the SCI-FI thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default the SCI-FI thread

Any Scifi fans here? The Star Wars thread got me the inspiration ofc.

I grew up with loads of SciFi. Have watched Star Wars since I was 3-4 years old. I rabidly followed X-Files when it first aired, and am a big fan of the Alien franchise (not the bastardchildren please) and the first Predator.

Series I like are the aforementioned X-files, Babylon 5, and the all too short-lived Firefly.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
Any Scifi fans here? The Star Wars thread got me the inspiration ofc.

I grew up with loads of SciFi. Have watched Star Wars since I was 3-4 years old. I rabidly followed X-Files when it first aired, and am a big fan of the Alien franchise (not the bastardchildren please) and the first Predator.

Series I like are the aforementioned X-files, Babylon 5, and the all too short-lived Firefly.
great shows, i used to watch them a lot when i was a kid
i used to wait for the X-files awake b/c it was late and couldnt sleep.

good times
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Good SF is always welcome. The Flash, Quantum Leap are my early favorites. I think I also watched Automan, but barely can remember anything. X-files, Millenium - Lance Henriksen was awesome there
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Good SF is always welcome. The Flash, Quantum Leap are my early favorites. I think I also watched Automan, but barely can remember anything. X-files, Millenium - Lance Henriksen was awesome there
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

nice ones! I feel I should add the Abyss, slow building movie, but a good one.

And I am surprised to say, I kind of liked the last Star Trek movie (mainly because it didnt really look like previous installments)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
nice ones! I feel I should add the Abyss, slow building movie, but a good one.

And I am surprised to say, I kind of liked the last Star Trek movie (mainly because it didnt really look like previous installments)
Yea, Abyss, good one. Star Trek is a good movie even for non-fans, and should be only more so for fans Here is something a bit obscure, but worth checking out for those who have time to spare: The Lost Room
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the film 'Dune'.

I also loved all the 'Star Wars' films, particularly the original trilogy. Way too young to have been around when they came out, though. My childhood was full of the prequels which are entertaining, but not as profound as the originals.

Anyone into 'Alien'?
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
country flag Jverweij

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I liked the film 'Dune'.

I also loved all the 'Star Wars' films, particularly the original trilogy. Way too young to have been around when they came out, though. My childhood was full of the prequels which are entertaining, but not as profound as the originals.

Anyone into 'Alien'?
Hell yeah, see original post
Dune is great, really big fan of the story. I like the Book alot more than the movie though. I wish they would make a remake of that movie, they are doing all the crappy ones... (judge dredd anyone?)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
country flag Jverweij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Yea, Abyss, good one. Star Trek is a good movie even for non-fans, and should be only more so for fans Here is something a bit obscure, but worth checking out for those who have time to spare: The Lost Room
will check that out thanks

EDIT: ah I see the youngest of the Fannings is starring in that film. I was really, really impressed by her performance in super 8
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I've never read the 'Dune' novel. Perhaps I will at some point.

Damn, I'm usually the one lecturing everyone to read the book before watching the film.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
country flag Jverweij

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I've never read the 'Dune' novel. Perhaps I will at some point.

Damn, I'm usually the one lecturing everyone to read the book before watching the film.
hehe, im not much of a reader, but this book I've pretty much given to all of my friends at a birthday
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond repute

The X-Files, fuck yeah

I named my dog Fox

Millennium was...... not good. It was unbearably monotonous with an interesting episode thrown in every half dozen or so. Things did improve a bit in the off the wall second season but I couldn't bring myself to watch the third.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat__boy View Post
Millennium was...... not good. It was unbearably monotonous with an interesting episode thrown in every half dozen or so. Things did improve a bit in the off the wall second season but I couldn't bring myself to watch the third.
Eh... no offence, but how old were you when Millenium was on if you're 23 now?

Btw, let's not forget one of the all time classics:

Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Any true sci-fi fan knows that the real sci-fi is in the books, not in the movies, which are really just action flicks with a space/sci-fi backdrop.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
country flag Jverweij

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
Any true sci-fi fan knows that the real sci-fi is in the books, not in the movies, which are really just action flicks with a space/sci-fi backdrop.
right, like the books for the all-time classic sci-fi films like Alien, Star Wars, Predator etc..

I'll give you this, there are hardly any films after a book, that are better than a book (can't think of one). With scifi however, the books are released after the films.