Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Federer? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Whose Slamless 2014 means he is done winning them after?

Federer 28 62.22%
Murray 1 2.22%
Del Potro 0 0%
Federer + Murray 3 6.67%
Federer + Del Potro 8 17.78%
Murray + Del Potro 0 0%
All 3 1 2.22%
None of 3 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 11-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
country flag PileDrive
Registered User
 
PileDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,712
PileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Federer?

Each of these 3 failure to win a major next year will bring about serious question about their future in them for various reasons. I explain here..

Federer: He will turn 33, and would have have gone more than the 24 months Slam dry spell Sampras underwent between W'00 and USO'02..In other words, Father time > Egoerer

Murray: It would mean that he did not recover from his back surgery, and may never be the same again. That particular injury has a history of being the biggest pro-career killer..Going under the knife is not a prospect you relish historically for elite players (Safin never won a single ATP title again after the knee surgery shortly after AO'05).

Delpotro: He would have gone more than 5 years without backing up a Slam win beating along the way the only other multiple Slam winners in the Open era who went through similar drought between successive Major wins: Safin (USO'00- AO'05) and Becker (AO'91- AO'96).


I am going with Federer + Del Potro
__________________
Just love the Game

Last edited by PileDrive : 11-16-2013 at 02:01 PM.
PileDrive is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 12,771
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Federer due to age of course. He will be 33 at the end of 2014.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
country flag Rychu
Registered User
 
Rychu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Age: 20
Posts: 11,452
Rychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Well Federer, it's a no-brainer
__________________
Tennis

Haas - Hewitt - Del Potro - Federer - Janowicz - Gasquet

Thiem - Kyrgios - Fognini - Monfils - Djokovic


Rychu is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
country flag BauerAlmeida
Registered User
 
BauerAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Age: 22
Posts: 3,892
BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Obviously Federer.
BauerAlmeida is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
country flag PileDrive
Registered User
 
PileDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,712
PileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Federer due to age of course. He will be 33 at the end of 2014.
Don't you see the clock is ticking for your favorite, too? that Slamless drought is threatening to be permanent by historical precedent. Delpo may have less mileage, but that body is as brittle as they come. Not writing him off yet as one "Slam wonder", with the undeserved negative connotation, but he must at least reach a Slam final in 2014 to keep the hopes up, kind like how Roddick (W'04, W'05, USO'06) kept many believers till the bitter end (W'09)..
__________________
Just love the Game
PileDrive is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
country flag Tiebreak100
Registered User
 
Tiebreak100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,941
Tiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDrive View Post

Murray: It would mean that he did not recover from his back surgery, and may never be the same again. That particular injury has a history of being the biggest pro-career killer..Going under the knife is not a prospect you relish historically for elite players (Safin never won a single ATP title again after the knee surgery shortly after AO'05).

The answer to this daft question, (not unusual for you) is Federer.

Your comments on Murray are utterly ridiculous. Think before you type.
Tiebreak100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 12,771
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDrive View Post
Don't you see the clock is ticking for your favorite, too? that Slamless drought is threatening to be permanent by historical precedent. Delpo may have less mileage, but that body is as brittle as they come. Not writing him off yet as one "Slam wonder", with the undeserved negative connotation, but he must at least reach a Slam final in 2014 to keep the hopes up, kind like how Roddick (W'04, W'05, USO'06) kept many believers till the bitter end (W'09)..
I'd agree his prospects would look worse if he doesn't at least reach a final next year, but if he doesn't get another major injury I could still see him in with a chance being 26yo at the end of 2014. Federer, on the other hand, with each year that goes by his chances become more and more remote.

del Potro is helped by the fact that there doesn't seem to be any promising youngsters around and that he matches up great with Nadal. Djokovic losing a step in his defense and incredible consistency might be enough to nab a second Slam somewhere down the line even if he keeps struggling with injuries and doesn't pick up his level. The same with Murray, even if he can't return to his top level, do you see anyone new on the horizon who can establish themselves as a credible alternative to Djokovic and Nadal for the Slams?
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
country flag PileDrive
Registered User
 
PileDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,712
PileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
I'd agree his prospects would look worse if he doesn't at least reach a final next year, but if he doesn't get another major injury I could still see him in with a chance being 26yo at the end of 2014. Federer, on the other hand, with each year that goes by his chances become more and more remote.

del Potro is helped by the fact that there doesn't seem to be any promising youngsters around and that he matches up great with Nadal. Djokovic losing a step in his defense and incredible consistency might be enough to nab a second Slam somewhere down the line even if he keeps struggling with injuries and doesn't pick up his level. The same with Murray, even if he can't return to his top level, do you see anyone new on the horizon who can establish themselves as a credible alternative to Djokovic and Nadal for the Slams?
You seem to pin too many hopes on the Nadal favorable match-up. I do agree in the best-of-three Delpotro is a major problem for Rafa, but i am yet to see him outlast him or for that matter Djokovic/Murray/Federer in best-of-5 since that famous USO run..(Delpotro acknowledges in his tamed and reserved fashion after the Federer RR match loss that there is something he must do on the mental/physical side to join the super elite..As good as he 's been in the head; we have seen that he lacked the killer instinct in deciding sets (early BPs in Wimbledon SF, Shanghai F, WTF RR vs. Nole and Roger)

Anyway, the coming Australian Open will tell us where the year is headed, or the tennis landscape in general. If Delpotro prematurely melts again under the sun Down Under; If Federer does not show a pep in his game and recapture something close to his 2012 self; if Murray gets hamstrung by his back, the RAFOLE duopoly has more chance to play out itself until further notice, ie the next tour break-out player..
__________________
Just love the Game
PileDrive is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
country flag Wolmas
Registered User
 
Wolmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 28
Posts: 524
Wolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond reputeWolmas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
The same with Murray, even if he can't return to his top level, do you see anyone new on the horizon who can establish themselves as a credible alternative to Djokovic and Nadal for the Slams?
Find Dr. Frankenstein and get him to remove Nadal's brain and transfer it to Janowicz' body, and he'll shatter records.
Wolmas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
country flag Roy Emerson
Registered User
 
Roy Emerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,831
Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Federer
__________________
Most Slam singles titles

All Time


Roger Federer 17
Pete Sampras 14
Rafael Nadal 14
Roy Emerson 12
Rod Laver 11
Björn Borg 11
Bill Tilden 10
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 19
Posts: 35,149
Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Murray will be fine, even without a slam next year. He has more than enough time left to snatch others in 2015 onwards.

Federer is the obvious answer as he's not getting any younger.

Del Potro? It's pretty much no surprise he's not winning another one so why bring him up? Djokovic, Nadal and Murray are far too good for him. If he fails to win one next year then he's in the same position he is right now. So, no big deal.
__________________
ANDY MURRAY
WIMBLEDON & US OPEN SLAM CHAMPION!!


SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 15 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $31,530,210 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 453-141...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
country flag PileDrive
Registered User
 
PileDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,712
PileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Murray will be fine, even without a slam next year. He has more than enough time left to snatch others in 2015 onwards.

Federer is the obvious answer as he's not getting any younger.

Del Potro? It's pretty much no surprise he's not winning another one so why bring him up? Djokovic, Nadal and Murray are far too good for him. If he fails to win one next year then he's in the same position he is right now. So, no big deal.
It would actually be a bit of surprise considering the heights his game has reached occasionally in his career; and while he is certainly as injury-prone as Safin, he is less erratic and more mentally stable to not be at least a two-time Grand Slam winners like the Russian giant..

In fact on paper, Delpotro stand better chances at winning a Slam each year than Murray considering he is very good on Hard Court, good on Clay and decent on Grass compared to Murray adeptness at only HC and Grass surfaces and simply having no prayer at winning the French Open on Clay..
__________________
Just love the Game
PileDrive is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 12,771
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDrive View Post
You seem to pin too many hopes on the Nadal favorable match-up. I do agree in the best-of-three Delpotro is a major problem for Rafa, but i am yet to see him outlast him or for that matter Djokovic/Murray/Federer in best-of-5 since that famous USO run..(Delpotro acknowledges in his tamed and reserved fashion after the Federer RR match loss that there is something he must do on the mental/physical side to join the super elite..As good as he 's been in the head; we have seen that he lacked the killer instinct in deciding sets (early BPs in Wimbledon SF, Shanghai F, WTF RR vs. Nole and Roger)

Anyway, the coming Australian Open will tell us where the year is headed, or the tennis landscape in general. If Delpotro prematurely melts again under the sun Down Under; If Federer does not show a pep in his game and recapture something close to his 2012 self; if Murray gets hamstrung by his back, the RAFOLE duopoly has more chance to play out itself until further notice, ie the next tour break-out player..
Well, being about the only player on tour who actually relishes facing Nadal (as opposed to fearing him) on any surface is certainly an advantage considering Rafa is likely to remain at the top for the foreseeable future. I agree with JMDP's assessment that he needs to keep working hard physically and mentally, let's see if he brings anything new to the table in 2014.

The Australian Open should be very interesting indeed, I'm hoping for Djokovic vs Murray and Nadal vs del Potro pairings, with Federer in the Djokovic/Murray section.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
country flag Alex999
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 8,784
Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Well, Fed obviously although who knows? He might have another good run. I doubt it tough.

I hope Murray recovers well. They say the surgery was 'minor' but any back surgery is potentially dangerous. I'm not sure if Murray will or not win a major next year but he is more likely to do it than Fed or DP.

As much as I like DP, I have serious doubts that he'll win another major, but that's just my feeling. I hope I'm wrong.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 19
Posts: 35,149
Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose Slam-less 2014 means he 's done winning them: Del Potro or Murray or Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDrive View Post
It would actually be a bit of surprise considering the heights his game has reached occasionally in his career; and while he is certainly as injury-prone as Safin, he is less erratic and more mentally stable to not be at least a two-time Grand Slam winners like the Russian giant..

In fact on paper, Delpotro stand better chances at winning a Slam each year than Murray considering he is very good on Hard Court, good on Clay and decent on Grass compared to Murray adeptness at only HC and Grass surfaces and simply having no prayer at winning the French Open on Clay..
Potro is only better on clay. I don't see how that makes him more likely to win a slam each year, seeing as Murray is superior to him on both of the other surfaces, especially grass.

I won't be surprised at all if Potro doesn't win another slam. He's been relatively healthy and full fit since 2011 and he hasn't won another, so I don't see why we should expect another one any time soon.
__________________
ANDY MURRAY
WIMBLEDON & US OPEN SLAM CHAMPION!!


SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 15 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $31,530,210 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 453-141...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios