Favourite Top 100 Tennis Player - Decide the Final's format - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which format do you prefer for the Final?

Multiple choice poll 19 27.14%
Single choice poll 19 27.14%
Tennis draw 15 21.43%
Final draw 4 5.71%
Elimination 11 15.71%
Race 2 2.86%
Other choice (specify in post) 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favourite Top 100 Tennis Player - Decide the Final's format

Since I see there is talk on how to do the Final's format, I'm gonna let MTF decide the format. I am going to display the choices here, and create a poll to run until next Monday.

Here they are:
Multiple choice poll: The format is the same as the previous rounds. People are allowed to vote for more players among the 8 Finalists.
Single choice poll: The format allows users to vote for one single player among the 8 Finalists.
Tennis draw: This is the format I was thinking of. The 8 players are put inside a Final Draw (this first phase being called Draw Phase). During the Draw Phase, the players are pitted against each other in 4 "matches", in which users vote the winner of each "match". Each match is the style of a tennis match, so each vote is a "tennis point" 0-15, 0-30. The matches are played 3/5 sets. Two seeds are selected from the 8 players. In the next phase, the Final 4 Phase, two matches are played between the remaining 4 players. Finally, we have the Final Duel, between the two most voted for players, 4/7 sets.
Final draw: Like tennis draw, but not with tennis match simulation, but rather regular votes, opened for a time limit.
Elimination: In this format, people give points for the 8 players (Eurovision style). Their favorite gets 15 points, second 11, third 8, fourth 6, fifth 4, sixth 2, seventh 1 and last 0. Every few hours the last place is eliminated, until only one remains.
Race: Like Elimination, but without the elimination. Votes are open for a few days, and the leader after the time expires wins the competition.

Decide please. If you have any other idea, please propose, otherwise your votes in the "Other" section does not count.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite Top 100 Tennis Player - Decide the Final's format

Tennis draw sounds pretty cool. Allowing one point per poster every 3 hours or something.

I would prefer the final be 3/5 sets though.

Love your signature by the way, particularly as Moya is pretty much right in the centre (along with Yevgeny).
n8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

"multiple choice poll" looks as the logic of that competition from the start, and I understand that if a player like Haas who is not always THE favorite but is liked by many ones wins, it would have a logic.

My favorite poll is the "Race" poll but it already exists : it's Eden's poll : http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=195010

there's also another popularity poll in this forum in the end of each year which looks quite like the "final draw" if I remember well. Anyway, I guess this poll will take place this year like every year, and maybe Slasher, as you are quite new here, you're not aware of that.

You know, people in this forum have been used to be boring for two months every year and that's how all those stupid polls were made in that period.

And of course these polls have become like "forum institutions", even the most stupid ones like the ACC.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to apply the format that wins this poll. I have only chosen to continue this contest, but I am not going to host such contests in the future ever again.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
country flag Featherer

Featherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond repute

The contest in progress already has it's tone/identity and major mid contest format changes against the original idea are always bad, imo.
Yes, there is tactical voting happening. It's cool.
Yes, several players got surprisingly many votes as most people like them and gave their 2nd or 3rd vote to them, despite not calling them their MOST favorite player (Haas f.i.).
Nadal and Murray have been eliminated already due to this special format.
And Federer maybe won't have such an easy time in the final either.
That's what makes this contest interesting and unique.
A mid contest format change will make something half-assed out of it.

That said, the ideas in the OP are interesting.
I would appreciate any separate contest(s) featuring some of them.
(There is plenty of time during the off-season.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
I am going to apply the format that wins this poll. I have only chosen to continue this contest, but I am not going to host such contests in the future ever again.
Hmm...
Originally Posted by riff View Post
Fed demolishing Dimitrov will be normal, boring, mundane. We have enough of it in our lives already.
We want something unusual, wonderful and unexpected, turning point, magic.
Hence everybody hyping Dimitrov. We want a fairy tale.
Featherer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
country flag Featherer

Featherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
The problem with multiple choice for the final is that lots of people are voting for everyone except who they want to lose e.g. vote for everyone except Player X. That skews the results.

It hasn't made that much difference so far but that's because people have had their own favourites to focus on. But presumably in the final most people's favourites will be out so I think there will be a lot of tactical voting with a multiple choice poll.
I doubt there will be so very much tactical voting.
More people will vote for their 2nd and 3rd favorite player rather than voting against any other player they don't like, I think, the more since there won't be so many players left in the contest either that they HATE.
And the results have been skewed already anyway, if you want to see it that way. Ask the Nadal and Murray fans.

As far as I'm concerned I like this whole contest idea.
It's different, it's somewhat unusual.
It shows us how many people like a tennis player, despite not beeing a total fan of them.
That's a valid message/statement too, so not something "skewed".
It only gets skewed if major format changes were applied inbetween.
Fed demolishing Dimitrov will be normal, boring, mundane. We have enough of it in our lives already.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherer View Post
Yes, there is tactical voting happening. It's cool.
I think the people who do that deceive the principle of this contest : if it stays a multiple choice poll as I think it should, people should just be honest in their vote and that's it otherwise it's nonsense because it means that it's dishonest people who have the strongest impact on the result !
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
country flag FleetSeb

FleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond repute

Multiple choice allows for people to basically vote against people... which is not very useful for determining who is the most popular, more at deciding 'who is the least unpopular'

Gilles Simon - Juan Martin del Potro - Grigor Dimitrov

Pablo Andujar - Philipp Petzschner - David Ferrer - Mikhail Youzhny - Simone Bolelli

Julien Benneteau - Juan Monaco - Tommy Haas - Gianluigi Quinzi - Tommy Robredo - Guido Pella - Lleyton Hewitt
FleetSeb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
country flag Featherer

You can also vote tactically in a single choice poll (when it's close and you vote for the other one).
That can have a very strong impact as well. Single choice is far from being perfect either.
In case of this contest you can even see from the performances in the SF who you would have to vote for in order to affect the result of the player you dislike.
If you don't like Federer and Haas wins his semis, then you don't even have to wait for the poll result to get close (in the finals), but just vote for Haas when you want.

But with single choice you can't vote for more than one player you like, unlike in the previous stages!
Imagine you dragged your 2nd favorite player all the way to the final, but now the format gets changed and you have to let loose of them ...in order to avoid reduce some possible tactical voting.
Don't you guys think that this is more severe?

That said, I'd better used the term "okay" instead of "cool" in one of my above posts. I tried to express how I would take it easy as it can't be avoided anyway.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherer View Post
As far as I'm concerned I like this whole contest idea.
It's different, it's somewhat unusual.
It shows us how many people like a tennis player, despite not beeing a total fan of them.
I agree, but actually it can be done better by making appropriate stats on the votes on Eden's poll if someone has enough time to make proper stats : Eden's poll has a lot of potential to answer many questions which are raised on MTF, including correlations between liking a top-player and liking another one, etc ... just needs someone brave enough to work on these stats (no not me at the moment )

As for this poll, the only way to skew it imo is the "tactical vote" which, yes, will inevitably occur in the final more than in previous stages.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
country flag Featherer

^^In contrast to Eden's thread (which I like too) this contest is a snapshot of time at the end of the season and moreover it's more like a contest/tournament. That's one more reason for me to keep cool when some tactical voting occurs.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

On second thoughts, I've changed my mind. A single choice poll defeats the original purpose of this competition and Federer would win it comfortably. Not to mention, it would just become a duplicate of Eden's thread if we made it single choice.

A multiple choice final has drawbacks but it's still the best solution I think and it stays true to the original format.

Perhaps in the OP for the final Slasher could make some regulations on voting e.g. you cannot vote for more than 4 players (out of 8). It's not an enforceable rule but it might encourage people to vote honestly.
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
country flag feuselino

feuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond repute

Voted for final draw, 2nd choice would be multiple choice (if you need a tie-breaker )
Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
Not to mention, it would just become a duplicate of Eden's thread if we made it single choice.
no ! Eden's thread is not at all a single choice poll, it's a poll which gives 10 points for first favorite, 9 for second one, etc ... until the tenth, quite like what Slasher calls "the Race". It's not sure that a "single choice" poll would have the same result (there was something like that organized on MTF in the end of previous years and Fed did not win it although I think he should win it if it was organized in good conditions like Eden's poll : Eden's poll has many more voters than MTF's polls in the end of year) .
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

There's no point, Federer will obviously win.

Federer will win another grand slam.
Cilic is not a one slam wonder.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote