Playing Stepanek vs Djok could cost the Czechs the davis cup. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
country flag KaiserT
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

KaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Playing Stepanek vs Djok could cost the Czechs the davis cup.

I'm completely baffled by the decision to play Stepanek vs Djokovic in the first rubber. Stepanek's fitness isn't what it once was and Djokovic will do all he can to take his legs away for the rest of the tie. On what is seemingly a gritty hardcourt with clay court balls Stepanek basically has no chance at victory barring Djok breaking his leg.

The end result of this could be fatigue costing Steps in a lengthy doubles match, or giving Serbia a good shot at winning the 5th match either via Steps tiredness or through Rosol choking.

I can't see any sound logic in this decision, can you?
KaiserT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
country flag Chris Kuerten
Banned!

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playing Stepanek vs Djok could cost the Czechs the davis cup.

That's exactly the reason why they are doing it, intimidation.

Stepanek is the baddest motherfucker you will ever see and he doesn't give a fuck. Probably banged Djoko's girl last night and will make remarks about it throughout the match.
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
That's exactly the reason why they are doing it, intimidation.

Stepanek is the baddest motherfucker you will ever see and he doesn't give a fuck. Probably banged Djoko's girl last night and will make remarks about it throughout the match.
This , especially the bolded part

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

It is not exactly going to be a 4 hour grind. I think it will be a good 2 hour warm up for Radek, good to get into battle mode before the doubles.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
country flag KaiserT
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

KaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond reputeKaiserT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
It is not exactly going to be a 4 hour grind. I think it will be a good 2 hour warm up for Radek, good to get into battle mode before the doubles.
That is the one positive aspect of the decision I guess, but unless he plans on partly tanking the match then it will do much more harm than good. I've seen enough of Steps this season to know his fitness reserves aren't that good. Let's see what happens, but I've got a strong feeling that this could cost them the cup.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Probably they don't want to risk Radek losing to whoever is going to play the second match.... and Novak would beat Berdych anyway
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
country flag KaiserT
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Probably they don't want to risk Radek losing to whoever is going to play the second match.... and Novak would beat Berdych anyway
You've missed the point, I mean Stepanek should have been RESTED entirely for the first round of matches and that Rosol should have taken his place.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserT View Post
You've missed the point, I mean Stepanek should have been RESTED entirely for the first round of matches and that Rosol should have taken his place.
Well, maybe Rosol does play in the end, they could still make the switch before the match
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 11-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Stepanek actually has always troubled Djokovic on indoor hard. But yeah, I doubt this past-it version will. I would've played Rosol day 1 and Stepanek day 3- Stepanek would beat Lajovic, Rosol can lose to anyone and his style makes it hard to choke to him if Lajovic does get into a winning position.

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
Stepanek actually has always troubled Djokovic on indoor hard. But yeah, I doubt this past-it version will. I would've played Rosol day 1 and Stepanek day 3- Stepanek would beat Lajovic, Rosol can lose to anyone and his style makes it hard to choke to him if Lajovic does get into a winning position.
They've played on it twice in almost 8 years. Once when Djokovic was 18 years old.

This has no relevance at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, maybe Rosol does play in the end, they could still make the switch before the match
Not on the first day. Players for the first and second rubber can't be changed after the draw ceremony.
Joolz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
country flag Derevko

Derevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond reputeDerevko has a reputation beyond repute

I think that if the match goes well for Nole (like a 2-0), he could tank a set to tire Stepanek
Soderling - Davydenko - Tipsarevic - Ljubicic - Volandri

TT: W Umag (ATP, 10), W Trimbauch (Ch, 14), W Busan (Ch, 11), W Tanger (Ch, 10), W Napoli (Ch, 09), F Palermo (Ch, 09), R16 Us Open (Slam, 09) - Best Ranking: 65
TT D: W Poitiers (Ch, 14), SF Roland Garros (Slam, 14)
Derevko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Slacker

Quote:
They've played on it twice in almost 8 years. Once when Djokovic was 18 years old.

This has no relevance at all.
Well, they did play under the roof at Wimbledon last year, Steps won a set. Of course it's not hard court, but Stepanek was really almost flawless that first set, couldn't keep it up though.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
country flag chili

chili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
This. Stepanek it's not a grinder and he needs to get used to the hostile match atmosphere, these people know what they're doing. It also might some rule thing making teams play their best players on day 1 or something.
chili is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, they did play under the roof at Wimbledon last year, Steps won a set. Of course it's not hard court, but Stepanek was really almost flawless that first set, couldn't keep it up though.
Quote:
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote