Federer on surface homogenisation - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federer on surface homogenisation

Roger said this after his AO loss to Rafa on press conference. His english is great so we can be sure what he said he mean-there can´t be no language misunderstanding

Anyway, every surface is very similar today, otherwise we couldn't have achieved all these things on all these different surfaces so quickly, like him and myself.

So what do you think about that? Probably he was meaning that more on Rafa, that probably whe wouldn´t achieve career slam, he said so quickly - and similar surfaces so that can only mean career slam achievement i think.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger admitted that surface homogenization helped him and Rafa

It was his most open & honest presser yet.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

100% agree

i'm starting to put pete back up on my goat list

maybe on a medium slow court beat wouldnt beat federer

but

if we had all fast courts and indoor carpets- pete would bagel federer and nadal

without diversity no one can be considered goat from this era

laver played (and beat everyone) on carpet, wood super fast- super slow courts
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

It has mainly benefited Nadal I think. Federer has always had the game to play on fast courts. He abandoned serve and volley when he realised it was getting him nowhere due to the changing courts. Wimbledon has become a joke. If you serve and volley at SW19 you will get slaughtered for sure unless you have a Karlovic serve.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
country flag Quadruple Tree

Quadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post
100% agree

but

if we had all fast courts and indoor carpets- pete would bagel federer and nadal
19 year old Federer beat Sampras on the old Wimbledon grass playing serve and volley when Pete was on a 30 match winning streak. It was the match of 2001, so you are either like 10 years old or just being a willful idiot. Since you've heard of Laver, I'm going with the latter.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post
100% agree

but

without diversity no one can be considered goat from this era

laver played (and beat everyone) on carpet, wood super fast- super slow courts
Pete Sampras? Are you serious? Haha. The guy wouldn't take a set off these guys in these blue clay conditions of today. He wouldn't be top 4 at his best in this day and age when the courts are so slow

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports

Arjen Robben ... Soccer's version of ATP's biggest faker!
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
country flag Spierbal

Spierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond reputeSpierbal has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, everybody has the chance to profit the same way in this era and is effectively in the same boat in terms of technology, surface homogenization. In terms of GOAT, variety of surfaces should be consideration... Laver holds the edge slightly IMO, unfortunately Roger's campaign to be GOAT is derailed by his lack of mental strength.

Now, I remember somewhere Rod Laver saying that Roger has all the shots you needed to be successful in the 60's and he is able to succeed in any era, I am not sure about Rafa in that regard.
Spierbal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
country flag BodyServe

BodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond repute

Guys like Soderling, Berdych, Tsonga, Raonic ... would grab titles on very fast courts, guys like Ferrer, Monfils, Murray ... would win titles on very slow courts, well you get the idea.

Federer is right with this.
BodyServe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

He's right. It has definitely helped Djokovic and Nadal more than him though. At least he won his earlier grandslams before the homogenization became ridiculous.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Stating the obvious. And yes, it has benefitted them BOTH.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
country flag iriraz

iriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond reputeiriraz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep,it`s disappointing to see every tournament played in the same way basically.I don`t have anything against the top guys but back in the day u had top guys on every surface,nowaydays u exepect the same guys to do well everywhere.Lack of variety is clear
It would have been fun if Wimbledon surface would have been the same as 10-15 years ago.Someone like Llodra or Lopez certainly could have done damage with their game there.
iriraz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Of Course!!
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Proud of Fed. Starting to admit he's not the kind of dude who's capable of beating Rafa in general terms, and still being upbeat about his career no matter what haters think .
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
It has mainly benefited Nadal I think. Federer has always had the game to play on fast courts. He abandoned serve and volley when he realised it was getting him nowhere due to the changing courts. Wimbledon has become a joke. If you serve and volley at SW19 you will get slaughtered for sure unless you have a Karlovic serve.
Damn rights. If the courts went back the way they're supposed to play, Rafa would've won only French Open titles. I think it's a black mark in our game if a monkey like him can win Wimbledon against Roger and also, Rafa actually believe he's so good that he is fuckin delusional, look in the mirror you monkey, the courts helped you cuz without it, you're just another claycourt one surface wonder.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spierbal View Post
Indeed, everybody has the chance to profit the same way in this era and is effectively in the same boat in terms of technology, surface homogenization. In terms of GOAT, variety of surfaces should be consideration... Laver holds the edge slightly IMO, unfortunately Roger's campaign to be GOAT is derailed by his lack of mental strength.

Now, I remember somewhere Rod Laver saying that Roger has all the shots you needed to be successful in the 60's and he is able to succeed in any era, I am not sure about Rafa in that regard.
The only era Rafa could suceed in is this area - the mug era. Cuz he wouldn't stand a chance in the 90s against the likes of Sampras, Becker, Rafter, Ivanisevic and the true grass courters.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote