Why and When did the Federer Nadal rivalry lose juice? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
country flag TheLeftyAndFed

TheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheLeftyAndFed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why and When did the Federer Nadal rivalry lose juice?

At the beginning their matches were very exciting. Remember epics of Miami 2005, Rome 2006, RG 06 and 07 and Wimbledon 06,07,08.

But then came the RG08 joke of a match followed by the incredibly filled drama W 2008 and superman Nadal at AO09 and the rivalry was no more.

Think that H2H in 2007 was 8-6 now it's 23-10!!

So when and why did the rivalry lose juice?

Amazing Dazzling Tennis: Wawrinka, Tsonga, JMDP, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber
TheLeftyAndFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why and When did the Federer Nadal rivalry lose juice?

Federer has always occupied the losing position in this rivalry.
When Roger started to decline, he couldn't keep up with Nadal physically anymore. I think AO 2009 broke him for good. Can't blame him- it is impossible for a human being to run for 10+ hours in a space of 3 days. Everybody would simply give up after something like this.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

yawn very obviously after 2009 because Roger got older and declined

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

The killing blow was at the majors - AO 2009. That was a match Federer should have won to reassert himself in the rivalry. It was close, but he didn't take his chances. If Federer didn't himself, a lot of his fans thought he'd struggle to beat him again at majors after that. I was surprised Federer still managed to win 4 majors even so...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
country flag thrust
Banned!

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeftyAndFed View Post
At the beginning their matches were very exciting. Remember epics of Miami 2005, Rome 2006, RG 06 and 07 and Wimbledon 06,07,08.

But then came the RG08 joke of a match followed by the incredibly filled drama W 2008 and superman Nadal at AO09 and the rivalry was no more.

Why? Because by 08 Rafa reached his near peak and was, by far, the toughest in prime opponent Roger ever faced, Of course some Fedtards will say that a 26 YO Roger was past his prime, or too old to compete with the younger Rafa. I do think that much of Roger's problem playing Rafa was mental and tactical.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
country flag blackwell

blackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Of course some Fedtards will say that a 26 YO Roger was past his prime, or too old to compete with the younger Rafa.
In 2008 Fed had a mono. He started to decline after AO-10
blackwell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
country flag doubletrollt

doubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If Federer wanted to have better H2H than he should've ask for strict 25 sec. rule implementation long ago, because general surface slowing was unstoppable.

Also instead of losing to Nadal on clay, he could have lost match on purpose a round before quite a few times, to save himself from exhaustion or embarrassment, as Nadal does at the end of the season.

Last edited by doubletrollt : 11-26-2014 at 01:56 PM.
doubletrollt is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Why? Because by 08 Rafa reached his near peak and was, by far, the toughest in prime opponent Roger ever faced, Of course some Fedtards will say that a 26 YO Roger was past his prime, or too old to compete with the younger Rafa. I do think that much of Roger's problem playing Rafa was mental and tactical.
Federer was 27 y.o when Nadal entered his peak.
Would love to see how 27-28 y.o Nadal handles prime Fed.

Anyone who claims current Nadal could compete with peak Federer is lolworthy.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
country flag garad

garad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That happens when two players in a great rivalry come from different tennis generations...
Old 11-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
country flag BankaiKenpachi

BankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond reputeBankaiKenpachi has a reputation beyond repute

It has nothing to do with match up problem or Nadal's mental strength or Nadal's baseline games; it's all about Fed. Federer way past his prime the moment he turned 28 and the rivalry doesn't count anymore. Despite Fed's drastic decline, he still fought like a warrior and refused to give up at any moment. What a warrior Fed is! We should all give Fed a standing ovation for letting his heart out while facing Nadal even after being humiliated over and over.
BankaiKenpachi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
country flag Phenomenadal

Phenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond reputePhenomenadal has a reputation beyond repute

Australian Open 2009 Final.

God, it's killing me.
A: In a nightclub.

Q: When will you enter your prime?

Q: Greatest memory of your career?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phenomenadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
country flag blackwell

blackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond reputeblackwell has a reputation beyond repute

Vibrant with health nadal also jumped on Federer's painful back in 2013 (4 wins)
blackwell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
country flag garad

garad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond repute

Another thread that just invites tard wars btw.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
country flag SerialKillerToBe

SerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
I was surprised Federer still managed to win 4 majors even so...
Injured Rafa helps, no?
SerialKillerToBe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
country flag EddieNero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankaiKenpachi View Post
It has nothing to do with match up problem or Nadal's mental strength or Nadal's baseline games; it's all about Fed. Federer way past his prime the moment he turned 28 and the rivalry doesn't count anymore. Despite Fed's drastic decline, he still fought like a warrior and refused to give up at any moment. What a warrior Fed is! We should all give Fed a standing ovation for letting his heart out while facing Nadal even after being humiliated over and over.
33 and still dumb as an embryo.