2012 Match Of The Year - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Best Match of 2012

Australian Open SF: Novak Djokovic - Andy Murray 11 7.97%
Australian Open Final: Novak Djokovic - Rafael Nadal 48 34.78%
Roland Garros QF: Novak Djokovic - Jo Wilfried Tsonga 6 4.35%
Wimbledon R2: Lukas Rosol - Rafael Nadal 30 21.74%
Wimbledon Final: Roger Federer - Andy Murray 12 8.70%
Olympics SF: Roger Federer - Juan Martin Del Potro 12 8.70%
US Open QF: David Ferrer - Janko Tipsarevic 7 5.07%
US Open Final: Andy Murray - Novak Djokovic 4 2.90%
Shanghai Final: Novak Djokovic - Andy Murray 2 1.45%
Other 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #46
country flag Featherer

Featherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 Match Of The Year

I liked the WTF final best.
Federer's last dance and Djokovic showing why he's the N°1.
He's a different player type from Federer, but nevertheless similarly flexible and talented, imo.
He has the potential for an All Time Great, but kind of underachieved during his early career due to mental issues.
Federer was faster with eliminating his.
Nadal (seemingly) never had any, on the other hand lacks talent when compared to Federer and Djokovic.
But of course he is exceptionally talented too, even has some special weapons and exploits them to the very limit.
After Sampras I think Nadal is the mentally strongest of the All Time Greates. Especially what he did to Federer at the AO final 2009 was so cruel. Only when Rogie was already crying Nadal got an understanding and soothed him.
Federer is probably the most talented ever, but apart from this gift one often gives not enough credit to the work he puts in on court. He's so focused and almost never has a lapse (at least before he got too old). Also in the AO final 2009 he did all the work, but then Nadal switched on the turbo and destroyed everything.
Djokovic can't match Federer's shotmaking skills, but makes up for it by his unmatched athletism.

Anyway, sometimes Nadal is injured, Djokovic suffers from his mental recurrences and Federer is old.
That's when Murray wins.
...Frankly, I don't know yet where to put Murray. Even DelPotro makes more sense to me.
Originally Posted by riff View Post
Fed demolishing Dimitrov will be normal, boring, mundane. We have enough of it in our lives already.
We want something unusual, wonderful and unexpected, turning point, magic.
Hence everybody hyping Dimitrov. We want a fairy tale.
Featherer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #47
country flag JurajCrane

JurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is full of top 4 players, I am starting to be sick of it.

Chennai final : Raonic - Tipsarevic (3,5 hours of intense tennis, great level with 3 tiebreaks and it was final)
Australian Open : Isner - Nalbandian (drama, 5-setter, controversial, great quality)
Rotterdam SF : Federer - Davydenko (okay, Fed is here, but this match was brutal)
Madrid SF : Berdych - Del Potro (quality of this match was just insane even though it was 2-setter)
St.Pete SF : Klizan - Youzhny (longest 3-set match in year, exluding OG, 4 hours of long rallies and quality shotmaking)
Vienna R32 : Del Potro - Brands (I liked this one a lot, really)
Valencia F : Ferrer - Dolgopolov (different players in 500 final, interesting rallies and match)

There were also a great matches on challenger tour, but Filo may better remember them. Prague final was good, Bratislava final was great as well. Some good matches were in Dallas before Miami and many others.

Dustin Brown - Nick Kyrgios - Norbert Gombos - Stanislas Wawrinka - Dominic Thiem
JurajCrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #48
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

JurajCrane Nobody says there weren't good matches at challenger level but they cannot compete for the match of the year. I doubt they had the quality the AO final or the Olympics SF had for example
Isner - Nalbandian was mostly good because of the drama...the quality wasn't that good. Federer - Davydenko was good indeed but not match of the year, Raonic-Tipsarevic was more of a servefest and i didn't see Berdych - Del Potro Madrid so i can't pronunce. Neither i saw Del Potro - Brands but that can't be the match of the year... and Klizan - Youzhny? i really doubt it
nole_no1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #49
country flag JurajCrane

JurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
JurajCrane Nobody says there weren't good matches at challenger level but they cannot compete for the match of the year. I doubt they had the quality the AO final or the Olympics SF had for example
Isner - Nalbandian was mostly good because of the drama...the quality wasn't that good. Federer - Davydenko was good indeed but not match of the year, Raonic-Tipsarevic was more of a servefest and i didn't see Berdych - Del Potro Madrid so i can't pronunce. Neither i saw Del Potro - Brands but that can't be the match of the year... and Klizan - Youzhny? i really doubt it
I was trying only to pick something up as a mentionable matches, because they actually deserve it. Every match has something special to be mentioned.

Janowicz vs Mayer at Wimbledon R3 came to my mind, for example.

Dustin Brown - Nick Kyrgios - Norbert Gombos - Stanislas Wawrinka - Dominic Thiem
JurajCrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #50
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

rg final

tio toni defeat rainovic
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #51
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

For me the 2012 Match of the Year is the one that had the most bearing on how the season would turn out. The quality wasn't the best, but it had a lot of excitement and a glorious storyline where a huge underdog overcame one of the best players of all time, still at the peak of his career.

It sent shock waves all across the tennis world and remains one of the sport's greatest upsets.

Oh, and by the way, I have huge respect for Nadal and what he has achieved. Not a hater by any means...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #52
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

The USO final must be the only match that was nominated for both best and worst match

Personally I think Murray-Ferrer Wimbledon
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #53
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

The WTF final was great.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #54
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

AO final and it's not even close. One of the best GS finals ever. Thugdull coming back to win the 4th and acting like he won the calender slam. Then going up a break in the 5th, only to hand it back to his master was just epic
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards

Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #55
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

Berdych - Potro / Madrid SF

Best Ballbasher's match of the year by a mile.
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #56
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Berdych - Potro / Madrid SF

Best Ballbasher's match of the year by a mile.
Great match, definitely up there. The fast court allowed Berdych to take a few risks and Del Po had to as well. Close battle.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #57
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Olympic final...Noserer denied by Annie Murray the thing he wanted the most Getting humiliated on grass like that had to hurt First time I ever rooted for Mugray. Fedtards and Noserer can take consolation in a fact that he has doubles gold with his pet
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #58
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Olympic final...Noserer denied by Annie Murray the thing he wanted the most Getting humiliated on grass like that had to hurt First time I ever rooted for Mugray. Fedtards and Noserer can take consolation in a fact that he has doubles gold with his pet
Lol great naming right here.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #59
country flag james82

james82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond reputejames82 has a reputation beyond repute

i voted for tsonga/dj but also loved tips/ferrer
faves-Tatsuma Ito,Cedrik-Marcel Stebe,Benoit Paire,Tommy Haas,Kei Nishikori,Andres Seppi,Grigor Dimitrov,Go Soeda,David Goffn,Hiroki Moriya,Ze Zhang,Javier Marti,Tsung Hua Yang,federico DelBonis,Guillaume Rufin,Marius Copil,Nils Langer,Yasutaka Uchiyama,James Duckworth,Jason Kubler,Hiroyasu Ehara,Taro Daniel,Richard Becker,Jerzy Janowicz,Richard Berankis,Jack Sock,Kevin Krawietz,Yong-kyu Lim,Shuichi Sekiguchi,Di Wu,Luke Saville,Andrey Kuznetsov,Damir Dzumhur,Filip Krajinovic,Suk Young Jeong,Roberto Baena,Nick Kyrgios Henri Laaksonen,Dominic Thiem,Jonathan Eysseric,Gerald Melzer,Mirza Basic,Pierre Herbert,Renzo Olivo,Facundo Bagnis,Pablo Busta,Facundo Arguello,Diego Schwartzman,Jiri Vesely,Jan Lennard Struff,Denis Kudla,Pospisil,Elias,Pella
james82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #60
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

The nicest surprise package of the year was the victory of Marc Lopez and Marcel Granollers in the WTF doubles competition. The singles competition, however, was a monumental choke on Federer's part.

The AO final was an epic match, even though my favorite player ultimately lost.
Edda is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote