Robby in 2012 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Robby in 2012

Well Robby will start out by trying to qualify for the A.O. After already blowing one chance to make it into the Tournament

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
country flag Ad Wim

Ad Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Robby in 2012

Maybe he'll try to qualify for Brisbane. He is in the alternates...
Ad Wim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

He should go back to the sports psychologist he was seeing! He was playing great tennis then. I don't know why he stopped going

Old 01-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Yes, Mae, he really should.

Robby is currently featured on the Australian Open website homepage when the page first appears. LOL, just what he needs, attention placed on him as a player ranked #315 whose desperately trying to get out of his low ranking!!! Of course, if he wins his first match, and then his next, he could play the #1 seed...
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

What is the deal with Robby anyway? The sports psychologist is working so he quits going. He has done nothing much since, but he doesn't go back I don't think we need to worry about Robby winning two matches in a row I thought he was in the Qs? I have has internet connection problems, emails problems, and was silly enough to try to be a cheerleader in the Mr. MTF Contest. The guy I was cheering for didn't win a Match in that either, but he was only 16 plus only known in that game they play on here called T.T. I barely feel like tennis has ever started maybe I need a psychologist? BTW it is so nice to see a post from you Oh I thought I saw where Robby had finally gotten engaged, but then I could never find anything else about it after that. I don't know if it was a rumor or I misread something or what happened

Last edited by Mae : 01-21-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #6

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
What is the deal with Robby anyway? The sports psychologist is working so he quits going. He has done nothing much since, but he doesn't go back I don't think we need to worry about Robby winning two matches in a row I thought he was in the Qs? I have has internet connection problems, emails problems, and was silly enough to try to be a cheerleader in the Mr. MTF Contest. The guy I was cheering for didn't win a Match in that either, but he was only 16 plus only known in that game they play on here called T.T. I barely feel like tennis has ever started maybe I need a psychologist? BTW it is so nice to see a post from you Oh I thought I saw where Robby had finally gotten engaged, but then I could never find anything else about it after that. I don't know if it was a rumor or I misread something or what happened
Nice to see you too
Unfortunately, I think Robby felt like he had "arrived" by the end of 2005. I think it was a huge mistake to stop seeing a sports psychologist, or at least one in general. Robby has always had a history of letting his emotions get the best of his tennis game. And that started up in a big way at the beginning of 2006 . He probably feels humiliated going to one again at this point. He claims to have "tried" many things to help himself, but he obviously didn't try to diagnose the real problem. He must put in the work, work hard, and make it a point to be the bigger person on court, the one who can outsmart his opponent, not the one who becomes a victim of his own disdain and pessimism...
Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Well he is going no where now. He lost to F. Serra 6-7 and 3-6 I think I would feel far less humiliated by going to a sports psychologist than losing Match, after Match, after Match, after Match etc.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #8

His statistics in this match weren't too bad, except for one glaring thing... BREAK POINT CONVERSIONS (and game points) he converted 1 out of 8 break points! The one conversion he made was during Serra's FIRST service game! Robby was serving up 2-0, 40*-0, and, if you can believe it, he lost the next 9 points in a row! If he had just converted one of his three game points, he would have won the first set, and it could've been a completely different outcome.

although he had more winners than unforced errors in this match, he still needs to work on focusing in those crucial points!!! He made more errors on those points than any other...

Robby NEEDS to play real matches continuously in order to get the kinks out! He needs to consistently play matches where his advancement is on the line, NOT just practice matches. He takes too many long breaks between tournaments, and he's not getting the match play he needs to get used to the pressure, and to the sport in general. He must work his way back up the ranks the real way, match by match. Not wildcard by wildcard. This is a must if he wants to see any genuine improvement in his game, his mindset, and his results. Even if Robby did end up seeing a sports psychologist, he can't just learn things in theory, he must go out there and do the work needed to get better and put the advice he gets into his real matches, otherwise, it does no good.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Robby can't play real matches continuously, if he always loses in the 1st Round of each Tournament. Or loses in the Qs and his best chance to get into the A.O. was in a wildcard Tournament near where he lives and he couldn't even win that And I noticed last year he even tried some CHs and couldn't even win them! He won some Matches, but not any CH Tournaments that I can remember And don't forget with Robby's ranking so low it is hard for him to even get into Tournaments now so I'm not sure he is necessarily choosing to take too many long breaks between Tournaments

Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #10

I know it sounds like a dichotomy, but, he needs to be entering as many challengers (or futures ) as he can, until he starts winning. There were at least a few challengers in North America that he could've entered after the US Open last year, but he didn't play a single real match until he played for the wildcard chance in December. He can't be skipping opportunities to get his rank up and to get more comfortable on court!

Ever since Robby lost to Ivo Karlovic (on indoor hardcourt) in his very first challenger final in late 2001, he's been unbeatable in singles finals that he's earned a spot into, winning 4 challengers, and 3 ATP tournaments. The only exception came when he was forced to retire due to an ankle injury in the 2010 Tallahassee challenger final in the middle of the 2nd set after winning the 1st set. It just goes to show you what Robby can accomplish when he's actually gained confidence from playing and winning matches. If Robby can just win two challengers within the next two months, his ranking will go up over 150 placements, and he can greatly increase his chances to gain direct entry into Roland Garros, which he's made the 4th round at twice now.

If nothing else he needs to make a deal with his coach in the practice matches he does play, where he has to pay a large amount of money if he loses. He needs some incentive to get used to the pressure of playing to win. He doesn't do enough of that, but I feel he needs to.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #11
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

But I don't think he won any CHs last year did he? I remember one where I think he got to the Final, but lost it

Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
But I don't think he won any CHs last year did he? I remember one where I think he got to the Final, but lost it
Yeah, Robby barely played any challengers last year, but he did make one challenger final last year in Vancouver. However, he didn't earn a spot to the finals there, instead he was defaulted into the finals because his semifinals opponent withdrew from injury. This makes a difference, because Robby's confidence comes from winning and earning advancements in tournaments. I think if Robby had won his semifinal match in Vancouver instead of just walking over to the finals, he would have had more confidence in his finals match. Robby struggled massively on key points in that final... had many opportunities to break back and even the score, but never capitalized on those points...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

And now we know that Robby can't even accept gifts of retirements I feel more and more like the one who should be getting retirement gifts is Robby! Why in the world would any one want to lose Match, after Match, after Match, etc. No wonder he has no confident in himself. He needs to win to get the confident, but he can't win because he has no confident. It is a never ending circle

Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #14

well, typically, his best chance to start winning would be in earlier rounds against opponents who also let their emotions get the best of their tennis, and these are typically the lower ranked players who play challengers. Then, if he keeps it together and beats them, his confidence can start growing from there. But I really do think he needs to win 3 or 4 matches in succession to really give him that extra confidence that he can overcome mistakes here and there and still be able to recover and win.

BTW, that walkover in Vancouver was the first default advancement he's had since 2003! Most players don't have a gap nearly that wide.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #15
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Well Robby should be hitting the CH tournaments then, but will he do it?