Tennis > Baseball Because.... - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #46
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixer View Post
I know nothing about baseball, but Official MLB rules clearly say that you can't do that intentionally (p. 75 - 8.02d).
Thank you Nixer, good work.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #47
country flag garad

garad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond repute

Its not easy to receive serves and put aways either... And you can generate far more speed with tennis racket than your arm only...RPM as well. 90mph mentioned is laughable in tennis. Then on top of this superfluous "fear factor" you have stamina, endurance, dexterity, strenght, mental fortitude and intelligence that you need to be a tennis pro.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #48
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixer View Post
I know nothing about baseball, but Official MLB rules clearly say that you can't do that intentionally (p. 75 - 8.02d).
Happens all the time, basically the equivalent of time wasting rule in tennis, its a rule but nobody cares

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #49
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

You can get suspended for it though,if it starts a brawl but starting pitchers only pitch once every 5 days anyway so any suspension would have to be longer than 5 games to make any difference so nobody cares about that either

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #50
country flag Ajk822

Ajk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by garad View Post
Its not easy to receive serves and put aways either... And you can generate far more speed with tennis racket than your arm only...RPM as well. 90mph mentioned is laughable in tennis. Then on top of this superfluous "fear factor" you have stamina, endurance, dexterity, strenght, mental fortitude and intelligence that you need to be a tennis pro.
Go have someone hit you with a tennis ball at 90mph...you'll probably laugh it off. Now have that person hit you with a baseball at 90mph...if you don't know how to get hit correctly you'll probably break a bone.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #51
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garad View Post
Umm, since when is intelligence a manly trait? Sports commonly viewed as manly are either agressive, "let's collide with or punch each other a whole lot" sports, or dangerous in some other way (preferably including the use of a machine with way too many horsepowers). In other words - STUPID!
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #52
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajk822 View Post
Go have someone hit you with a tennis ball at 90mph...you'll probably laugh it off. Now have that person hit you with a baseball at 90mph...if you don't know how to get hit correctly you'll probably break a bone.
Case in point. Baseball is "manly" because you could get hit with a freakishly hard ball going 90 mph!
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #53
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

^

I don't believe that's an actual "Case in point". The original point which led to the discussion about serve speed vs pitch speed was that there's a much greater chance of getting hit with the ball in baseball as opposed to tennis; and the fear associated with getting hit with said projectile.

A baseball is aimed between the shoulders and legs of the batter and between one and five feet in front of them, when in batting stance. That's a pretty small space considering the pitcher is 46 feet away and throws at 90mph. A tennis serve is generally aimed at a box and preferably away from the returner:
- A batter has a high chance of being hit with 113.6N of force in a concentrated area when aimed wrong.
- A tennis returner has a low chance of being hit with 9.7N, even removing the speed loss during the first bounce.

Does the potential to get hit by a ball make baseball a manlier sport? Not really. However, overcoming said fear of potential injury shows some balls. A baseball player has died by getting hit on the head with a pitch. The closest tennis fatality that I can remember is the official who was hit by an Edberg serve to the groin, and the official died when his head hit the floor. I find baseball extremely boring and haven't watched it since grade school but nevertheless I'd rather face an Ivo Karlovic serve than a high school pitcher.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #54
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
The closest tennis fatality that I can remember is the official who was hit by an Edberg serve to the groin, and the official died when his head hit the floor. I find baseball extremely boring and haven't watched it since grade school but nevertheless I'd rather face an Ivo Karlovic serve than a high school pitcher.
I'd never heard about that until now. Just read about it!

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #55
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Are they moving over here, cause I don't get it...
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote