
Posts: 29,025
ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five Matches That Defined Your Favourite Player's 2012 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
Not all... Some of us remember...

I remember very well in 2006, a Davis Cup tie between Switzerland and Serbia-Montenegro. I remember a skinny teenager playing his heart out for his country, even if he was facing the #1 player, who was at his peak, 25 years old, with the home support. But the skinny teenager was not waving a white flag, as was the fashion those days when playing Roger, he lost in straights to him, of course, but he fought with everything he had, and he also took Wawrinka to 5 sets.

And I remember the #1 player in the world, who was enjoying one of the best seasons ever, who was en route to finish the year as #1 for a 3rd consecutive year, go out of his way to call Novak "a joke", saying he wasn't really all that talented and predicting that he wouldn't amount to much.

To have the undisputed #1 player go after an 18-year old, who's playing a Davis Cup tie away from home is not cool.

The next year Novak beat him in a Masters final ( having beaten the #3 and the #2 consecutively to get to the final)... I remember that.

And I also remember thinking, when I read Roger's words: "I hope these words come back and bite you, these are unkind words from a #1 player to a teenager playing Davis Cup".

I'm not surprised that the skinny boy with the big heart is the one who's sitting at the top of the rankings right now. For a 2nd consecutive year. The fact that he also beat Roger in the final of the WTFs, after Roger had, whether intentionally or not, taken the bench allocated to the #1 player, is just the cherry on the cake.



Great post. Nothing better than seeing federror getting shut up and humbled. He's made harsh comments about all the other members of the top four, only for it to eventually come back round on him and bite him in the ass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportstennis View Post
And, Roger Federer ranks 5th.
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #35
country flag Freak3yman84
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,705
Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
I was rather amused by that, I confess.
Don't lie.
__________________
Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #36
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,401
Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five Matches That Defined Your Favourite Player's 2012 Season

There is acutally a player called Tuna Altuna! I didn't believe Freaky at first, then I looked it up on the ATP website.

My life is now complete.
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #37
country flag Yolita
Registered User
 
Yolita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,984
Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five Matches That Defined Your Favourite Player's 2012 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Tuna Altuna:

1. Kumantsov def. Altuna 3-6 7-5 7-6(2)

I don't think this one was streamed, but Altuna really troubled a player ranked some 500+ spots ahead of him.

2. Desein def. Altuna 5-7 6-2 6-1

I don't think this one was streamed, but Altuna really played well in his first QF of the season. You could just tell that he put 110% into this match.

3. Ergeneman def. Altuna 1-6 7-6(6)

I don't think this one was streamed, but this was a tough blow for Tuna. A shoulder injury right in the middle of his breakthrough season?! Maan this was one tough blow.

4. Giustino def. Altuna 6-3 6-0

I don't think this one was streamed, but Tuna really struggled in this encounter with his former compatriot.

5. Dzumhur def. Altuna 7-5 6-2

I don't think this one was streamed, but I don't think Tuna ever really recovered from this one.


Wow, I can't believe I chose 5(!) losses for Tuna!


Great post.
__________________
NOVAK DJOKOVIC
Yolita is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #38
country flag r2473
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 41
Posts: 2,396
r2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five Matches That Defined Your Favourite Player's 2012 Season

Lukas Rosol:

1. Australian; Petzschner def. Rosol 6-0 6-0 6-2

Rosol was a figher in this match scratching out 2 games in the third set to avoid the triple bagel.

2. Prague CH; Bedene def. Rosol 3-6 6-4 6-1

Again, amazing effort avoiding the bagel in the third set.

3. Roland Garros Monaco def. Rosol 7-6(4) 6-0 7-6(5)

Tiebreaker and bagel sandwich. Tasty!!!

4. Dallas CH Cilic def. Rosol 6-0 7-6(2)

Bagel and tiebreak. A Rosol special.

5. Wimbledon Rosol def. Nadal 6-7(9) 6-4 6-4 2-6 6-4

Easy win over clay court specialist. Never in doubt. But as Rosol understands, a great champion will always take care of business against an opponent he's expected to beat. Especially in the 5th set. Routine wins are sometimes the most important.
r2473 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #39
country flag manadrainer
Registered User
 
manadrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 31
Posts: 1,978
manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
Lukas Rosol:

1. Australian; Petzschner def. Rosol 6-0 6-0 6-2

Rosol was a figher in this match scratching out 2 games in the third set to avoid the triple bagel.

2. Prague CH; Bedene def. Rosol 3-6 6-4 6-1

Again, amazing effort avoiding the bagel in the third set.

3. Roland Garros Monaco def. Rosol 7-6(4) 6-0 7-6(5)

Tiebreaker and bagel sandwich. Tasty!!!

4. Dallas CH Cilic def. Rosol 6-0 7-6(2)

Bagel and tiebreak. A Rosol special.

5. Wimbledon Rosol def. Nadal 6-7(9) 6-4 6-4 2-6 6-4

Easy win over clay court specialist. Never in doubt. But as Rosol understands, a great champion will always take care of business against an opponent he's expected to beat. Especially in the 5th set. Routine wins are sometimes the most important.
__________________
8th day of July 2012: 7-time Wimbledon champion!

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!


17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios