The Cycling Thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The Cycling Thread

First of all I'm just curious if there are any other posters to whom cycling means more than Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France.
If there are, we can talk about the springtime classics which are currently going on. Anybody seen Boonen win the Tour of Flanders, that kid is going to be the real thing for quite some time!
If there aren't any cycling fans out here, this thread will die a slow, yet peaceful death.
So, come on out, cycling fans! Wherever you are!
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cycling Thread

that would be erm....nope
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-06-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
country flag SuperFurryAnimal

SuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

I am a cycling fan! Boonen is on his way to be one of the greatest! But he'll be having some serious competition by Thomas Dekker in the coming years!
Also, did you see yesterday's stage in the Tour of Pays Basque? Too bad Pieter Weening was not strong enough to keep it up all race... Great victory for David 'The Dreamer' Moncoutié though!

Member of the Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society

Visit AZ FANPAGE
SuperFurryAnimal is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
bad gambler

yep major cycling fan here as well

fav is the big german jan ulrich, but the sooner he stays off the german chocolates the better his chances are to fufill his talents
View My Blog!  
Old 04-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #5

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFurryAnimal
I am a cycling fan! Boonen is on his way to be one of the greatest! But he'll be having some serious competition by Thomas Dekker in the coming years!
Also, did you see yesterday's stage in the Tour of Pays Basque? Too bad Pieter Weening was not strong enough to keep it up all race... Great victory for David 'The Dreamer' Moncoutié though!
Yeah, I saw the finish of that stage yesterday. Too bad the last couple of meters were too steep for Weening, he was very close to victory!
Anyway, I am currently passively watching Gent-Wevelgem. Andreas Klier crahed when he was hit by a motorcycle, poor guy. Hopefully he will recover in time for Paris-Roubaix on sunday!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
bad gambler

also take an interest in an up and coming aussie called cadel evans - he will give a bit of cheek in the mountain stages in the both the giro and tour de france this year
View My Blog!  
Old 04-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #7

SuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow
Anyway, I am currently passively watching Gent-Wevelgem. Andreas Klier crahed when he was hit by a motorcycle, poor guy. Hopefully he will recover in time for Paris-Roubaix on sunday!
OMG! He was one of the guys to watch for Gent-Wevelgem... It remainds me a bit of the Kessler-crash in last years Tour de France... But maybe just because they're both German...

Any other news on Gent-Wevelgem so far? Or should I check cyclingnews.com? BTW, I'm hoping Steven de Jongh can show us what he's made of today!

Visit AZ FANPAGE
Old 04-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #8

ahh... I see Flecha is in the first group as well... I like that guy. He rides totally un-Spanish, he attacks! Vamos Flecha!

Visit AZ FANPAGE
Old 04-06-2005, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad gambler
also take an interest in an up and coming aussie called cadel evans - he will give a bit of cheek in the mountain stages in the both the giro and tour de france this year
Yeah, I know the guy, yet I always though he was more of a sprinter. Maybe that is just because it is a rule of thumb that every Aussi cyclist is a sprinter?

And as for Ullrich, I don't think he has got what it takes to reach the absolute top. He has had many chances but hasn't been able to impress in the Tour, the only race that matters for him, in ages.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFurryAnimal
ahh... I see Flecha is in the first group as well... I like that guy. He rides totally un-Spanish, he attacks! Vamos Flecha!
Once again, you are right Patrice! Flecha made a jump 40km from the finish. He's leading the race alone now. Karsten Kroon is pretty strong too, and has been all week!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Once again, you are right Patrice! Flecha made a jump 40km from the finish. He's leading the race alone now. Karsten Kroon is pretty strong too, and has been all week!
I guess I'm gifted when it comes to predicting...
As a Dutchwoman I'd of course like to see Kroon win, but on the other hand, Flecha is such an attractive rider to watch... Same type as Erik Dekker, Durand, Voigt, Piil... etc. Attack, you guys!

Visit AZ FANPAGE
Old 04-06-2005, 02:33 PM   #12

Nico Mattan just won Gent-Wevelgem. He beat Juan Antonio Flecha in the closing meters. Flecha was the man who made the race, attacking mutiple times. Mattan's victory will be a bit disputed as he seemed to race in the slipstream of the team cars, and motorcycles in the last kilometer. This gave him just the edge to beat Flecha.
Anyway, it was a very thrilling race.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #13
country flag roisin

roisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond reputeroisin has a reputation beyond repute

i wish we got more cycling coverage over here...i love watching it!!
boonen is class, i like ivan basso too and wee thomas voeckler

One muppet, who wishes to remain anonymous, has this to say: "You know, I uhhhh cannot stay all the time at the you know, base of the line. Too much uhhhh pression."

It is your turn to help - The "Save A Muppet Foundation" needs you!
roisin is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-06-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
country flag khyber

khyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond reputekhyber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First of all I'm just curious if there are any other posters to whom cycling means more than Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France.
If there are, we can talk about the springtime classics which are currently going on. Anybody seen Boonen win the Tour of Flanders, that kid is going to be the real thing for quite some time!
If there aren't any cycling fans out here, this thread will die a slow, yet peaceful death.
So, come on out, cycling fans! Wherever you are!
Well, the main thing they focused on here was how Lance was going to support George Hincapie's attempt to capture Flanders. Since they talked it up so much, I kept waiting for the team to make its move, of course they never did. ...

The classics are okay, but I prefer the longer races Tour/Giro/Veulta. I'm big on Thor this year.
khyber is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyber
Well, the main thing they focused on here was how Lance was going to support George Hincapie's attempt to capture Flanders. Since they talked it up so much, I kept waiting for the team to make its move, of course they never did. ...

The classics are okay, but I prefer the longer races Tour/Giro/Veulta. I'm big on Thor this year.
Monday I was at cnnsi.com, looking for Wertheims mailbag, when I saw a heading for the result of the Tour of Flanders. It read: "Armstrong finishes 26th in Flanders."
I was like, wtf? Not a word on the winner, I mean who cares about the #26 on a cycling race? Anyway, the obsession with Armstrong startled me a little.