Rusty Articles and News 2013 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rusty Articles and News 2013

Any news about where he's playing after Davis Cup?
American swing?
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
Any news about where he's playing after Davis Cup?
American swing?
Yes, San Jose, Memphis, Indian Wells.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=211109

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #18
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

Lleyton Hewitt comes from behind to win first round match at San Jose Open

Quote:
LLEYTON Hewitt has scored a comeback 3-6 6-4 7-6 (7-4) win over Slovenia's Blaz Kavcic in the opening round of the San Jose ATP Open in California.

Former world No.1 Hewitt faced a break point while trailing 3-6 1-3 against before taking control of the second set.

The 31-year-old was again on the ropes soon after, trailing 1-3 and 15-40 down in the deciding set before he clawed back to prevail in two hours and 35 minutes.

"It was a tough match. There were a lot of momentum changes throughout the match," Hewitt said.

"He's a tough player and competitor out there. He's had a pretty good start to the year as well.

"It wasn't easy. In the end, I was happy to get through."

Hewitt lost his first two meetings with Kavcic, including a four-set match that lasted almost four hours at the 2012 French Open.

The world No.112, who defeated Andre Agassi in the final of the 2002 San Jose tournament, will face third-seeded Sam Querrey in the second round.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/te...-1226576936046

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
country flag Ausie

HEWITT, TOMIC, NALBANDIAN WIN OPENERS
Indian Wells, U.S.A.

Quote:
Former World No. 1 and two-time BNP Paribas Open champion Lleyton Hewitt will face 2012 runner-up John Isner in the second round after withstanding the challenge of Lukas Rosol Thursday evening in the first round. The Australian won 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 in one hour and 35 minutes, converting four of his 12 break points.

"It was tough conditions, really cold and windy," said Hewitt. "First set early on we both could have got breaks and then I had a lot more opportunities as the set went on. I played pretty well, felt like I was making him play a lot of balls and I was able to get that under my belt. Early in the second set I played a bit of a loose game and he got a lot more confident. He served well for the rest of the second set, which put me under pressure. The third set I tried to get onto his serve again at the start, I was able to do that, fought hard to go up a break. Then I got better as the match went on."

The 32-year-old Hewitt, who has dropped to No. 98 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, has not won back-to-back matches in 2013. The Adelaide native is bidding to rediscover his form at this ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament, where he lifted the trophy in 2002 (d. Henman) and 2003 (d. Kuerten); he also finished runner-up in 2005 (l. to Federer).

"This is one of my favorite tournaments," said Hewitt. "I love the conditions, I love everything about this tournament. It's been one of my favorite stops over the years. Last year I couldn't play because of surgery, so it's good to be back.

"It's going to be a tough match [against Isner]. I've had the better of him in the past. Then lost to him in a tight match in the final of Newport last year. He obviously played really well here last year too. I'll go out there, play my game and see what happens."
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/T...-Harrison.aspx

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
country flag Ausie

HEWITT EDGES ISNER

Quote:
Two-time former champion Lleyton Hewitt ousted 2012 runner-up John Isner 6-7(6), 6-3, 6-4 on Saturday in the second round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells. The Australian did not drop serve in the two-hour, 23-minute contest, saving the four break points he faced, and withstood 18 aces to break Isner twice from nine opportunities. He closed out victory on his fourth match point.

"With John, you get a few opportunities out there to break, and you have to stand up and take your chances when they come," said Hewitt. "I felt like I had the more chances throughout the match. [It feels] great. Obviously being a quality player and in tough conditions as well to return his serve. Doesn't really surprise me that he made the final here last year."

The 32-year-old Hewitt claimed back-to-back wins for the first time since October, when he reached the Stockholm quarterfinals. The Adelaide native has a 29-11 match record at this ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament, winning back-to-back titles in 2002 (d. Henman) and 2003 (d. Kuerten) and finishing runner-up in 2005 (l. to Federer).

The 27-year-old Isner was hampered by a right knee injury at the start of the season, missing the Australian Open, and has since struggled to regain top form. The American No. 15 seed knocked out World No. 1 Novak Djokovic to reach the final last year, finishing runner-up to Roger Federer.

"It's a tough match. I knew it was going to be. Lleyton is such a good competitor,” said Isner. “I felt like I could have played a little bit better. I needed to play very well to win today, and I don't feel like I necessarily did that. But I think Lleyton had a lot to do with it. It's very disappointing.

"But I believe things will get better. As long as I continue to believe that, then I just hope that things will get better, and I do believe that they will. Just gotta keep plugging away."

Hewitt next will face Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka, the No. 18 seed, who rallied for a 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 victory over qualifier Wayne Odesnik.
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/T...er-Hewitt.aspx

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
country flag Ausie

Alund beats Hewitt in US Clay Court Champs

Quote:
An ailing Lleyton Hewitt paid a price for his Davis Cup loyalty as he fell to a first round defeat at the US Men's Clay Court Championships.

Hewitt won the first set before being worn down by world No.94 Martin Alund of Argentina who won 4-6 6-3 6-1.

Former world No.1 Hewitt had made the tiring trip from Uzbekistan after helping Australia to a 3-1 victory in their Davis Cup tie in Namangan.

"It's tough to get back from there to play the next week," Hewitt said.
Advertisement

"I just didn't feel close to 100 per cent. It was a stomach thing.

"It's frustrating. If I could have gotten through this match I could have felt better as the week goes on.

"It wasn't to be."

Hewitt broke Alund in the seventh game of the first set and closed out the set with an overhead winner.

Alund and Hewitt traded breaks in the second and third games of the second set before Alund took control. Hewitt was broken again in the sixth game and Alund escaped two break points before capturing the second set in the ninth game.

Hewitt escaped three match points in the final game but then double-faulted to end the match.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...411-2hmjh.html

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
country flag Ausie

Agassi hails Hewitt's reign at the top

Quote:
Monday marks 10 years since Lleyton Hewitt relinquished the top ranking in men's tennis.

Injuries and father time slowed him long ago, but Hewitt's legendary successor Andre Agassi has recalled how Australia's baseline warrior "was almost impossible to beat" during his dominant two-year reign.

Now 32, Hewitt enjoyed 75 straight weeks atop the rankings before Agassi bumped him off the summit in April 2003.

Hewitt spent a further five weeks at No.1 until Agassi, then fellow American Andy Roddick and Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero had cameos warming the throne for grand slam king Roger Federer, who seized command in early 2004.
Advertisement

A decade on and Hewitt is often harshly remembered as a caretaker No.1 between the Pete Sampras and Federer eras, who occupied the top position for a total of 588 weeks between them.

But not in Agassi's eyes.

The first question Agassi posed to Darren Cahill after appointing the coach who helped Hewitt become the youngest year-ending men's No.1 in history was: "How do I beat Lleyton Hewitt?"

"He was the next person to deal with," Agassi told AAP during his recent promotional visit to Australia.

"When I started working with Darren, Lleyton had gone to No.1 in the world and I wasn't.

"So I wanted to understand the standard and I knew Darren had worked with him, no question about it.

"But I would have said that had he not worked with him. I needed to know where the game was going and what I needed to do to adjust to it."

Hewitt's total of 80 weeks atop the rankings makes him the ninth longest-serving No.1 ever, behind only Federer's 302 weeks, Sampras (286), Ivan Lendl (270), Jimmy Connors (268), John McEnroe (170), Bjorn Borg (109), Rafael Nadal (102) and Agassi (101).

In addition to thumping Sampras 7-6 (7-4) 6-1 6-1 in the 2001 US Open final - the year before Sampras collected his 14th and last grand slam title at Flushing Meadows with victory over Agassi - Hewitt won Wimbledon in 2002 and back-to-back season-ending championships in 2001-02.

"I played Lleyton and I played him at my best," Agassi said.

"We played eight times and we were 4-4. That guy was rough to beat.

"If you played him wrong, he was virtually impossible to beat.

"If you played him smart, he was still tough to beat.

"He was one of the great movers we've ever seen; a defensive player. He had a great transition game. If he got behind in a point, he wasn't happy just being there. He would move forward to take over.

"So I saw his game as being worthy of No.1 and I would have liked to have seen him play Pete more often.

"He didn't worry about Pete's serve. He moved so well that he was actually running down first serves.

"That was different. He brought something else to the equation."
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...429-2iny4.html

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 05-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
country flag Ausie

Lleyton Hewitt to return to Newport!

Quote:
NEWPORT, R.I., May 9, 2013 – Former world No. 1, Aussie tennis great Lleyton Hewitt has committed to the player field for the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, to be played in Newport, Rhode Island, July 8 – 14. Hewitt is returning to Newport for the second year in a row, following a great run last year that brought him into the tournament final where he faced John Isner, the eventual champion. Isner, who won the Newport title in both 2012 and 2011, will also return to Newport this year, setting up the potential for a re-match of the 2012 final. The two have faced each other 4 times, with Hewitt winning 3 times, including a victory over Isner earlier this year at the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells. Additional early commitments to the Newport player field include top American players including Sam Querrey, Ryan Harrison, and Jack Sock.

“We are really looking forward to welcoming Lleyton back to Newport this year. He consistently delivers exciting, intense tennis and we know our fans will be pleased to see him back on the Hall of Fame’s grass courts this summer,” said Tournament Director Mark Stenning. “Adding Lleyton into the mix with John Isner, Sam Querrey, and Ryan Harrison, sets our tournament up to deliver an exciting week of tennis in the ATP World Tour’s first stop of the North American summer swing.”

Hewitt is the first international star to commit to the tournament, which traditionally draws a strong contention of top American players for the first summer event back in the United States, along with an array of international players. Hosted right after Wimbledon, the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships is the only ATP World Tour event in the Northeast and the only tournament played on grass courts in North or South America. Tickets are available now on www.HallofFameTennisChampionships.com or by phone at (401) 849-6053.

Hewitt won the US Open title in 2001 and the Wimbledon title in 2002. In all, he has won 28 ATP World Tour titles in singles and two in doubles (including the 2000 US Open) during his lengthy career.

Hewitt is currently ranked world No. 83 in the Emirates ATP Rankings. His success at Newport last year propelled his ranking significantly, which had dropped into the 200s as he dealt with a toe injury, and he has steadily continued to climb in the rankings ever since. He spent 80 non-consecutive weeks as the No. 1 ranked player in the world, an accomplishment he first achieved at 20 years, 8 months old in 2001, making him the youngest No. 1 in history.
http://www.halloffametennischampions...urn-to-newport

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
country flag Ausie

Hewitt finds positives in first round loss

Quote:
Lleyton Hewitt will head into next week's French Open feeling positive despite a distinct lack of tournament play following a first round exit at the ATP event in Nice.

Australia's representation at the claycourt tune-up tournament ended at the first hurdle on Monday when both Hewitt and Marinko Matosevic lost in the opening round.

Dutchman Robin Haase needed just 61 minutes to overpower Matosevic 6-1 6-4 while wildcard entry Hewitt pushed in-form Spaniard Pablo Andujar hard before going down 6-3 4-6 6-3.

It was Hewitt's first match almost six weeks and the veteran was pleased with how he fared against a claycourt specialist who reached the semi-finals in Madrid last week.
Advertisement

While the 32-year-old former world No.1 will give his all at Roland Garros, he makes no secret of the fact his bigger focus is on the grass courts of Wimbledon next month.

"I'm pretty happy at the moment, actually," said Hewitt, the 2002 Wimbledon champion.

"I haven't played too many claycourt matches and for me the big picture is Wimbledon and trying to get a few matches under my belt before then.

"I was pretty happy with the way I've been hitting the ball in practice and it's always different playing against a claycourt specialist.

"He's in pretty good in form coming of semis in Madrid and I felt like I matched him."

Hewitt was as gritty as ever to fight back in the second set but was edged out by world No.53 Andujar, who will next face Yen-Hsun Lu after the Taiwanese player beat Andreas Seppi 7-5 1-6 6-4.

"I couldn't be happier with my ball striking today and I felt it got better as the match went on, which is a good thing," Hewitt said.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...521-2jxfg.html

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #25
country flag Ausie

Hewitt confident despite French Open loss

Lleyton Hewitt will head towards Wimbledon buoyed by what a former coach described as his best tennis in almost a decade during a first-round French Open loss.

The 32-year-old's remarkable final-set fightback proved in vain as he let a two-set lead slip against 15th-seeded Frenchman Gilles Simon on Sunday.

Marinko Matosevic and James Duckworth also became early casualties as all three Australians involved on day one of the claycourt grand slam suffered losses.

None came closer to victory than Hewitt, who fought back to 5-5 from 5-0 down in the fifth and deciding set before Simon secured a 3-6 1-6 6-4 6-1 7-5 win.

Advertisement
Hewitt ultimately paid for a mid-match fadeout but his play in the first two sets was described by his former coach Darren Cahill as "the best I've seen Hewitt play in about eight years".

Asked if he agreed with Cahill's assessment on Twitter, Hewitt said: "Yeah, first two sets I played pretty well.

"I went out there with a pretty good game plan and I executed it perfectly."

The former world No.1 was troubled by toe blisters, calling for treatment at the start of the final set, but he refused to use it as an excuse.

After taking a six-week break from competition before last week's event in Nice, Hewitt will head into the grasscourt events feeling fit and confident.

"Physically, I feel good. I was never going to play a lot of clay tournaments anyway," he said.

"I wanted to be fresh physically and mentally for the grass season.

"I still trained extremely hard, though, so that was good. Now we will see what happens on the grass."

Hewitt's performance also earned praise from fellow tour veteran David Ferrer, who opened with a 6-4 6-3 6-4 win over Matosevic.

The Spanish fourth seed said Hewitt's longevity meant he should be viewed as "the reference" for younger players on tour.

Matosevic made Ferrer work for his victory but the Australian was left to rue wasting a host of break-point chances, and a 3-0, double-break lead in the second set.

"When you don't take those (chances) against guys like that, it's tough to come back from," he said.

Qualifier Duckworth fell to Slovenian Blaz Kavcic 6-2 6-2 6-2.

Teenage wildcard Nick Kyrgios is the only Australian in action on Monday while Samantha Stosur, Ashleigh Barty and Bernard Tomic open their campaigns on Tuesday.

Australia's top Roland Garros hope Stosur faces Japanese veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm and has vowed to stay focused on the task at hand despite being lumped in a challenging section of the draw featuring defending champion Maria Sharapova and Petra Kvitova.

"If I find myself playing Sharapova or Kvitova, then great," the world No.9 said.

"But you've got to get there first."

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...527-2n5qn.html

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #26
country flag Ausie

Hewitt backs tennis premier league plans

Australian veteran Lleyton Hewitt has endorsed plans for a franchise-based International Premier Tennis League and hopes to play in the inaugural season slated for late next year.
Plans for the tournament were officially announced by India's 12-time grand slam doubles champion Mahesh Bhupathi in Paris last week, with world No.1 Novak Djokovic branding the concept as potentially "revolutionary".
Rafael Nadal is among other stars seemingly enthusiastic, but Roger Federer was reluctant to back the Pan-Asia concept, which Hewitt admitted he knew little about.
The competition would feature the world's best players participating for six franchises dotted throughout Asia, with a player auction to be held in Melbourne before the Australian Open in January.
Advertisement
Hewitt liked the idea and said he'd be interested in playing.
"I would definitely look at it, absolutely," Hewitt said after a first-round loss at the French Open.
"I enjoy playing in Asia anyway. Obviously I have a pretty big following there. My biggest sponsor is Japanese, and obviously had a lot of success in China and Japan in the past.
"... From what I've heard, all the top players are pretty keen on it. I think it's a pretty good idea."
Having seen the success of cricket's Indian Premier League, organisers says the IPTL's foundations bear a similar resemblance to that of its cricketing counterpart.
"Bringing the concept of entertainment to tennis is what I think we're doing here," Bhupathi said.
Bhupathi said fixtures would consist of five one-set matches lasting three hours in total, with teams comprised of between six and 10 players and total salaries for each franchise costing between $US4 million ($A4.12 million) and $US10 million ($A10.31 million).
In addition to men's and women's singles, men's doubles and a mixed doubles, a legends singles - featuring the likes of Australian Pat Rafter, Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi is planned.
Organisers claim most of the world's top-ranked players have already agreed to play, with Australian Samantha Stosur among those expected to be involved.
Bhupathi claimed at a glitzy launch party in Paris on Friday to have won the backing of Djokovic and Nadal as well as Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova.
But Federer, who is already playing a slimmed-down tour schedule in order to preserve his 31-year-old body, still wants to see more details on the project.
"I think it's interesting. But nothing changes as a player has to decide how often he wants to play, how many matches he wants to play," said the Swiss.
"So it's nice to have another opportunity, and Asia is very strong. I tried to support the market quite a lot when I played in Shanghai when I was No.1. I went to play there quite often. That's why I think it's a very good idea.
"But I think it's still quite far away, so we will see in the future how it goes, but I hope it's a success for them."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...#ixzz2UTEgUMur

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #27
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Meanwhile, 32-year-old Hewitt offered no guarantee he would return to Roland Garros next year after losing his opening match to French world No.18 Gilles Simon over a gut-wrenching five sets yesterday.

"Don't know, haven't even thought about it," Hewitt said. "I thought about the rest of the year and what I'm going to play for the most part. The priority is obviously Wimbledon and the Davis Cup."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/te...-1226651660896

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #28
country flag Ausie

Hewitt makes winning start at Queen's

Quote:
Lleyton Hewitt has taken a positive step towards his 15th Wimbledon campaign but he's growing tired of questions over whether this season will be his last.

Hewitt fought back from a set down to get his 2013 grass-court campaign off to a winning start at the Queen's Club tournament in London, beating American veteran Michael Russell 4-6 6-1 6-3 on Monday.

It was Hewitt's first win in more than two months and he was pleased at being able to secure more valuable match practice a fortnight out from the grass-court grand slam, where he lifted the trophy in 2002.

But the Australian world No.82 is less impressed by ongoing questions concerning his future.
Advertisement

After admitting at Roland Garros last week he had no idea if he would return to the French Open next year, the 32-year-old was again quizzed about how long he planned to continue playing after reaching the second round at Queen's.

"I don't know and I'm not going to keep answering that every day," he said.

Asked why he kept playing with more than $A20 million in career prizemoney banked and a young family, Hewitt said the lure of the big events was still strong.

"The grand slams and Davis Cup are still what I play for," he said.

Hewitt's wife Bec and son Cruz were among those in the support box as he began his 13th campaign at Queen's, where he is a four-times champion.

Facing an opponent more than three years his senior, Hewitt started slowly and Russell deservedly took out the opening set.

However the Australian broke back immediately in the second set, survived a titanic struggle to hold serve in the next game and, from there, assumed control.

"I didn't have too much rhythm at the start," Hewitt said.

"(The conditions) suited his style of play and he's the kind of guy you've got to go out there and beat him. He's not going to give you too much.

"In the end I found my rhythm a little bit better."

Hewitt faces a difficult second-up assignment on Tuesday against rising Bulgarian star Grigor Dimitrov, who also needed three sets to defeat Israel's Dudi Sela 4-6 6-2 7-6.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...611-2o0nd.html

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #29
country flag Ausie

Hewitt on a roll at Queen's

Quote:
Lleyton Hewitt continued his impressive run at Queen's Club after fighting back to beat big-serving American Sam Querrey and reach the quarter-finals.

Hewitt, a four-time champion at the grass court event, upset the tournament's sixth seed 5-7 6-3 6-4 on Thursday.

The 32-year-old will face either Argentine third seed Juan Martin del Potro or British wild card Daniel Evans in the last eight.

It is the deepest 82nd-ranked Hewitt has gone into a tournament this year and the veteran is building valuable confidence and match practice leading into Wimbledon, where he is the 2002 champion.
Advertisement

Following on from his impressive second round win over Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov, Hewitt started strongly against world No.19 Querrey, the 2010 Queen's champion.

Hewitt missed a golden chance to clinch the first set at 5-4 up, wasting three set points on Querrey's serve including missing an open forehand down the line after an epic rally.

The American capitalised, holding serve before breaking in the next game and going on to win the set.

Hewitt battled back strongly though, breaking serve midway through the second set and surviving an almighty struggle to serve it out.

He remained on top and broke again to lead 3-2 in the deciding set and fended off two break points in the final game before converting his fourth match point.

Hewitt felt he maintained a high level of play throughout the match as he reached the event's quarter-finals for the first time since 2008.

''The last two matches, I've played pretty well and at the French I played pretty well, really,'' he said of a five-set loss to Gilles Simon at Roland Garros.

''That gave me confidence in my ball striking and I feel like in practice since the French I've been hitting the ball great, it's just a matter of taking that into matches.''

Hewitt said his run in London was proving an ideal preparation for Wimbledon.

''I sort of pick and choose the tournaments that I want to play nowadays, I don't play week in week out,'' he said.

''So for me going into a grand slam, this is perfect preparation.

''You play quality players, you're a break point down, you're fighting off big points.''To come through a close three-setter against a good quality player is good preparation.''
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...#ixzz2W79J5RR7

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 06-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #30
country flag Ausie

Hewitt shapes as Wimbledon dangerman

Quote:
Always a dangerous floater in the Wimbledon draw, Lleyton Hewitt's rivals at the grasscourt grand slam will be on red alert after his superb showing at Queen's Club.

Hewitt, 32, defied his age and ranking of 82 to reach the semi-finals of the London event before a tough three-set loss to defending champion Marin Cilic on Saturday.

Coming into the event on the back of a stop-start season with a 7-9 win-loss record, the former world No.1 was looking for some crucial confidence and game time ahead of his 15th Wimbledon campaign, starting Monday week.

He was able to get both in spades with a stellar run that featured upset wins over seeded players Juan Martin del Potro, Sam Querrey and Grigor Dimitrov.
Advertisement

The performance will result in a rankings rise for Hewitt, but only to around 70 and still a long way from the 32 seeded players at the All England Club.

The fact he could land anywhere in the draw and the confidence taken from Queen's, makes the 2002 Wimbledon champion a nightmare early-round proposition.

"I played great all week and I got better throughout," Hewitt said after missing out on a record fifth Queen's title.

"I don't play that many matches, so the more matches I get before a major, the better for me."

Hewitt called a medical timeout in the second set of his 6-4 4-6 6-2 loss to Cilic to receive treatment on his right leg, causing some concern about his fitness.

However he was confident it wouldn't be an issue in a week.

"I was getting a bit sore and didn't feel like I could move 100 per cent," Hewitt said.

"It was just (playing) a few matches on grass, I think, and just a slight strain."

While compatriots including Bernard Tomic and Samantha Stosur finalise their preparations at the tournament in Eastbourne this week, Hewitt will focus on getting his body right and training.

"I will try and hit most days, I think, because - with the weather - you just don't know," he said.

"The court time that I can get is important."

The Wimbledon draw will take place on Friday.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...616-2oc1r.html

Lleyton Hewitt