If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal... - Page 21 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #301
country flag petar_pan
Registered User
 
petar_pan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,565
petar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Yeah, he is damn close to Nadal, he just needs as much weeks as he has been at number 1.
petar_pan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #302
country flag jcempire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 32
Posts: 8,974
jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
Then if he stays there until October 2017 he'll be ahead of Federer. He's only a bit over half to Nadal so let's not get too excited.


2017

How about 2018, 2019?

Keep Dreaming
__________________
GO Roger Federer, Juan Martin Del Potro, Andy Murray, Thomaz Bellucci, Kei Nishikori, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Milos Raonic, Jerzy Janowicz, Grigor Dimitrov, Dennis Novikov and Bernard Tomic

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #303
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,798
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
I did not say that Sampras makes accurate predictions about future tennis events.
Saying "Djokovic will win at least 10 slams" is a prediction about a future tennis event.

If Sampras does not make accurate predictions about future tennis events, then there is no reason to believe what he says is correct here. (Excluding any existing reasons for believing this, of course).
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #304
country flag Han Solo
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 37
Posts: 1,654
Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
I did not say that Sampras makes accurate predictions about future tennis events.



Not true. For example, my argument that Sampras is a tennis expert was based on fact that he was an top professional tennis player. I ask you again:

Can you provide fact-based argument to support your claim that I blindly follow Sampras?
This again??

Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #305
country flag NSMv1924
Registered User
 
NSMv1924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 32
Posts: 1,221
NSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
Yeah, he is damn close to Nadal, he just needs as much weeks as he has been at number 1.
Huh? Guess you didn't pass 1st grade math...he will be at 65 weeks at the end of AO, 37 weeks behind Nadal.
NSMv1924 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #306
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 260
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Litotes, you lost the argument.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Saying "Djokovic will win at least 10 slams" is a prediction about a future tennis event.

If Sampras does not make accurate predictions about future tennis events, then there is no reason to believe what he says is correct here. (Excluding any existing reasons for believing this, of course).
The comparison here is between Sampras and the anonymous poster (Roy Emerson). I know that Sampras is at least some kind of tennis expert while I do not know who is "Roy Emerson". Therefore, there is the reason to have more trust in Sampras than the anonymous poster.
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #307
country flag Litotes
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 41
Posts: 30,254
Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Litotes, you lost the argument.
Certainly not. I lost interest. If you consider the two the same, then that explains your stubbornness. The last word always wins, no matter how pointless? Fine, make any sort of reply and declare yourself winner once more, if it makes you happier.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #308
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,798
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Litotes, you lost the argument.




The comparison here is between Sampras and the anonymous poster (Roy Emerson). I know that Sampras is at least some kind of tennis expert while I do not know who is "Roy Emerson". Therefore, there is the reason to have more trust in Sampras than the anonymous poster.
No, the comparison is between believing a prediction to be 'true' or 'very likely' and reserving judgement. Sampras may have more tennis knowledge than "Roy Emerson", and if forced to choose between them, it may be rational to believe Sampras.

But the point is you are not forced to choose between them. If Sampras has not established that he can make accurate tennis predictions, then the most rational thing to do would be to not believe him either. You simply hold up your hands in the air and say "I don't know".
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #309
country flag sportstennis
Registered User
 
sportstennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 641
sportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

I'm not fan of jokovic

But, I hope so.
__________________
Nadal "Sampras, Ivanisevic match. or one between those kind of players, is not enjoyable. It's not really tennis. it is a few swings of the racquet. For me in the past it was just serve. serve" smug arrogant.

clay excluded. successive win 0.  If grass and a hard are fast. Like Sampras era. Nadal is able to win only with clay. power of defense and muscles. boring ugly. All the surface is slow now.

fake time-out. cheat. gamesmanship. too noisy annoying always. excuse. boycotts threatened. always dissatisfaction cry complaints. dissatisfaction to schedule. selfish two-year ranking. bump to player. ugly protest. always exaggerated appeal of self condition. etc. overrated by fanatic arrogant blind fan
sportstennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #310
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 260
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Certainly not. I lost interest. If you consider the two the same, then that explains your stubbornness. The last word always wins, no matter how pointless? Fine, make any sort of reply and declare yourself winner once more, if it makes you happier.
You lost the argument because you failed to show that I blindly follow Sampras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
No, the comparison is between believing a prediction to be 'true' or 'very likely' and reserving judgement. Sampras may have more tennis knowledge than "Roy Emerson", and if forced to choose between them, it may be rational to believe Sampras.

But the point is you are not forced to choose between them. If Sampras has not established that he can make accurate tennis predictions, then the most rational thing to do would be to not believe him either. You simply hold up your hands in the air and say "I don't know".
On 01-14-2013 you stated this:

"If Sampras does not make accurate predictions about future tennis events, then there is no reason to believe what he says is correct here."

Clearly, you were referring to my claim that I believe Sampras. In my previous post I explained what I meant when I said that I believe Sampras.
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #311
country flag Roy Emerson
Registered User
 
Roy Emerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,837
Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Djokovic will obviously overtake Borg and Nadal when it comes to weeks as #1. Can Djokovic overtake JMac? Harder to predict. The question is if he can win more than 11 slams and overtake Borg and Nadal in slam count.

Last edited by Roy Emerson : 01-30-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #312
country flag Alex999
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 8,844
Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
Djokovic will obviously overtake Borg and Nadal when it comes to weeks as #1. Can Djokovic overtake JMac? Harder to predict. The question is if he can win more than 11 slams and overtake Borg and Nadal in slam count.
it's hard to say anything about 11 slams, or whatever number of majors he will win... we can just guess

I guess he'll stay #1 for a long time, really not sure who can overtake that #1 (Fed is not playing Miami, Murray is too far behind, Nadal is a puzzle with his injuries plus he doesn't seem to care about HC any more) but it's not given ... just too many things involved when we talk about rankings. traditionally, Novak's been very good at IW and Miami. yeah, his chances are good to stay at #1 till October but we'll see ...
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #313
country flag NSMv1924
Registered User
 
NSMv1924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 32
Posts: 1,221
NSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
it's hard to say anything about 11 slams, or whatever number of majors he will win... we can just guess

I guess he'll stay #1 for a long time, really not sure who can overtake that #1 (Fed is not playing Miami, Murray is too far behind, Nadal is a puzzle with his injuries plus he doesn't seem to care about HC any more) but it's not given ... just too many things involved when we talk about rankings. traditionally, Novak's been very good at IW and Miami. yeah, his chances are good to stay at #1 till October but we'll see ...
As a fan of his, getting into triple digits at weeks at No.1 is fantastic, something I definitely couldn't fathom a few years back. As for Slams, I think he gets one more this year for 7, and even if he averages 1 per year for the following 3 years he can still get to 10, which is realistic and again would be spectacular for him. But you're right these kinds of things are very difficult to predict. So many variables.
NSMv1924 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #314
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,798
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
On 01-14-2013 you stated this:

"If Sampras does not make accurate predictions about future tennis events, then there is no reason to believe what he says is correct here."

Clearly, you were referring to my claim that I believe Sampras. In my previous post I explained what I meant when I said that I believe Sampras.
You didn't explain that at all. You said you have more reason to believe Sampras than to believe Roy Emerson. My point is that that in itself does not constitute a belief that what Sampras says is correct, nor does it justify such a conclusion.

Say I make a prediction that the world will end in 50 years. "That's a crazy prediction", you say. So I point to someone in a lunatic asylum who says that the world will not end in 50 years, and I respond "Don't you have more reason to believe me than him?" The truth is that you have reason to believe neither of us, because neither of us have presented any credible evidence.

The same goes for Sampras. You should believe in his prediction that Djokovic will reach a double digit slam count, if you also believe in his credentials as a predictor. Adding Roy Emerson into the mix changes nothing.

A belief that Sampras is a better predictor than Roy Emersen is not a belief that what Sampras says is correct. The two things are separate. If your argument is just the former claim, then it is essentially meaningless, because nothing follows from it. It is like saying that you have more reason to believe my prediction than the guy in the lunatic asylum's.

Last edited by Singularity : 01-30-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #315
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak
 
Nole fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,365
Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I'm not convinced Djoker can stay № 1 till October - he's not that good of a number one.

He's more of a computer number one type: consistent, but not dominant front runner type who amasses far more point relative to the one ranked below him.

However I do believe some time in 2014 (or later) he will catch up with Nadal.
I'm not even going to comment on such level of stupidity.
__________________

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios