Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt3) - Page 208 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #3106
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt3)

So, I spent the weekend so far reading and researching about the Trans-Siberian. So far here are some thoughts in my head:
  • Deciding the stops I want to make before Beijin:
    - I don't think I want to stop before Irkutsk, which means the first leg of the trip (Moscow - Irkutsk) would last something like 80 hours.... 80 hours on a train
    - If I were to stop before and divide that first leg, I could stop in Perma (boring industrial city, but I could take a trip to Perm-36 Prison Camp) or Yekaterinburg to take a trip to the Ural Mountains. But really, I would rather not waste time before Lake Baikal or Mongolia, but I think my friend won't agree on an 80 hour train.
    - Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude stops around lake Baikal. Should I stop in both? Supposedly the best beaches are in Ulan-Ude, but Irkutsk is a city, with a lot to offer, and hikes and treks are better on this side of the lake, and I could also go to Olkhon Island which should be amazing.
    - In Mongolia I want to go to the Gobi Desert, but maybe joining a tour is best? I need to look for cheap organized tours online.
    - In China, I want to take a trekking tour in the Great Wall so bad. Lee what are some advices you can give on sightseeing the wall? Do you think a 2 or 3 day tour would be a good choice?

• Buying tickets shouldn't be too hard, I found 2 good websites and their fees aren't too high since their prices are close to the prices at the Russian Stations. But I don't know when to buy them. I am not sure of the dates yet, but I don't want to risk letting the tickets run out.

• Mongolian visa will be a pain in the a** to get. There is no embassy here, the closest is in Paris. i might have to pay an agency a fortune to get it.

• How the hell am I going to pack a bag for 5 months that has to include clothes for winter and summer. And I will have to bring my laptop with me which is going to make me worry about it all the time.

You guys don't have to read this. I just had to write it down so that I could summarize in my head, no better place to do it than here.
arm is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #3107
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollicki View Post
Did any of you use to play a sport competitively?
I did Ballet for 14 years, took Royal Academy Exams and stuff. Does it count?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3108
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
We play soccer in the streets from age 2. Well maybe not me. I don't know about baseball and american football, but for sure soccer is harder than basketball for example. It's really easy to spot in high schools here, and in this case I am not speaking for personal experience given than I am short.

I think basketball is easy in terms of rules and throwing. Where I grew up, I think every home had a hoop and even though we didn't have enough children to play a game, we played a lot of HORSE and just generally shot around. The nice thing about basketball is that it only needs one kid, a hoop and a ball. Plus it's good for the winter in school. It was the most popular sport by far where I grew up. Well, the rules of modern basketball were written in my state -- so there you go. I still think college ball is the most exciting game. Pro ball, not so much because they just conserve energy until the end of the game and only play all out during the playoffs. I hate that sort of thing.
star is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #3109
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't a meteorite landed near Ural Mountains lately? And no idea about the Great Wall My last experience there was beofre you're born and I was with a guided tour. At that time, foreigners were not allowed to explore themselves although I was not treated as foreigner but Chinese from Hong Kong/Macau. So I actually had access to places which were prohibited for foreigners.
Lee is online now View My Blog!  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #3110
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
I used to play as a goalkeeper in primary school if that counts lol.
Of course Was that your favourite position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I played basketball for my school during my junior high days, i.e. from grade 7-9. Unfortunately, at the end of grade 9, I was the same height as I started in grade 7. Everyone I played with outgrew me in height Plus a serious ankle injury spelt the end of my basketball career
Injuries are awful. Do you follow basketball?

Quote:
Of course it counts, heck, I have done an introductory course for several styles of dancing, including ballet, and that´s a very demanding way of dancing I´ve found. Do you still occasionally do ballet?
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #3111
country flag arm

No. I stopped when I came to University.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #3112
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...Transsiberian shenanigans...
http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm#.UTN-PTDkpZo

You´ve probably already found it, but it might help.

Quote:
No. I stopped when I came to University.
Do you plan on continuing recreationally post-University? Because it seems you did not stop willingly
Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #3113
country flag arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I think basketball is easy in terms of rules and throwing. Where I grew up, I think every home had a hoop and even though we didn't have enough children to play a game, we played a lot of HORSE and just generally shot around. The nice thing about basketball is that it only needs one kid, a hoop and a ball. Plus it's good for the winter in school. It was the most popular sport by far where I grew up. Well, the rules of modern basketball were written in my state -- so there you go. I still think college ball is the most exciting game. Pro ball, not so much because they just conserve energy until the end of the game and only play all out during the playoffs. I hate that sort of thing.
I love playing basketball tbh, although my height can often be a problem. But watching is too boring. I absolutely love playing volleyball of 6, but it doesn't happen often becaus you need to have 12 people to play.

Quote:
Didn't a meteorite landed near Ural Mountains lately? And no idea about the Great Wall My last experience there was beofre you're born and I was with a guided tour. At that time, foreigners were not allowed to explore themselves although I was not treated as foreigner but Chinese from Hong Kong/Macau. So I actually had access to places which were prohibited for foreigners.
This is not the part that needs a lot of planning so I am not worrying. As long as I get to Beijing and I have like 7 or 8 days to spare there.. I'll figure it out.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #3114
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would flat out suck at Baseball. Coordination is no good, and whilst I manage with Tennis, there's no way I could manage Baseball considering how small the hitting area is lol.

For me baseball is easier than tennis. But in baseball you are expected to strike out and in tennis you are supposed to hit the ball every time. but here for recreation we play softball normally. That's easier. In school it was hardball.

Quote:
Impressive!!

I vote for 80 hours on the train. Why waste time where you don't want to be simply for the sake of being off the train? Plus you can walk around on the train. Also vote for one stop at the lake in order to explore in depth.

The gobi is far from the capital according to the map in my head. Actual maps may differ.

Wouldn't you think that there would be displays of interesting dinosaurs tho? Also I would want to see the camels. And also so many other things in Mongolia. Oh, read a book about ghengis Kahn on the train. Fabulous stuff if you don't mind blood and gore. It's sort of like a fantasy novel. Oh, and on line we have to watch the cave of the yellow dog. It has the darling east little girl as the main character.
star is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #3115
country flag arm

Quote:
http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm#.UTN-PTDkpZo

You´ve probably already found it, but it might help.

Do you plan on continuing recreationally post-University? Because it seems you did not stop willingly
Thanks for the link

I stopped willingly. There is a time for everything, I did ballet for 14 years, never wanted to become a pro (not that I could have, I wasn't that good), it was just a hobby. Now I have other hobbies. And some of the skills I got from ballet I will never lose.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #3116
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In Hong Kong, there is no basketball to follow Soccer is the only professional sport. And since I dropped out of sports, I had to keep all my focus on studying. There was hardly sports coverage in the dinosaur era of TV coverage and no computer or internet
Old 03-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #3117
country flag arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
For me baseball is easier than tennis. But in baseball you are expected to strike out and in tennis you are supposed to hit the ball every time. but here for recreation we play softball normally. That's easier. In school it was hardball.

Impressive!!

I vote for 80 hours on the train. Why waste time where you don't want to be simply for the sake of being off the train? Plus you can walk around on the train. Also vote for one stop at the lake in order to explore in depth.

The gobi is far from the capital according to the map in my head. Actual maps may differ.

Wouldn't you think that there would be displays of interesting dinosaurs tho? Also I would want to see the camels. And also so many other things in Mongolia. Oh, read a book about ghengis Kahn on the train. Fabulous stuff if you don't mind blood and gore. It's sort of like a fantasy novel. Oh, and on line we have to watch the cave of the yellow dog. It has the darling east little girl as the main character.
80 hours is what I want but I need to convince my partner.

I wnat two stops at the lake both Irkutsk to go to Olkhon Island and Ulan Ude for the nice beaches.

Mongolia, I will probably be there for 8 days or so, I only need a couple in Ulaanbaatar, so I have time for the Desert, I want to stay in those tents, you know?

As for the book, I am praying some memeber of my family is going to offer me War and Peace for my Bday and I will just read it during the trip. I guess it's the ideal time to do it.

On my Lonely Planet Guide, at some point when describing the border between Russia and Mongolia and the procedures they say something like "if you haven't had time to finish War and Peace by the time you arrive at the border, relax, you'll have plenty of time while waiting to cross it". It can take up to 11 hours
Old 03-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #3118
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Of course Was that your favourite position?

Of course it counts, heck, I have done an introductory course for several styles of dancing, including ballet, and that´s a very demanding way of dancing I´ve found. Do you still occasionally do ballet?
Yes, but it isn't any more. I got fat and my reactions went to pot .

Now I play 5 a side each weekend with a group of friends, I usually play midfield.

GOOD LUCK IN UNRETIREMENT JOHNNY GROOVE
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #3119
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Quote:

This is not the part that needs a lot of planning so I am not worrying. As long as I get to Beijing and I have like 7 or 8 days to spare there.. I'll figure it out.
In Beijing, explores the Forbidden City, lots of Chinese history there. Great Wall is outside Beijing and transportation takes time. I would like to visit the Ming Tombs. It's not that far from Beijing.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #3120
country flag Trollicki

Quote:
Thanks for the link

I stopped willingly. There is a time for everything, I did ballet for 14 years, never wanted to become a pro (not that I could have, I wasn't that good), it was just a hobby. Now I have other hobbies. And some of the skills I got from ballet I will never lose.
Good to hear BTW, the 80-hour stretch sounds like the more interesting of options, though it depends on the total amount of time you have for this trip I suppose.

Quote:
In Hong Kong, there is no basketball to follow Soccer is the only professional sport. And since I dropped out of sports, I had to keep all my focus on studying. There was hardly sports coverage in the dinosaur era of TV coverage and no computer or internet
And does junior play basketball (or another sport) so that you have a good excuse to cheer him on enthousiastically?

Quote:
Yes, but it isn't any more. I got fat and my reactions went to pot .

Now I play 5 a side each weekend with a group of friends, I usually play midfield.
Lots of running in midfield, it should help you with your endeavour to lose weight.
Closed Thread