Poll: Singles commitments by another person - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should singles commitments made by another person be valid?

Yes 24 36.92%
No 41 63.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll: Singles commitments by another person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
Yes. My partner Acionescu is ranked 92th and I must wait until the last time to sign her up to the tournaments entrylists because she cant be online on sunday. Also this way I can decide our calendar better. So please dont screw this up,

is like taking rights from TT players and we need more power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acionescu View Post
Yes. Because sometimes, as I'm not that high ranked, the partner is much more available than me at the deadline. I cannot commit in advance as I have to wait to see where i have the best chance to enter MD
This is the exact reason the rule is the way it is currently I hope it stays this way.
College basketball sucks.
savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #17
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, this is a game and we are playing for fun.

I can't be all Sundays ing to be in front of the computer at deadline not to miss the commiting

And I dont have iphone, ipod, blackberry and all other gadgets that keep people conected to internet 24/7. And I'm sure it's not only my case.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #18
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by savesthedizzle View Post
This is the exact reason the rule is the way it is currently I hope it stays this way.
And that commit can take someone place, is it fair to this who lost place in MD

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 125(Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 70 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) RU : Sarasota CH (with Litotes), Mohammedia CH (with Daniel_amr)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 9:5 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #19
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, what? The person that either commits himself or is commited by other person would have taken that place anyway, no?

I repeat, it's a game, let it loose a little...
Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
country flag supertom

supertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond repute

No no and no..
You have 2 weeks to commit! It is long enough to find the time to commit without asking your partner. So definitively no.
supertom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #21
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
it's not about not being able to do so in the 10 day window but often people want/need to wait until the 1st deadline aproaches to see which event to pick as they might get in 1 event, and not get into another. This is no good if a poster can't get here then. Hence his partner should be able to commit for him close to the deadline.

Partner sending picks is totally different, he's effetively playing the game for you which is dumb. But commiting someone to an event is in no way playing the game for you, especially if you intend on confirming the commitment at a later date.
Not all of us have regular doubles partners. Take me for example, I often find a partner for a particular tournament after the 1st deadline.
I also have to make a choice sometimes before Sunday, which means I might lose my eventual spot in the MD, but that's life.

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marto View Post
And that commit can take someone place, is it fair to this who lost place in MD
Is it fair that is someone is away on a vacation and cannot commit that week that then they lose a week of TT that they are home for just because they don't have access to commit?

Is it fair that regular doubles partners will have to split up just because they don't have similar enough singles rankings? Especially with another poll going on pushing for a team race instead of doubles individual race? It's like one of these polls is saying "PLAY WITH A PERMANENT PARTER" and this one is saying "SUCKS TO BE YOU IF YOU HAVE A PARTNER"

In the past I've had to try to guess which tournament to commit in watching entry lists, and it's hard. Managers sometimes don't update the entry lists at all, and it comes down to the wire with whether you are in or not sometimes you as a team are on your own trying to figure out where you can or can't play and this game is making it harder, not easier on these teams.

If there's a confirmation I don't see the problem. If the person does not confirm in the second week and does not notify people ahead of time that confirmation will not be possible, then sure, lose the spot and move up someone who "deserves it" more.

And to the person that says you have two weeks to commit, that's incorrect. You have one week to commit without automatically being pushed to be an alternate because ATP events are always full on time.

*edit* I keep editing this because I had to be up for work at 3:30 am today and I'm not sure I'm saying things how I want to say them I don't want to offend anyone, and I don't think I'm being clear Maybe I should leave my thoughts for a day I can think more clearly I just remember the case being made for this so strongly back when I was on the TT Board I don't really remember there being opposition against it like this. But then again I always think TT is mostly good and I'm always surprised at how much people think needs to be changed from year to year.

Last edited by savesthedizzle : 11-23-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #23
country flag Belludal

Belludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond reputeBelludal has a reputation beyond repute

Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #24
country flag Direnan

Direnan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond reputeDirenan has a reputation beyond repute

No? Oh dude!
NALBA, Nadal, Yoshi, Farah, Elias, Sousa, Ferrer, De Bakker, Wawrinka, Gil, Alves, Mello, B. Baker, Gasquet

Bartoli, Matekkão, Wozniack, Minella, Rezai, De Brito, Cirstea, Cornet, Bouchard, Robson
Duarte, Segnini, Hermenegildo, Nanda, Vaisemberg, Bia
Direnan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
country flag acionescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
Not all of us have regular doubles partners. Take me for example, I often find a partner for a particular tournament after the 1st deadline.
I also have to make a choice sometimes before Sunday, which means I might lose my eventual spot in the MD, but that's life.

that's exactly my point, this is not life, this is a f*cking game, dude!

This rule allowed me this year to be able to plan my schedule better( having a TT savvy permanent partner also helped ) and being able to get Top.100 in both singles and doubles. It's a pity if we drop it
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #26
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by savesthedizzle View Post
Is it fair that is someone is away on a vacation and cannot commit that week that then they lose a week of TT that they are home for just because they don't have access to commit?

Is it fair that regular doubles partners will have to split up just because they don't have similar enough singles rankings? Especially with another poll going on pushing for a team race instead of doubles individual race? It's like one of these polls is saying "PLAY WITH A PERMANENT PARTER" and this one is saying "SUCKS TO BE YOU IF YOU HAVE A PARTNER"

In the past I've had to try to guess which tournament to commit in watching entry lists, and it's hard. Managers sometimes don't update the entry lists at all, and it comes down to the wire with whether you are in or not sometimes you as a team are on your own trying to figure out where you can or can't play and this game is making it harder, not easier on these teams.

If there's a confirmation I don't see the problem. If the person does not confirm in the second week and does not notify people ahead of time that confirmation will not be possible, then sure, lose the spot and move up someone who "deserves it" more.

And to the person that says you have two weeks to commit, that's incorrect. You have one week to commit without automatically being pushed to be an alternate because ATP events are always full on time.

*edit* I keep editing this because I had to be up for work at 3:30 am today and I'm not sure I'm saying things how I want to say them I don't want to offend anyone, and I don't think I'm being clear Maybe I should leave my thoughts for a day I can think more clearly I just remember the case being made for this so strongly back when I was on the TT Board I don't really remember there being opposition against it like this. But then again I always think TT is mostly good and I'm always surprised at how much people think needs to be changed from year to year.
This.
You have to be very stupid to change a rule that benefits tt players, unless some idiots want to have some advantage by putting even more strict rules to the commitment.
Win in the game, not by changing the rules.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #27
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Suggestion: 2 commitments from another person for the whole year.

That I wouldn't mind. What I do mind is people committing others for teh lols and for no real reason.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but three

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
country flag appleGirl

appleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the idea of the player having to confirm his commitment later.
Another idea (which I like less) - only the doubles partner can commit you.

TT Singles: 105 (Best: 80) 2011: Fürth CH W, Izmir CH W, Seoul CH W, Sao Jose Do Rio Preto CH W; 2012: Tiburon CH W
TT Doubles: 48 (Best: 42) 2011: Izmir CH W (w/ Mahqz); 2012: US Open SF (w/Mahqz), Tiburon CH W (w/Mahqz), Antalya Fut W (w/Mahqz); 2013: Winston Salem W (w/Mahqz), US Open SF (w/Mahqz)
No.1vak Djokovic!

"Is something unbelievable how he returns, no? His return probably is one of the best of the history. That's my opinion, no? I never played against a player who's able to return like this. Almost every time." - R. Nadal about N. Djokovic
appleGirl is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #29
country flag MathMul

MathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond reputeMathMul has a reputation beyond repute

If a player has a regular doubles partner, he should be able to commit his partner.
But anyone else should not be able to commit another player.
Ranking current/high: 75/73

TT Doubles 2012: W: Shanghai CH /w FernandoToshiba; Lermontov CH, Charlottesville CH /w Freak3yman84
TT Doubles 2013: W: Bastad, Bol Fut /w Freak3yman84; F: Kitzbühel, Kasan CH /w Freak3yman84
TT Doubles 2014: F: Memphis, Schwieberdingen Fut /w Freak3yman84; SF: Indian Wells /w Freak3yman84
Ranking current/high: 79/66
MathMul is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #30
#freeviktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Suggestion: 2 commitments from another person for the whole year.

That I wouldn't mind. What I do mind is people committing others for teh lols and for no real reason.
But is this actually happening? or are people up in arms over something that is not actually a problem

I've never seen someone commit someone for no reason before If this is happening, then I can understand the problem, but I've never seen that before.