Andre Agassi vs Joachim Johansson AO 2005 - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #31
BIGMARAT

BIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andre Agassi vs Joachim Johansson AO 2005

you're not a good returner let alone greatest ever if someone can aced you 50+ times.
BIGMARAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite sequence from that match was from either the first or second set. Pim-Pim starts with hitting a doublefault. Then an ace, another ace, and yet another ace to go up 40-15 looking like he doesn't have a care in the world. Agassi hasn't even been allowed to touch the ball or do anything but walk from side to side between points in the game, and decides to sneak up deep inside the baseline for the next serve, reads it perfectly, and cracks a return at Pim-Pim's feet to make a point and vent out a good deal of frustration. Great moment.

And for the record, Pim-Pim was anything but brainless. He was a player who always did his homework prior to a match to opt for the best possible strategy. Very underrated tactician.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #33
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMARAT View Post
you're not a good returner let alone greatest ever if someone can aced you 50+ times.
Good level of english skills displayed here !

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
country flag EddieNero
Banned!

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Match-up issue refers to the serve-return relation too, not only the baseline game. That's why Federer, not exactly a good returner, probably has better return stats against flat serving players than Djokovic or Murray.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #35
country flag Forehander

Forehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
My favorite sequence from that match was from either the first or second set. Pim-Pim starts with hitting a doublefault. Then an ace, another ace, and yet another ace to go up 40-15 looking like he doesn't have a care in the world. Agassi hasn't even been allowed to touch the ball or do anything but walk from side to side between points in the game, and decides to sneak up deep inside the baseline for the next serve, reads it perfectly, and cracks a return at Pim-Pim's feet to make a point and vent out a good deal of frustration. Great moment.

And for the record, Pim-Pim was anything but brainless. He was a player who always did his homework prior to a match to opt for the best possible strategy. Very underrated tactician.
Great post, I forgot to mention that as well. Joachim was so in the zone throughout the whole match he was constantly just going for 2nd serves as well whenever he is ahead in points. Once he gets to 30-0 or 40-0 or 40-15 or even just 15-0 you can almost guarantee that you have no chance of breaking the guy because he's in the "51 aces mode". He was so confident that he'll just be blasting 2nd serves like 1st serves.

If this was a 5 set match he would have owned the ace record count EASILY. I believe this match was the most aces in 4 sets ever. Poor Agassi right after he inches past an in zone serving machine in his next round he faces yet another serving machine Roger Federer who served 22 aces in an one sided straight set match.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #36
country flag Auscon

Auscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond repute

Yep loved this match. AO05 remains my fav slam to date..

& the rest of the Aussie armada

Rafael Nadal
Guillermo Coria

Taylor Dent

...better to reign in hell than serve in heaven...
Auscon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #37
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

PimPim had the tools to be a slam contender before his first shoulder injury. A serve not far off Isner/Karlovic's but a far superior ground game is definitely a recipe for success, although the courts were faster at the time he played his best tennis.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #38
country flag Deivid23

Deivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond repute

Great match. I had surely the most astonishing return winner I´ve ever seen, PimPim fired a big 2nd serve (I think it was a 2nd serve but it should have been up there into the 130mph´s) looking for another ace, but Agassi read it well, moved before JJ hit the ball and stepped into court for a missile of a cracking backhand return winner. I don´t remember exactly when it happened, I´m pretty sure it should have been in the 2nd part of the match, 3rd or 4th set is my guess
Deivid23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote