the SCI-FI thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #31
country flag Jverweij
Registered User
 
Jverweij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 3,648
Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat__boy View Post
Yeah Verhoeven's of course, though I haven't seen the remake.

I'll add Cronenberg's Videodrome and eXistenZ too.
I've seen it, and I strongly advise you to not follow in my footsteps :P

Jessica Biel AND Kate Beckinsale and it was still horrible
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #32
country flag Time Violation
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 35
Posts: 11,320
Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

I don't know, I watched it and I think it's alright. Of course, it's not quite the same as the original, but I think it doesn't really matter. For example, I'm a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes, and from the book's standpoint the versions with Robert Downey are grotesque/abominations, but if you don't think about the book all the time, they are decent action movies
__________________
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #33
country flag Jverweij
Registered User
 
Jverweij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 3,648
Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
I don't know, I watched it and I think it's alright. Of course, it's not quite the same as the original, but I think it doesn't really matter. For example, I'm a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes, and from the book's standpoint the versions with Robert Downey are grotesque/abominations, but if you don't think about the book all the time, they are decent action movies
really? i thought both Holmes films were an incoherent mess...
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #34
country flag Time Violation
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 35
Posts: 11,320
Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
really? i thought both Holmes films were an incoherent mess...
Yea, most of the review sites usually give them around 6/10 to 7/10, which is largely the same as I feel
__________________
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #35
country flag J99
Registered User
 
J99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,226
J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

One of the few films that I would possibly consider actual sci-fi is "Solaris" by Tarkovsky, although I feel that it's maybe more surrealism than sci-fi, it still seems to be an attempt at true sci-fi, the reason why there isn't more real sci-fi movies is because it's either very difficult to film and translate to the screen, or hollywood has decided that it won't sell, if the films did end up like "Solaris" much of the time, it would be a hard sell IMO.
__________________
Best TT singles rank: 23
Best TT doubles rank: 55

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #36
country flag J99
Registered User
 
J99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,226
J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
It's a fact because you say so? I don't think so



What about Moon, The Man from Earth, Gattaca, Source Code, District 9, The Adjustment Bureau, Dark City etc.
Of course it's not a fact because I said so, it's a fact because it's a fact.

"Source Code" is pretty much a thriller with sci-fi elements, same thing with "Adjustment Bureau" and "Gattaca", "Dark City" is a mystery before it's sci-fi, "District 9" is an action-thriller with sci-fi, even then it seems to be a thinly veiled political film, "Moon" and "The Man From Earth" are dramas with sci-fi.
__________________
Best TT singles rank: 23
Best TT doubles rank: 55

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #37
country flag Jverweij
Registered User
 
Jverweij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 3,648
Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
Of course it's not a fact because I said so, it's a fact because it's a fact.

"Source Code" is pretty much a thriller with sci-fi elements, same thing with "Adjustment Bureau" and "Gattaca", "Dark City" is a mystery before it's sci-fi, "District 9" is an action-thriller with sci-fi, even then it seems to be a thinly veiled political film, "Moon" and "The Man From Earth" are dramas with sci-fi.
this is nitpicking of the highest order, cmon man. You can just as easily say District 9 is sci-fi with an action and thriller element in it. Same goes for all the other films you mentioned. Sci-fi elements, means its science fiction. A film can be both science fiction and thriller...it's called a sci-fi thriller. It is not one or the other.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #38
country flag jmjhb
Registered User
 
jmjhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Xanadu
Age: 26
Posts: 1,528
jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

I'm a big fan of Battlestar Galactica (the 2003 version), shame the spin-off prequel Caprica wasn't too great.

Blood and Chrome has just been released though, I'm looking forward to watching that in full.
__________________
Tennis Tipping:

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
country flag Echoes
Registered User
 
Echoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 31
Posts: 1,902
Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

SF usually is shit.

I guess it's just what Philippe Muray used to say: "The Unreal has become a social command".

We hate this 'harsh' Real world, so we wish to escape it and dream.

I believe the best literature is the one in which the author tells us what they have to say about Life's problems and those who wanna live in a "fantasy world of childish banalities" (to paraphrase Sir Alec Guinness).

And that's what the greatest authors did: Dickens, Goethe, Hugo, Dostoevsky, etc.

I like SF fictions when they are dystopias like Orwell's 1984 (which wasn't meant to be SF by the way) or Huxley's Brave New World. Great works to denounce this shit Progress teleology.

Or in cinema, Abel Gance's La fin du monde is a masterpiece.

I also rather enjoyed the Back to the Future trilogy because it was still connected to the real world but how the world of 2015 was depicted is shit. I mean it's two years and one month from now and I still don't see hooverboards or flying cars.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #40
country flag Jverweij
Registered User
 
Jverweij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 3,648
Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I think science fiction is usually shit.

I guess it's just what Philippe Muray used to say: "The Unreal has become a social command".

We hate this 'harsh' Real world, so we wish to escape it and dream.

I believe the best literature is the one in which the author tells us what they have to say about Life's problems and those who wanna live in a "fantasy world of childish banalities" (to paraphrase Sir Alec Guinness).

And that's what the greatest authors did: Dickens, Goethe, Hugo, Dostoevsky, etc.

I like SF fictions when they are dystopias like Orwell's 1984 (which wasn't meant to be SF by the way) or Huxley's Brave New World. Great works to denounce this shit Progress teleology.

Or in cinema, Abel Gance's La fin du monde is a masterpiece.

I also rather enjoyed the Back to the Future trilogy because it was still connected to the real world but how the world of 2015 was depicted is shit. I mean it's two years and one month from now and I still don't see hooverboards or flying cars.


corrected that one sentence for you. I understand why you don't like what you describe as science fiction. Maybe we should make a distinction between science fiction and science fantasy. As far as I know, the point of SciFi is that it is connected to the real world mostly. In good scifi, there are some elements that are not possible now, but are not entirely inconceivable. So this will include films about the future, films where first contact is made, films with certain technologies that are as of yet not available, but still plausible.
Science fantasy however is more fantasy than science (Star Wars for instance).

I agree with you that quite a few science fiction films suffer from unbelievable claims, and I too really don't enjoy those. There are plenty that do it quite well though
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #41
country flag J99
Registered User
 
J99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,226
J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
this is nitpicking of the highest order, cmon man. You can just as easily say District 9 is sci-fi with an action and thriller element in it. Same goes for all the other films you mentioned. Sci-fi elements, means its science fiction. A film can be both science fiction and thriller...it's called a sci-fi thriller. It is not one or the other.
No it's not, the point is that in like all films sci-fi comes 2nd, it's not the main point, if you don't get this then there is nothing more I can say.
__________________
Best TT singles rank: 23
Best TT doubles rank: 55

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #42
country flag Time Violation
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 35
Posts: 11,320
Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
"Dark City" is a mystery before it's sci-fi
So there can't be any mystery in order to be sci-fi? I respect your opinion, but you totally made that up and proclaimed it a fact, it just doesn't work like that
__________________
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios