Does Christmas Piss Anyone Else Off? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #16
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Christmas Piss Anyone Else Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
You are a Jew right? I live in a highly-populated Jewish area (probably as many Jews as Christians), and many of them don't celebrate Christmas. But it doesn't piss them off, it just encourages them to make jokes about how Hanukkah is better.
Yes I am. Well that would be a different scenario considering they aren't an overwhelming minority like I am being a Jew in the western U.S. It makes a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
No. But then I am a Christian.
That's expected

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but three

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #17
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Because you're saying that people who don't celebrate it still enjoy its "feel-good" atmosphere, but you've never been in that situation so it's a blind statement. Just because it makes you feel that way doesn't necessarily mean that a lot of non-celebraters do.
I'm not foolish enough to do that.

I talk to people who aren't Christian. I read articles on the matter. I don't just pull an idea out of my head and claim it's the truth. Hell, look at GOATsol and Wombat. They demonstrate my point to a very small scale.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

I hate it.

I hate getting presents and pretending to like them, and I hate giving out presents as well. I always want to get everyone something they'll really like so I end up spending thousands of dollars that I shouldn't.

It's got nothing to do with religion for me, and most Australians - regarding celebrations I mean, everyone knows it's Jesus' birthday - but here it's more about family, friends, sunny beaches, lots of beer and some seafood That part I can deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
The youngest player in the WTA Top-100 is 18 years and 11 months old. See, nowadays not even paedophiles should be particularly interested in the women's tennis.
Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #19

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I'm not foolish enough to do that.

I talk to people who aren't Christian. I read articles on the matter. I don't just pull an idea out of my head and claim it's the truth. Hell, look at GOATsol and Wombat. They demonstrate my point to a very small scale.
I would never admit to my peers that I dislike Christmas because I don't want to get into arguments, so possibly the same case with the people you talk to. And Wombat celebrates so he doesn't have my kind of perspective and GOATsol has yet to say whether she celebrates it or not.

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
I hate it.

I hate getting presents and pretending to like them, and I hate giving out presents as well. I always want to get everyone something they'll really like so I end up spending thousands of dollars that I shouldn't.
This reminds me of:

Quote:

Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #21
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

If I lived in a non-Christian country and there was a celebration day equivalent to Christmas, i.e. something that's almost as much a secular holiday than religious holiday, I'd probably enjoy it. I wouldn't care about the religius aspect of that celebration day but I might like that day's traditions otherwise.

So if I weren't a Christian, I'd still probably like Christmas.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Wawrinka winning the 2014 Australian Open is the best thing happened to tennis since Federer winning Wimbledon in 2003
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #22
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you celebrate it?
we have put up a tree and exchange gifts, so yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
I remember a sketch in a radio show where they said the best day during Christmas holiday is Dec 27th. Shops are finally open after Christmas so you can go to change the presents you got to something you like, assuming you'd get the receipts of the presents you've got.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Wawrinka winning the 2014 Australian Open is the best thing happened to tennis since Federer winning Wimbledon in 2003
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
If I lived in a non-Christian country and there was a celebration day equivalent to Christmas, i.e. something that's almost as much a secular holiday than religious holiday, I'd probably enjoy it. I wouldn't care about the religius aspect of that celebration day but I might like that day's traditions otherwise.

So if I weren't a Christian, I'd still probably like Christmas.
Same thing as George. You've never experienced it, so you don't know that for sure. We probably need a non-Christmas celebrater to share an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
we have put up a tree and exchange gifts, so yeah
Thought so.

Quote:

Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #25
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Dylan, do you just go about Christmas day in the fashion of any other day, then? Do you treat it as a standard day?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #26
country flag August

Quote:
Same thing as George. You've never experienced it, so you don't know that for sure. We probably need a non-Christmas celebrater to share an opinion.
Yep, it's actually quite difficult to experience something like Christmas that isn't Christmas. In countries that don't celebrate religious Christmas, they quite often have at least the commercial Christmas.

And Dylan, please continue like this without clowning. This is a good thread.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Dylan, do you just go about Christmas day in the fashion of any other day, then? Do you treat it as a standard day?
Yes. Completely normal day.

Quote:

Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Yep, it's actually quite difficult to experience something like Christmas that isn't Christmas. In countries that don't celebrate religious Christmas, they quite often have at least the commercial Christmas.

And Dylan, please continue like this without clowning. This is a good thread.
No, no I meant you haven't had the experience of not celebrating Christmas in a Christian society.

Quote:

Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #29
country flag The Prince

Ah, okay, I understand. Seeing other people really celebrating hard must be tough, as you're in a minority.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Ah, okay, I understand. Seeing other people really celebrating hard must be tough, as you're in a minority.
It is, and the fact that it is rubbed in our faces (unintentionally though) sucks as well.

Quote: