Is Murray better liked in America than Britain? - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What do you think, especially at the O2 Final?

It's normal for Fed to be cheered/Murray jeered, same would happen to Nadal/Djoko at home 8 25.00%
The English still don't give Murray credit, and might never do, even to the point of booing him 18 56.25%
Americans and Aussies are just generally more friendly, fair people 1 3.13%
I didn't watch the match/don't know/don't care 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #91
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

murray is a winner but is not posh

henman was not a winner but is posh

henman is universally loved, murray is simply liked

there's your answer, uk is one of the most class-based societies in the world
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #92
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

First, it should be semi-final in the poll question.

Second, as someone who was at the Murray/Berdych match and the Murray/Federer match, I fail to see why OP and other posters think that Murray's not well supported in the UK. I was absolutely terrified by the Murray support when I was at the first match; it came pretty close to the level of craziness that I experienced when I watched Lleyton Hewitt in Melbourne. The support for him wasn't as loud in the semi-final, but that's to be expected. Federer fans come from every part of the world. I sat next to an American/Canadian girl who was cheering for Roger and I went with a guy from Hong Kong who was also a Roger fan, and I'm from Singapore. The fact is, Federer's popularity transcends nationality. The crowd support for him in the SF, in my opinion, had little to do with whether or not Murray is well-liked in the UK.

Just an anecdotal story: I bought a ticket to Roger's match with del Potro from this English guy on eBay. At the match I asked him who his favourite player was. He didn't have a strong preference for anyone, but said that he liked watching Roger play because he's just so good (), but he wanted Murray to win the tournament because Murray is the local boy.

Bottom line is, you simply cannot gauge the level of home support for Murray when he plays Federer (or maybe even Nadal). I can't comment on the booing because I didn't know what was happening as I was too busy staring at Roger, but purely based on the crowd support for him at those two matches that I attended, I don't think he's widely hated or disliked in Britain at all. In fact, I'd say it's the opposite.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #93
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. He's liked everywhere, but not as much as the other top four which is understandable. I think it's kinda expected considering he's quite shy and likes to keep himself to himself, even though he's a nice guy.... of course there'll be the tards on here who don't like him for no reason.
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #94
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Not really. He's liked everywhere, but not as much as the other top four which is understandable. I think it's kinda expected considering he's quite shy and likes to keep himself to himself, even though he's a nice guy.... of course there'll be the tards on here who don't like him for no reason.
Nop, he is only liked by some tards but they are just a few bunch of blind ppl that follow tennis since a couple of years. Just take a look at "favourite tennis contest" he was eliminated in first round (and four players went through next round ) He is disgusting when he loses, whining and bad-mouthing on the court. Not to mention his awful tennis style
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #95
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Nop, he is only liked by some tards but they are just a few bunch of blind ppl that follow tennis since a couple of years. Just take a look at "favourite tennis contest" he was eliminated in first round (and four players went through next round ) He is disgusting when he loses, whining and bad-mouthing on the court. Not to mention his awful tennis style
He is a hero north of the border here, divides people in England, is quite popular in the US, unpopular in France and universally loathed in Argentina. This is the general impression I get.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #96
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Federer was always going to get more support when they played at the World Tour Finals, the British crowd clearly felt sorry for him after the trashing Murray gave him only a few months before in the same city.

Seriously though Murray's support has always been great though at home, seen him play at Queens, Wimbledon and World Tour Finals against Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych, Del Potro etc. and only against Federer and Nadal has he not had a majority of the crowd behind him, which is expected given how great the pair of them are.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #97
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
He is a hero north of the border here, divides people in England, is quite popular in the US, unpopular in France and universally loathed in Argentina. This is the general impression I get.
I like him.
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #98
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Most people in Argentina don't even follow tennis (except for Davis Cup maybe) so they probably don't have a clue who Murray is.

EDIT: I was trying to quote Rocketassist post, no this one
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #99
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Most people in Argentina don't even follow tennis (except for Davis Cup maybe) so they probably don't have a clue who Murray is.

EDIT: I was trying to quote Rocketassist post, no this one
Yeah, that's very true. We hosted some Argentinians who were on a field hockey tour over here, and I had a good chat to them about various things, including tennis. They said that they don't really follow tennis, but appreciate the good work that Del Potro and Nalbandian have done. I imagine it's the case for most people. It's really a football mad country, and they also like their basketball. I think rugby is getting quite big over there, too. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #100
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Yeah, that's very true. We hosted some Argentinians who were on a field hockey tour over here, and I had a good chat to them about various things, including tennis. They said that they don't really follow tennis, but appreciate the good work that Del Potro and Nalbandian have done. I imagine it's the case for most people. It's really a football mad country, and they also like their basketball. I think rugby is getting quite big over there, too. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yep. Football is, by far, the most popular sport here. Tennis was popular during the Vilas days and in 2004-2006 when he had some great players at the top(Coria, Nalbandian, Gaudio, Cañas, Puerta, etc). It's at the same level of popularity than rugby, boxing and polo I would say. Car racing is popular too. Basketball maybe in the last few years that there were some players in the NBA and we won the gold in the olympics and reached a WC final. But football is clearly above the rest.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #101
country flag decrepitude

decrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As others have said, this is rubbish. Not all posters bother with the silly games, some of us have better things to do.

I am a big Murray fan, and far from following tennis for only a couple of years, have been a tennis fan for nearly sixty (yes, sixty) years. While I am English, I don't think patriotism comes into it much: my earlier favourites included Johnny Mac, Edberg, and the biggest before Andy was his current coach, Lendl. I am not very patriotic anyway.

Following ANDY MURRAY and all British tennis on
http://www.freewebs.com/britishtennis/stats.html
(click on GB Tennis Forum)
decrepitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #102
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzac View Post
Del Potro has a slam

I think Murray divides opinion mostly. I feel that most of the British crowd get behind him because he is british and not because they like his personality or tennis. Not saying that all of them do, but i think that's the main reason some of them do. Overseas, they must like his tennis &/or personality, because patriotism doesn't come into play.
Yeah didn't notice he had Del Potro on that list, but Del Potro is in my top 3 players so I'm not going to complain about being wrong there, although it does prove my point about liking more than one different style of Tennis.

Agree on the patriotism over the personality, but like I mentioned before, even as a Murray fan I don't think he has the best personality. He's not a nasty guy, but he's not as outgoing as the others.

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #103
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
Federer was always going to get more support when they played at the World Tour Finals, the British crowd clearly felt sorry for him after the trashing Murray gave him only a few months before in the same city.
Murray was always going to get more support when they played at the Olympics, the British crowd clearly felt sorry for him after the trashing Federer gave him only a few weeks before in the same city.

Seriously though, there is one poll option missing which is the correct one. It isn't about murray it's about Federer. He is loved and cheered wherever he plays. He surpassed nationality he is a global icon. So it's only natural that people would support Roger in a tennis tournament over a brit in england.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #104
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute

Murray is not so unliked. I am a fan, from England, and I chat to some other English people who like him. I was at a barbeque when he won the Olympics and everyone was rooting for him. His haters through are especially vocal.
Also, the Brits are a critical bunch and just because you are British does not mean you are immune from being openly criticised even if it may not be particularly helpful at the time. His display against Federer in the WTF semis was worthy of a few boos but does not mean he is disliked. The boos were just a reaction to his unsportsmanlike behaviour. In general, if Murray is disliked it is because of such behaviours and he could not expect everyone's respect when he acts the way he does.
Maybe Americans like him more, I don't know. But it might be a little like how uncles and aunts spoil their nephews and nieces. They might overlook his little tantrums and be charmed by his declarations of the US open being the Major he wants to win most. Meanwhile the Brits are like his parents, wanting him to behave properly and hoping he can pull himself together and win the home championships for the first time since great grand-dad Perry.

http://www.thetennisreview.com/roger...r-and-against/
Federer, the US Open 2014 and Slam No.18- The Case For and Against
fluffyyelloballz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #105
country flag ProdigyEng

If Murray took PR classes and opened up more to the media, he'd be more liked, but why should he do that and change who he is? It's clear he doesn't want to be in the limelight, and wants to keep himself to himself... In my eyes his stand point on this is a lot better than the multiple UK Footballers who do silly stuff each weekend when out clubbing, and end in the papers for the wrong reasons. Murray doesn't do this, he's not that kind of guy, which is good. He's a nice guy, who doesn't want the attention on him, just remember his comments on the sports personality where he said everyone who did well in sports this summer should win it, and not just one person, who else would say that?

At the end of the day he has the right to be himself. Let's remember that Federer was once a hot head and wasn't really able to handle the media. Nadal still struggles, but the only reason he gets liked and praised (other than the amount of Slams he's won) is because of his looks. Think about it, who are people going to like more, a tanned and beefed up Spanish guy, or a pale scruffy Scottish guy? The only guy in the top 4 who in my eyes natural behaviour makes them likeable is Djokovic.

argument.
Quote: