If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal... - Page 19 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #271
country flag niff
Registered User
 
niff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 2,040
niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

5555 Relentless.
niff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #272
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,841
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
It's irrelevant for people who are tennis experts. It's relevant for people, including me, who are not tennis experts, they can not comprehend which argument is more sound in regard to this complex issue.
I thought you were calling into question the expertise of MTF members to judge on this particular issue (not being experts). That's why I said "you don't need to be a publicly recognized expert to have expertise on a subject".

Now you've clarified, it seems all you're saying is that you yourself do not have the expertise to judge either way, so you're going to choose to believe Sampras. And that's fine (disregarding the choice of 'expert'). But nothing follows from that. It doesn't follow for example that anyone's arguments are wrong or 'invalid', until they produce their 'expert card'. No one has to demonstrate their expertise to you, because as you said, you're not making any "positive claims".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Why I need to answer that question?
Because it would help establish where we disagree. And because I'm just asking what your position is!
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #273
country flag Litotes
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 41
Posts: 32,873
Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
It's relevant. I'm a non-expert on tennis and the debate here is about a complex tennis issue. Non-experts can not comprehend which argument is more solid on an complex issue.
No, I said it's not relevant and I'm correct in this. Just because I cannot convince you it does not follow that I'm wrong. You are - as yourself stated - a non-expert, not qualified to evaluate whether I am correct or not. You do yourself no favours by trying.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #274
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 265
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
That's why I said "you don't need to be a publicly recognized expert to have expertise on a subject".
You did not answer my question:

You quoted post where I stated that "best evidence of expertise is proof that a person is widely recognized as a expert". Now, explain why that statement means that I said you "need to be publicitly recognized expert to have expertise on a subject"?

Quote:
It doesn't follow for example that anyone's arguments are wrong or 'invalid', until they produce their 'expert card'.
I did not say that.

Quote:
No one has to demonstrate their expertise to you, because as you said, you're not making any "positive claims".
Well, as I said, I'm a non-expert so need proof that someone is an expert in regard to complex issues.

Quote:
Because it would help establish where we disagree. And because I'm just asking what your position is!
You finally made it clear. I do not think that Sampras is a expert tennis historian/statistician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
You are - as yourself stated - a non-expert, not qualified to evaluate whether I am correct or not.
Singularity understood what I wanted to say, so read carefully what he said.
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #275
country flag Litotes
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 41
Posts: 32,873
Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Singularity understood what I wanted to say, so read carefully what he said.
The understanding problem is on your end, not mine. If you choose to follow an "expert" of your own choice blindly instead of listening to arguments, then by all means do so. Just don't expect others to agree with you.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #276
country flag Roy Emerson
Registered User
 
Roy Emerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,977
Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Another prediction from Sampras.

http://www.10sballs.com/2012/12/07/p...ss-his-record/
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #277
country flag Litotes
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 41
Posts: 32,873
Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
"If he stays healthy and plays for four or five more years". I'd say those conditions are less probable than his prediction.

The headline is unrelated to the text, btw. Not particularly uncommon for such articles.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #278
country flag Roy Emerson
Registered User
 
Roy Emerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,977
Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Sampras also predicted Federer to win 10 Wimbledons.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #279
country flag TigerTim
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 10,736
TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick the greek View Post
If No1e stays #1 5 more years he'll overtake Uglyrer.
surely not 5 years

jesus federer was no.1 for ever.

the only way Djokovic does not overtake dull by 2014 is if he gets injured or Murray/dull rips it up next year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiebreak100 View Post
A dishwasher has more personality than Sampras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #280
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,841
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
You did not answer my question:

You quoted post where I stated that "best evidence of expertise is proof that a person is widely recognized as a expert". Now, explain why that statement means that I said you "need to be publicitly recognized expert to have expertise on a subject"?
Your statement doesn't mean that. And, I never claimed that you said that you "need to be publicly recognized expert to have expertise on a subject".

This is what I said:

"The massive hole in your argument is that you don't need to be a publicly recognized expert to have expertise on a subject."

If you were questioning the expertise of members of MTF to make a judgement on this issue, this would have been a massive hole in your argument. A hole in your argument, almost by definition is something you haven't considered, otherwise it would be part of your argument.

The later post was made before you clarified that you were not in fact making any positive claims about the expertise of MTF members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
I did not say that.
This is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
1. Your opinion is irrelevant because you are not a tennis expert
2. Pete Sampras and Steve Flink said that Djokovic will probably reach double digits
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...nis/57339052/1
http://www.tennischannel.com/news/Ne...x?newsid=10327
3. Can you find tennis experts who said that Djokovic will not reach double digits?
Roy Emerson's opinion is not irrelevant, because as we've established, he may well have the expertise to make a judgement on this issue. Secondly, Roy Emerson does not need to find tennis experts who said Djokovic will not reach double digits, because that is no part of his argument.

Quote:
Well, as I said, I'm a non-expert so need proof that someone is an expert in regard to complex issues.
You may need that proof, but of the tens of thousands of people posting on this site only a small proportion (if any) will be widely recognized as tennis experts. The rest have no means of demonstrating their expertise to you because: "non-experts on tennis do not have knowledge to comprehend which argument is more sound in debate about a complex tennis issue".

It is unreasonable to ask someone to do something that is impossible. I think it is also very strange to go to a site, and expect a response that will be impossible for the majority of members to give. Maybe it would help if you asked nicely, rather than dismissing peoples' opinions as irrelevant.

Quote:
You finally made it clear. I do not think that Sampras is a expert tennis historian/statistician.
OK. Here is my next claim: In order to make accurate predictions about future tennis events you need to have a good understanding of past statistical trends, and the ability to take into account unknown variables. The best evidence of prediction ability is a successful track record of past predictions.

I'm asking this in order to narrow down the sort of tennis expert we are looking for.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #281
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 265
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Roy Emerson's opinion is not irrelevant, because as we've established, he may well have the expertise to make a judgement on this issue.
Considering that there is no proof Roy Emerson is a tennis expert and that probably most posters on MTF are not tennis experts, my opinion is that his opinion is irrelevant.

Quote:
Secondly Roy Emerson does not need to find tennis experts who said Djokovic will not reach double digits, because that is no part of his argument.
I asked this question because it is part of my argument.

Quote:
You may need that proof, but of the tens of thousands of people posting on this site only a small proportion (if any) will be widely recognized as tennis experts. The rest have no means of demonstrating their expertise to you because: "non-experts on tennis do not have knowledge to comprehend which argument is more sound in debate about a complex tennis issue".

It is unreasonable to ask someone to do something that is impossible. I think it is also very strange to go to a site, and expect a response that will be impossible for the majority of members to give. Maybe it would help if you asked nicely, rather than dismissing peoples' opinions as irrelevant.
It's possible that some posters can prove that they are widely recognized as tennis experts.

Quote:
In order to make accurate predictions about future tennis events you need to have a good understanding of past statistical trends, and the ability to take into account unknown variables. The best evidence of prediction ability is a successful track record of past predictions.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
If you choose to follow an "expert" of your own choice blindly
How did you come to the conclusion that I blindly follow Sampras?

Quote:
instead of listening to arguments
I'm a non-expert on tennis and non-experts on tennis can not comprehend which argument is more sound on a complex tennis issue.

Last edited by 5555 : 12-27-2012 at 03:42 PM.
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #282
country flag Han Solo
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 37
Posts: 1,715
Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Considering that there is no proof Roy Emerson is a tennis expert and that probably most posters on MTF are not tennis experts, my opinion is that his opinion is irrelevant.



I asked this question because it is part of my argument.



It's possible that some posters can prove that they are widely recognized as tennis experts.



I agree.



How did you come to the conclusion that I blindly follow Sampras?



I'm a non-expert on tennis and non-experts on tennis can not comprehend which argument is more sound on a complex tennis issue.
Why not?
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #283
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,841
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Considering that there is no proof Roy Emerson is a tennis expert and that probably most posters on MTF are not tennis experts, my opinion is that his opinion is irrelevant.
Irrelevant to you, only, not irrelevant tout court. Imagine a guy coming into a discussion about which he knows nothing. "Any proven experts here", he asks. "No", they reply. He lets them continue on. That's the extent of your contribution to the debate.

Imagine you're one of the people debating. Suddenly the guy says, "Hey you! Your opinion is irrelevant!". How do you think you would take that? You're having a discussion about something which, lets say you have expertise in, and someone else (who has no expertise) tells your opinion doesn't matter. He doesn't say, "hey this doesn't matter to me", because then the 'argument' would end right there.

That's you in this debate. This 'debate' has gone on for so long because nobody realized you have no positive arguments (about the topic) to make! You're not participating in anything, you're standing on the sidelines asking people to show their expert credentials, because you believe you're incapable of evaluating arguments on their own merit.

Quote:
I asked this question because it is part of my argument.
What argument? As you said yourself, you're not making any "positive claim[s]". And as such, no one has to prove their expertise to you. It is rude to ask for such proof as a matter of entitlement.

Quote:
It's possible that some posters can prove that they are widely recognized as tennis experts.
I'll repeat what I said again:

"I think it is also very strange to go to a site, and expect a response that will be impossible for the majority of members to give. Maybe it would help if you asked nicely, rather than dismissing peoples' opinions as irrelevant."

If you want expert opinions, an anonymous site like this is the last place to go.

Quote:
I agree.
Good.

This is my revised argument.

Pete Sampras has high level practical understanding of tennis. A "tennis predictor" is someone who has a good understanding of past statistical trends, and the ability to take into account unknown variables. The best evidence of this ability is a successful track record of past predictions. From the fact that Pete Sampras has a high level practical understanding of tennis it does not follow that he is a tennis predictor.

Note: I am not saying Sampras is not a "tennis predictor"; I am saying we cannot infer this from his "high level practical understanding of tennis".
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #284
country flag Litotes
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 41
Posts: 32,873
Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
How did you come to the conclusion that I blindly follow Sampras?


I'm a non-expert on tennis and non-experts on tennis can not comprehend which argument is more sound on a complex tennis issue.
You are giving the impression of being so not open for other interpretations as to try to invalidate any input into the debate besides what your choice of expert is saying. That's blind faith on your part. One can only hope you're not serious about this.

You are a non-expert with very strong views on things you're not an expert on.....
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #285
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 265
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Why not?
Because non-experts do not have enough knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
not irrelevant tout court.
I did not say that.

Quote:
Imagine a guy coming into a discussion about which he knows nothing. "Any proven experts here", he asks. "No", they reply. He lets them continue on. That's the extent of your contribution to the debate.

Imagine you're one of the people debating. Suddenly the guy says, "Hey you! Your opinion is irrelevant!". How do you think you would take that? You're having a discussion about something which, lets say you have expertise in, and someone else (who has no expertise) tells your opinion doesn't matter. He doesn't say, "hey this doesn't matter to me", because then the 'argument' would end right there.

That's you in this debate. This 'debate' has gone on for so long because nobody realized you have no positive arguments (about the topic) to make! You're not participating in anything, you're standing on the sidelines asking people to show their expert credentials, because you believe you're incapable of evaluating arguments on their own merit.
Maybe I was not polite, but you have not shown that any of my arguments were wrong.

Quote:
What argument? As you said yourself, you're not making any "positive claim[s]". And as such, no one has to prove their expertise to you. It is rude to ask for such proof as a matter of entitlement.
How many times I have to repeat that I need to see opinions from proven experts on complex issues considering that I'm a non-expert.

Quote:
I'll repeat what I said again:

"I think it is also very strange to go to a site, and expect a response that will be impossible for the majority of members to give. Maybe it would help if you asked nicely, rather than dismissing peoples' opinions as irrelevant."

If you want expert opinions, an anonymous site like this is the last place to go.
Maybe it's strange, but as I said above, you have not demonstrated that any of my arguments were incorrect.

Quote:
Good.

This is my revised argument.

Pete Sampras has high level practical understanding of tennis. A "tennis predictor" is someone who has a good understanding of past statistical trends, and the ability to take into account unknown variables. The best evidence of this ability is a successful track record of past predictions. From the fact that Pete Sampras has a high level practical understanding of tennis it does not follow that he is a tennis predictor.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
You are giving the impression of being so not open for other interpretations as to try to invalidate any input into the debate besides what your choice of expert is saying. That's blind faith on your part. One can only hope you're not serious about this.
Your argument is not based on fact but on your opinion that I am "giving impression...". Can you provide fact-based argument?

Quote:
You are a non-expert with very strong views on things you're not an expert on.....
What strong views? Give examples.
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios