Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt3) - Page 56 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #826
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
As for the guy in The impossible, he was really great, that is true. But Bardem's character was so odd, it was borderline genius for me.
I didn't see Skyfall so I can't comment. I was more commiserating about a great performance not recognized by an nomination.

I would like to read that book now
star is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #827
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt3)

The Impossible? You should I am glad you liked the movie. I cried during it, and I never do. The kids also do such a great job. The movie makes you believe in humankind, and god knows, sometimes we need to be reassured about that.
arm is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #828
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
WIt's true about IB that the history being portrayed in an alternative way does not have serious consequences even if people choose to believe that version. But for me, making such movies is still pretty much pointless. And Tarantino's only point and purpose with IB was giving it a twist of violence. Like WWII wasn't violent enough. I mean, yeah, if you end up thinking Hitler was killed that way, fine, no big problem for the society, but isn't it disrespectful to change the history that is about millions of people who suffered during those times? I just can't agree with these movies. History, especially history about wars, is a serious thing, and one that shouldn't be taken lightly. Making a movie changing big facts is for me taking the pain of many people lightly.
I do get the point you are making, but I do not agree that by making the film Tarantino is automatically disrespectful towards those that suffered through WW II. Heck, the very first scene with the family hiding under the floor shows quite well how gruesome that war was. But I agree, there is a fine line here between showing an alternative story to what happened in reality in order to tell an interesting story and showing an alternative story in order to include more violence, a line Tarantino certainly skirts here. Let us agree to disagree.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #829
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollicki View Post
I do get the point you are making, but I do not agree that by making the film Tarantino is automatically disrespectful towards those that suffered through WW II. Heck, the very first scene with the family hiding under the floor shows quite well how gruesome that war was. But I agree, there is a fine line here between showing an alternative story to what happened in reality in order to tell an interesting story and showing an alternative story in order to include more violence, a line Tarantino certainly skirts here. Let us agree to disagree.
I do get your point too. Especially about IB. But do believe me when I tell you that a lot of people could possibly feel hurt with IB, sadly but conveniently, most of them were dead before the movie was filmed...

I take History very serious, you know. It's just that History is already so relative, 2 different people having lived through the same war will tell 2 different stories about it... so why should we make it even worse and invent our own alternative version. I don't get the point.

And I really don't like Tarantino. That might influence my opinion too.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #830
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do get your point too. Especially about IB. But do believe me when I tell you that a lot of people could possibly feel hurt with IB, sadly but conveniently, most of them were dead before the movie was filmed...

I take History very serious, you know. It's just that History is already so relative, 2 different people having lived through the same war will tell 2 different stories about it... so why should we make it even worse and invent our own alternative version. I don't get the point.

And I really don't like Tarantino. That might influence my opinion too.
Fair enough. BTW, is The Impossible that film about the Indian Ocean tsunami?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #831
country flag arm

Indeed, it is. We were such kids when it happened.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #832
country flag Trollicki

Another film on my list then. Although I am not sure my budget can handle all the films I want to see
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #833
country flag arm

watch it online. I did. There is an awesome portuguese website with almost any movie you want to watch. It has subtitles, so no problem with the language.

oxe7.com
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #834
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

You know I was thinking about what you said about people having a responsibility to be educated and know the truth and not be influenced by movies. It's also true what you said about people believing what they want to believe for their own reasons.

I think it is ok to make up things, but I think it's another thing to make up things and let people think they are true or even tell people they are true. I give you the example of Argo where we are told all the time that it is a true story when only the bare bones of the story are true. We are left to think that the UK refused to help the Americans when that is not true. The UK helped as much as they thought it was safe to help, and by safe i mean not only for them but also for the Americans. This Mendes was not a lone cowboy going into Iran and bucking the system. The Carter administration is left looking heartless and as if they risked the lives of the embassy workers when in fact the go/no go decision was made when Mendes (with his partner who also went with him to Iran) were in Germany. There was no brinksmanship with the tickets. In fact, the wife of the Canadian ambassador was the person who bought the tickets well in advance. Yet people will think this movie is true because over and over it is said that it is a true story. There was no showdown at the airport. There was no reading of the script. One of the men shown as a producer is a completely made up person. I could go on and on.

Haven't we learned from superb propagandists that people are susceptible to lies -- or fiction? How many people in this country grew up believing Washington said "I cannot tell a lie. I chopped down that cherry tree." Maybe that's harmless, but is it good for people to believe these things thinking they are true?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #835
country flag Trollicki

Propagnda has been known to be a very influential tool in shaping how the masses perceive things, that I agree with. I also agree with the statement that people who control the media ought to have this in mind when making a movie. Thing is, to me there is a big difference between Argo and those Tarantino films, because it has repeatedly been said that Argo is based on a true story. As you said, telling people outright something is true when it is not is unethical. When it happens, that ought to be rectified in some manner (perhaps by a disclaimer or something), because yes, if you tell a lie a 100 times people will think it is true. So all in all, to me there is a difference between making up a story and not telling it is false on the one hand and telling it is true when it is not on the other.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #836
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Bumper Sticker I saw in my son's school's parking lot

P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
Lee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #837
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

I want to stay up and watch tennis but then my eyes close... :-(
College basketball sucks.
savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 AM   #838
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a little of Berankis's match. Very impressive!
Lee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #839
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

I just got back to my room. Watching a little now, but I'll be sleepy soon.

I think I just saw that PHM's partner has cancer.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 AM   #840
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

I am proud of him

I saw him play in juniors ages ago at the USO Alex should take note of what I expect from people I watch...
College basketball sucks.
savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread