Marius Copil: "I was offered 30.000€ to fix a match[...] I was threatened with death" - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marius Copil: "I was offered 30.000€ to fix a match[...] I was threatened with death"

Quote:
Marius, how tough is the life for a player in the challenger circuit?

It's difficult. From next season though, I want to make the next step, to take start in the ATP qualifications. I played 7-8 ATP tournaments in 2014 and I never lost in the 1st round (he's talking about qualifiying mainly). I use to play better in the ATP tournaments rather than in the challenger tour even if they're tougher. In the challengers you often play against someone you know nothing about and he's unsteady, now he plays great and beats you and tomorrow he can't hit any shot. I'm working on my court movement and net play since the US Open

Who is coaching you now?

I don't have a coach right now but I will work this winter with Andrei Pavel

Is it true that you worked with Robin Soderling's coach? How much did you pay him?

Yes, for six months I've worked with Peter Carlsson who was Soderling's coach for 4 years. I was paying him 4250€ per month, the month being considered 20 working days and for anything that went over this period I payed him 250€ a day. Then I was giving him 7% of my prize money

Is it true that your father invested in you, about 600.000€ ?

I play tennis from 7 years old but I think this sum is exaggerated. But you can find more about this from himself. What I can tell you is that for 2 years I'm self-financing, I'm no longer taking money from parents. Everything I'm winning I want to invest in myself. I'm more happy this way. It's money earned by me, I pay for everything, It's my responsability,

In your career you have victories against players like Marin Cilic, the defending US Open champion or Gilles Simon...

Yeah, in Brisbane I reached the quarter finals coming from the qualifiers. In Madrid I managed to beat Granollers and lost against Dimitrov 7-6 in the decider in a close contest. I'm playing well in the ATP circuit, I don't like to give up without a fight while in the challenger circuit I tend to relax too much. Also in the challenger tour the conditions are definetly worse than in the ATP

Though, players from your generation like Raonic, Dimitrov, Tomic have already made the step to the top

Let me tell you a story so you'll understand better what it's all about. In 2009, I was at the Cremona tournament with Tomic, he was ranked #170 at that time, I was somewhere around #200. We faced off in the semifinals. Do you know how many people he had with him? 6! I had only my physical coach. This is the difference. Then, he told me that he has a card from the Australian Tennis Federation and he told me he already spent 1.5 milion dollars from it. It was a card with unlimited amount ! Also, he signed with Nike since he was a junior. If he would've been ranked between #50 - #100, he was recieveing 300.000€ a yer, if he would've been ranked inside top 50, he would've recieved 600.000€ a year. Me... I have 15.000$ with a company and I must give 20% to my manager. This tells all you need to know about the conditions

Do you believe that the Romanian Tennis Federation could've done more for you?

Yeah, definetly. A lot more. And I'm not speaking only about myself but about us, the players, in general. And i'm refering strict to the federation. In Romania we only have one official indoor hardcourt venue. We can't compare ourselves with the French or the Germans but we can't continue this way. There are like 11-12 people who are practicing on the same court. If we would be in Romania at the same time, how could we all get to practice? We would need 5 indoor courts, 7 claycourts and a decent tennis arena. I'm not having big expectations, I'm just asking for the minimum

Aren't you afraid that the people from the federation will get upset on you?

Why would they? I'm just being fair, I'm speaking my mind, I'm not lying. And in tennis you're alone anyway and I'm not the kind of guy who hides from these kind of things. Nobody can reproach me anything. I made my job in the Davis Cup especially lately, only against Netherlands I failed to get a point to the team... What's sad is that there's nothing coming from behind

Do you expect to be called again to the Davis Cup team after this "riot" ?

It's their decision. If I'll be called, I'll go with an open heart.

How are the "superstars" treated in the circuit?

Uncomparable. For instance, Roger Federer signed up for Brisbane for the first time in his career and the organizers gave him 1.6 milion $ just for the appearance

Who do you prefer? Federer, Djokovic or Nadal?

I never played against any of them but Federer is a phenomenon, a huge talent. Nadal is unique for his Roland Garros performances and Djokovic moves unbelievable on the court and he's extremely ambitious. From the top 10 I played against Wawrinka, Berdych, Dimitrov, Almagro... but I never had the impression that I stand no chance against them

What do you think about fixing in tennis?

The ones who are caught, should be banned for life ! The ones who are doing it have no respect for the sport, they're cowards ! I had an offer, in Miami, to fix a match. Someone contacted me on Facebook and offered me 30.000€ just to lose a set. I immediately reported it to Tennis Integrity. If you don't report it and they find out that you were contacted, you're in trouble. I hate gambling ! Because of it, I deleted my Facebook account, the ones existing right now are fake, they're not mine. I deleted it because I recieved ugly messages: from insults even to death threats

What's your opinion on the "Halep phenomenon" ?

It's a very good thing. People are finally talking about tennis. Unfortunately Romanian men's tennis isn't at the same level as the women's tennis. I'm speaking about singles because in doubles Horia Tecau and Florin Mergea are having good results. But my opinion is that is tougher in men's singles than in women's singles

What other sports are you following?

I watch handball, rugby, karting... I also like watching football but not the domestic league as I find it too weak

Nowadays the relationships between tennis players looks to be a trend like Dimitrov - Sharapova, Cirstea - Giraldo... do you have a tennis girlfriend?

No, I have another standards. For example, I don't like Sharapova, as a woman. She's too tall and I think she doesn't have any curves
I tried to translate it as good as I could

HIST9RY

Last edited by nole_no1 : 11-26-2014 at 04:31 PM.
nole_no1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
country flag Dead Net Cord

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marius Copil: "I was offered 30.000€ to fix a match[...] I was threatened with de

Great interview, thanks for translation

I guess this is the source http://sport24h.ro/interviu-marius-c...anul-a-luat-o/

with cheap media love and fawners praising who didn't win slams

it must have been good to be a Swiss?

but chokers are always present in slam draws, wearing orange shoes and gold handbags
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Now these are the nights I am going to remember
Dead Net Cord is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marius Copil: "I was offered 30.000€ to fix a match[...] I was threatened with de

Yeah that's the one but I read it here: http://www.sportnews.ro/exclusiv-mar...ma-114502.html

HIST9RY
Old 11-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
country flag Tennis Passion

Tennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Passion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
I don't like Sharapova, as a woman. She's too tall and I think she doesn't have any body shapes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercrabs View Post
I disagree with the premise that Djokovic will reach exactly six slam finals. I'm making the bold prediction that he'll never reach another.
Tennis Passion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Massive anti-vulture! World number 172 and his highest five points are from ATP events.

Tomic pimping.
Sharapova has no body shapes (I know what he means).
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
country flag x4n

x4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond reputex4n has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent read. I would love to find more interviews with players from the Challenger circuit and in the lower end of the 100s, as they are infinitely more informative, especially compared to the sponsored cliches of top players. I understand those players with big contracts are somewhat tied and whatnot. Just saying that there's a large pool of trying to breakthrough players who can say much more interesting stuff about the tour, the conditions, the life, and even the game itself. Kudos to you for translating that. Hope more follow suit.
x4n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In 2009, I was at the Cremona tournament with Tomic, he was ranked #170 at that time, I was somewhere around #200. We faced off in the semifinals. Do you know how many people he had with him? 6! I had only my physical coach. This is the difference. Then, he told me that he has a card from the Australian Tennis Federation and he told me he already spent 1.5 milion dollars from it. It was a card with unlimited amount!

Factual corrections: it was 2010, Copil was ranked #369 and Tomic #294.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisCup2014 View Post
Then get him out of your avatar and sig talking about him like that, disgrace.
Fedtardism = Ingsoc

FEDERER IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS FEDERER

FEDERER IS STRENGTH

Criticism of Federer = Thoughtcrime

Last edited by Chris Kuerten : 11-26-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
country flag tippy4

tippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting interview.
Thanks for the translation.

A big face palm to Tennis Australia.
tippy4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #9

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nowadays the relationships between tennis players looks to be a trend like Dimitrov - Sharapova, Cirstea - Giraldo... do you have a tennis girlfriend?

No, I have another standards. For example, I don't like Sharapova, as a woman. She's too tall and I think she doesn't have any body shapes
Oh, wait, this is the greatest thing I have ever read.
Quote:
Fedtardism = Ingsoc

FEDERER IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS FEDERER

FEDERER IS STRENGTH

Old 11-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
country flag nole_no1

That Sharapova thing cracked me up too

HIST9RY
Old 11-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
country flag Doktor Carpet

Doktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond repute

Really good interview.

This guy really has the game to be ranked at least around the TOP 40.
Doktor Carpet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
That Sharapova thing cracked me up too
Needs a thread on TF
Quote:
Fedtardism = Ingsoc

FEDERER IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS FEDERER

FEDERER IS STRENGTH

Old 11-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
country flag robbery47

robbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond repute

great interview!
Show them Copil!
Old 11-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for translation. Most interresting part is for me that about Tomic, that back than being very low ranked and had his full team and Tennis Australia investing in him so much, i mean just look at this in bussiness world, you are a company investing in something - to have superior product on the market investing huge billions USD just to find out that your engiiners where not working at their 100% so product they manufactered is just average and not worth of all those money invested - this is Tomic´s case, Tennis Australia wasting money on him and he is still lazy and partying and ,nobody, in tennis world , there is no excuse for him to not be in top 20 and being regular ,,in later stages,, of tournaments and here we are more than 3 years after his big Wimby breaktrough - QF 2011 and nothing - i mean Tennis Australia boys - if they would rather money invested in Tomic invest in 10 players by equal share they could have achieved more in developing young good players than this mug

I mean just look at this from perspective of many challenger level players - 100-200 in ranking, they work hard they have talent, but not rich daddy or rich association, because they are not from AUS, UK, US but from balkan countries let´say so they ,,struggle,, for years on challenger tour and they are aware of fact there are guys like Tomic who are wasting money which is not theres and are angry that if they had such opportunity they would do far better than him - Tomic is not only one of course there are some other players

BTW watching Copil over the years, tall guy with big serve there is potential for him to be top 50, at least top 100 regularly if he had better coach, better nutritions, healthcare and so on - just better ,,team,, taking care of him and his body but he is from Romania, where is no grand slam and millions to be invested in players

Last edited by romismak : 11-26-2014 at 01:59 PM.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
country flag pepita1964

pepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond repute

What i like to see is when Federer will open his mouth to say the truth about his rivalry with Nadal! What happened when he was invited by Spanish Queen in 2006 for a dinner ! That will be very interesting for all fans. Hristo Stoychkov / former soccer player for FC Barcelona/ and colleague of Rafa' uncle who played for FC Barcelona as well could open his mouth as well then it will be very interesting !
pepita1964 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote