Andre Agassi vs Joachim Johansson AO 2005 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #16
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andre Agassi vs Joachim Johansson AO 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmazif View Post
yeh, absolute shitstorm of aggressive tennis, not least the brutal serving ofc - seriously great effort from Agassi to come out of it with the win.

this shows the serving performance, at least:

Agassi was looking more and more disappointed throughout that video
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #17
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

I miss you pim pim!

Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #18
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Another nice thread made bitter by a few imbecilic posters.

Anyway, Johansson was such a dangerous player when he was on. He was an absolute ball-basher in the truest sense of the word, and was guarenteed to smack the ball on virtually every serve and forehand he hit.

It is very unfortunate that his career was largely derailed by injuries. I've since wondered how he would have faired with a two-handed backhand.

Still, ailments weren't the sole cause of his shortcomings. He was a relatively hot and cold player. Right after his slugfest with Roddick in '04, he turned around and put up a very subpar performance against Hewitt. His serve went from slam to sham against an already outstanding returner.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #19
country flag Forehander

Forehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by End da Game View Post
safin vs federer in the same slam was arguably a better performance
I definitely preferred Federer vs Safin over this match But still this match was such a great match up and really kept me on my toes when I watched it because of how amazing Joachim played, yet Agassi was still able to edge it out. The swede showcased some of the craziest one-two combos I've seen. As long as it is within his strike zone the balls he was hitting were well over 140-145km, forehands AND backhands. It was just ball bashing at its absolute best, one slight mistake from Agassi and it could have easily gone Johansson's way. I've always respected Agassi and his talents, but after that match my respect for him skyrocketed. It really is a shame that Johansson have left the sport due to injuries, he was quite a talent and had some decent tennis strokes for such a big guy.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #20
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
also LOVE how Agassi seemed to gradually, slowly but surely, move back and back behind the baseline in order to return - 1:56 in the vid is my fav, compare it to the start where he's almost on the baseline (went in closer in fits and starts though).
Kudos to Agassi for trying out different looks, though. Most players, even some of the greats, would step up to the same spot every time and just expect different results. Andre was such a brilliant returner, which made Johansson's effort against him all the more incredible.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #21
country flag Forehander

Forehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yeh, absolute shitstorm of aggressive tennis, not least the brutal serving ofc - seriously great effort from Agassi to come out of it with the win.

Thanks for the video. I've always liked Johansson's service motion, it looks so badass and you can see he's using all his power on the serve. And by the way a LOT of these service aces were actually 2nd serves

Keep in mind that these are only aces, not even counting the non-returnable servces.

And yes as a previous poster mentioned I love how in the video Agassi looks more and more depressed
Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #22
country flag Forehander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
No; No.

Drugassi was a washed up mug.
Mughansson was just lucky in a weak era.
They may be what you say, but there is no deny that these two played some amazing tennis on the day.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #23
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Don't remind me. Still sad about PimPim and his fate
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #24
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
Anyway, Johansson was such a dangerous player when he was on. He was an absolute ball-basher in the truest sense of the word, and was guarenteed to smack the ball on virtually every serve and forehand he hit.
yeh, he didn't exactly hold back.... some of the FHs in his biggest win over Duck:

Henman / Edberg / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Rafter / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #25
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
Even if Agassi was maybe the best returner in history of the game it wasn't surprise so big number of aces against him. Not few times in his carrier he ate 40+ aces. Against big servers he was kind of returner who was picking sides before the ball left server's racket. When he put racket on the ball it was blistering return but often he didn't
Plus he did not try to hard to reach the ball at 30-0 or 40-15.

Agassi played a smart match, reducing errors but still keep Pim-Pim moving. At no point, Pim-Pim looked like a likely winner despite hammering all those aces.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #26
country flag Forehander

Quote:
yeh, he didn't exactly hold back.... some of the FHs in his biggest win over Duck:

lol @ Roddick's reactions towards Joachim's ball bashes as the video progresses haha
Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #27
country flag Juz78

Juz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
no because I was 11
Not competent at 11 to watch tennis on TV?

I've been watching tennis since I was 5... I feel sorry for you.
Juz78 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Another highlight for Pim Pim was his semi-final run at Stockholm in 2006. Due to his constant injury problems he had fallen to world no. 690 in the rankings going into that tournament. His 2 previous tournament appearances had come in futures events in Sweden.

However he received a wildcard, beat Nadal in straight sets in R2, and then fired down a second serve ace to save a match point in his QF against Vliegen, before going on to win that match.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #29
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

hadn't seen that match but starting to understand why Pim Pim's shoulder burned out. He almost used two first serves and compared to say Soderling he got a much more "brutal" technique with a lower balltoss and faster action. I don't think any human body could sustain Johansson's type of tennis for an entire career but wish he got 2-3 more years at least. A player like Raonic needs to be careful to not walk into the same trap
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #30
country flag suvarivarivo

suvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond reputesuvarivarivo has a reputation beyond repute

AO 2005 might had the best quality of matches of all Slams in history. Apart from this match there were epic Safin-Federer SF, equally great Hewitt-Nalbandian QF, Hewitt-Nadal 4th round...

Also the other semi and the final were very good... amazing two weeks of tennis.
suvarivarivo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote