Future of Tennis: Google Glass & Augmented Reality? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Future of Tennis: Google Glass & Augmented Reality?

I know most of you have heard of Google Glass. Recently, I had a chance to buy one as an Explore. After using it for a few days, I immediately though of the future of tennis video by Lacoste.

I am just curious. What are your thoughts on Augmented reality equipment being used in tennis to help players instead of lets say bringing coaches. These augmented reality glasses give information on shots, speed, things like that. Do you think that's where tennis is headed in let's say 50 years? Your racquet communicates with your Glass, tells you more about how to handle shots, and more.

Thoughts?

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h7lGQ-pIG0

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future of Tennis: Google Glass & Augmented Reality?

I'll be dead in 2083 so i don't care
nole_no1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #3

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
I'll be dead in 2083 so i don't care
I don't think we have to wait till 2083. Google Glass is coming 2014. Give it 10 years, it will be much more advanced. 20 more years, and we might see it added to sports

*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if something like that would ever get into tennis. That would change the entire game. It would then mean just another piece of equipment to play tennis for juniors/amateurs. You can say well they don't have to get it, but you know for a fact the people that can afford it early will have such an unfair advantage.

E: The video is in a way assuming the sport doesn't become even slower/more physical
Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Only if it has a Facebook button.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Not sure if something like that would ever get into tennis. That would change the entire game. It would then mean just another piece of equipment to play tennis for juniors/amateurs. You can say well they don't have to get it, but you know for a fact the people that can afford it early will have such an unfair advantage.

E: The video is in a way assuming the sport doesn't become even slower/more physical
I have seen computers used in chess. I don't see why not if the price is cheap. Just think about it. Instead of people complaining about coaching, why not give players more information about how they are playing, so the quality could get higher. It's not going to happen in the next 20 years. I give you that. But the potential is there. Imagine all the fans also getting their own augmented reality glasses that provide feedback on how players are playing, analyzes their strategies in a more detailed fashion. Of course, there will be challenges. I think players using this tech need to spend a lot of time actually mastering it

Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
country flag T.C

T.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying players would get real-time information on the ball as it is flying towards a player - and it would tell the player his options how to handle said ball? We'd need a lot faster processors than we do now. It would be like Hawkeye but with a dynamic point of view, not the current static one (reason why such technology can be used in chess: it is static and all the computer has to do is calculate the possibilities / probabilities of each move).

I mean all players already subconsciously do what the computer would do to varying degrees; it's part of knowing how to read a shot. I personally notice the direction of the ball hit to my side, its relative speed, how much and the direction of spin and as a result, roughly where it would land and how it would behave on the bounce. The hard part is coordinating my physical response (ie. court position, body position, actually hitting the shot) along with shot selection.

Yeah, I think if a computer could help with anything I'd want it on the best path to that ball and the best shot to hit once I get to the ball taking into consideration mine and my opponent's court position, strengths / weaknesses / tendencies. But then that takes away the human element of tennis, doesn't it? Most of the top players are really differentiated only by what goes on between the ears.
T.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
country flag pierricbross

pierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond reputepierricbross has a reputation beyond repute

In professional swimming a company released a new full-body swim-suit that increased swim times by a full second or more. Swimmers were breaking records left and right, so it was eventually banned and the records were given an astrix and aren't considered part of the real records.

Letting tennis players wear computerised glasses that literally calculate where the ball is going to land,will also likely be banned from professional play.

The swimsuits are still used by rich amaetures, so I imagine it would be the same for any new technology that is considered as ruining the human component of the sport.

Last edited by pierricbross : 11-17-2013 at 10:31 AM.
pierricbross is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
country flag Monkey D. Rufy

Monkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond repute

Probably
Monkey D. Rufy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
country flag Mong Mong

Mong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond repute

Not with all that sweat coming down on players' faces.

WTA Royalties
Queen Maria Sharapova 1-2-1-1-S-32 | Princess Petra Kvitova 2- 12
Mong Mong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote