Is Murray better liked in America than Britain? - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What do you think, especially at the O2 Final?

It's normal for Fed to be cheered/Murray jeered, same would happen to Nadal/Djoko at home 8 25.00%
The English still don't give Murray credit, and might never do, even to the point of booing him 18 56.25%
Americans and Aussies are just generally more friendly, fair people 1 3.13%
I didn't watch the match/don't know/don't care 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #76
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

the thing is, Murray is a very hard personality to get behind or particularly like. the only time in his career where I have really 'felt' for him while he's had a speech or anything, was when he cried at Wimbledon

and while I was really pulling for him to win the US Open, and thought that he might have a new better attitude, the problem has persisted. I mean even watch Murray's reaction after winning the US OPen in interviews immediately after and stuff

he doesn't beam with excitement or joy, he seems sort of like a robot. even Djokovic who's style of play I am critical of at times, is funny and TRIES to entertain occasionally. Murray is far too dull and unexciting for his home crowds to really get behind and love

when you win the US Open in the interview after your fans want you to be excited, they want you to seem happy and to seem personable. but Murray didn't and doesn't

it's the void of personality that he either has or persists on presenting, at least why the Brits don't love him. who really loves Murray's personality? he's a nice seeming chap but the personality is nothing to write home about

the Americans love the under dog, and that's why they cheered for Murray

the problem Murray faces is that he lacks real flare and for personality to make up or his on court tantrums. if you have a player like Roddick who could act like an ass hole, the American fans will still get behind him because at least he bothers to entertain in interviews, and at least he shows personality. Murray is too much of a stone

no country wants their one tennis player representative to act like a stone, being they do not want to be considered boring and of whining attitude, and that's what Murray represents now, even after his big wins

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #77
country flag Murray Mint

Murray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
the english crowd are a bunch of pampered stiffs. i really wouldn't expect anything remotely close to class from them. a pack of hyenas could do a better job supporting one of their own than their bunch. then again, i guess the uptight english don't consider a scott truly as one of their own. their loss. i hope scotland gets their independence soon enough so that england remains lonely as a mug tennis nation without having to claim some sort of forced alliance with the rest of the UK in order to feel some type of union jack patriotism. fuck them.
Holy shit, as usual there's some real crap being talked on this thread but this is just too sweet. Is that a Palestine flag I see next to this load of nonsense? Someone carrying the flag of a shitpot little nation that isn't even universally recognised, daring to slag off dear old England? 'Forced alliance' clueless..

Regarding 'bitter Scots', there's no doubt that you also get bitter anti-Scottish English types. It's generally ignorant football fans. It's an idiotic attitude, regardless of which side of the border they're on. Football rivalry is fun, for sure, but as usual it gets taken too far and people act like pathetic children and think they can generalise an entire nation (much like our friend from Palestine up there). Scotland is a beautiful place, and the people have always been wonderful in my experiences there. The break-up of the UK would be extremely sad, but I have the utmost faith in the Scottish people to do the right thing re: the referendum.

Murray is a funny guy, but his sense of humour escapes a lot of people who prefer hit-you-in-the-face-with-a-sledgehammer humour. People resent him because he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve in interviews, which is pathetic. He's not a natural showman, he values his privacy, which is obviously difficult to get - so he's hardly going to share his innermost every time he's interviewed.
Murray Mint is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #78
country flag Pipsy

Pipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Lest we forget that the current Scottish First Minister, whom the Scottish people voted in, is currently seeking to break away from the UK if he gets his way in the referendum. If anything Scottish people are determined to have nothing to do with the English, not vice versa so I'm sure you can understand why we don't exactly embrace them.
This is actually not true. Most recent polls show that English people on a whole would rather that Scotland break away than Scottish people. Personally, I think that the United Kingdom is stronger for having Scotland as part of the union.

As for Murray, he's pretty well liked in Britain, probably more so after the double whammy of crying after losing the Wimbledon final and then coming back to win a month later when he was playing for his own pride and national honour in a GB shirt.

There are three reasons he's not as well liked as he might be in this country. Firstly, his perceived stroppiness, especially in his earlier career. Secondly, a dry remark he made about supporting anybody but England in a football tournament that got taken completely out of context by the British press. Thirdly, he's just not Tim Henman.

I'm English and Murray is my favourite player. That will stay the same whether Scotland stays with the rest of the UK or not. I really like his game and his dry humour off the court. In fact I like his game better than that of Tim Henman but Tim Henman will always be my favourite player because I watched him the most growing up and wanted him to win more than I wanted anything else ever. The fact that he never won a major, after trying so hard and doing so well despite his limitations will always make him a sentimental favourite over here for people who used to watch him play.

Born to be the fourth best player in the world!

Statistics I maintain on MTF(updated to end of 2013)
Bagels Hall of Fame and Hall of Shame
Cumulative Weeks in Top 10
Grand Slam Wooden Spoon Winners
Pipsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #79
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

The British press is notoriously critical of its athletes, so I do believe that many of their athletes are better liked in America than in their own country.
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #80
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

The casual US fans don't know much either. They watch Patrick McEnroe and think Federer invented the Dropper Shot. ESPN invented the Federer Funhouse, but the house was burned by Djokovic- on the daily.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #81
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
How about the fan with her baby crying & whining in the hot stadium because her mommy didn't feed her with her booby? Probably a Fedfangirl.
post of the year
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #82
country flag shmeeko69

shmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond reputeshmeeko69 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Lest we forget that the current Scottish First Minister, whom the Scottish people voted in, is currently seeking to break away from the UK if he gets his way in the referendum. If anything Scottish people are determined to have nothing to do with the English, not vice versa so I'm sure you can understand why we don't exactly embrace them.
Politics should have nothing to do with it though and the fact that the we short chubby bloke is obsessed about indepedence. He represents GB and not Scotland, so people should judge him on that and whether they like him as a tennis player.

Betting Reviews

Racing Winners
shmeeko69 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #83
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenosys View Post
It's disputable whether the section of the crowd that boo'ed him were even British & Andy Murray supporters, who knows, I remember seeing a lot of Swiss flags. He was roundly boo'ed because sections of the crowd thought he was wasting time by changing racquets before the start of a point, not realising he'd broken it the point before. I know the Brits are a strong advocate when it comes to fair play, so it's likely they jumped to conclusions and got the wrong end of the stick.

In the context of the match as a whole, Federer is a key ingredient in this discussion. Put someone else (i.e Novak) at the other side of the net, and the applause and encouragement is generally louder between points.

I shouldn't be complaining. The Olympics & Davis Cup aside, Tennis is an individual sport and allegiances to ones country should be an after-thought when it comes to the support of any particular player. The fans pay their money and are entitled to express their opinion.
Well, in the final the cheering was pretty even for Nole and Roger, I didn't hear any more roar for Federer to be honest. So that makes it more puzzling that they booed Murray.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic provisional nº2

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #84
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Then again Ewan McGregor is also Scottish and he's very well liked in England.
There's always an exception. Don't be pedantic.

Worth remembering that London as a City is made up of so many different nationalities and cultures. It's not inconceivable that up to half of the audience were foreigners.

Storm in a teacup and all that.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #85
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipsy View Post
This is actually not true. Most recent polls show that English people on a whole would rather that Scotland break away than Scottish people. Personally, I think that the United Kingdom is stronger for having Scotland as part of the union.
A better poll would be to ask whether we (the English) actually care either way. That would be a much more relevant question, but that's by the by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmeeko69 View Post
Politics should have nothing to do with it though and the fact that the we short chubby bloke is obsessed about indepedence. He represents GB and not Scotland, so people should judge him on that and whether they like him as a tennis player.
He doesn't though, does he? He drapes himself in a Scottish flag at the first opportunity.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #86
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipsy View Post

As for Murray, he's pretty well liked in Britain, probably more so after the double whammy of crying after losing the Wimbledon final and then coming back to win a month later when he was playing for his own pride and national honour in a GB shirt.

There are three reasons he's not as well liked as he might be in this country. Firstly, his perceived stroppiness, especially in his earlier career. Secondly, a dry remark he made about supporting anybody but England in a football tournament that got taken completely out of context by the British press. Thirdly, he's just not Tim Henman.

I'm English and Murray is my favourite player. That will stay the same whether Scotland stays with the rest of the UK or not. I really like his game and his dry humour off the court. In fact I like his game better than that of Tim Henman but Tim Henman will always be my favourite player because I watched him the most growing up and wanted him to win more than I wanted anything else ever. The fact that he never won a major, after trying so hard and doing so well despite his limitations will always make him a sentimental favourite over here for people who used to watch him play.
Regarding Scottish Independence I don't think it will happen.

1. If they leave they have to pay off their share of the debt, no way they can be allowed to leave and start debt free.

2. They'll get their share of the military and I am not sure the idea of leaving them with a few nukes and nuclear submarines is something that will go down well.

Quote:
Liverpool FC need to return to the good old days when the players were born and bred locally. Dalglish, Keegan, McDermott, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Grobelaar, Toshack, Molby ........ or were they just the Chelsea of the 70's buying the best talent available in the market?
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #87
country flag MinioNole

MinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but during the USO final I think they kinda just went on rooting for Murray after leading 2 sets to love. Thinking it would be quite dramatic and special to finally seeing him winning a slam. I think the response would have been different had No1e won it in a straight forward fashion.
MinioNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #88
country flag Xenosys

Xenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond repute

If you watch some of Murray's off-court interviews that are more personal in nature and aren't done by major broadcasters, he generally seems more relaxed and comes across as far more likable than it may seem on-court after matches. I think the British media are to blame. They are notorious for building their athletes up and knocking them down as and when it suits them. Murray got such a ridiculing from the nations's press after that comment about the English football team (unjustifiably so as it was taken out of context), that he's obviously been drilled by his PR team, and you can tell he's a little uncomfortable when a microphone's shoved under his face.

It's not quite as bad as it used to be, but old habits die hard. The British media are scum, pure and simple.
Xenosys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #89
country flag MurrayMagic1

MurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenosys View Post
If you watch some of Murray's off-court interviews that are more personal in nature and aren't done by major broadcasters, he generally seems more relaxed and comes across as far more likable than it may seem on-court after matches. I think the British media are to blame. They are notorious for building their athletes up and knocking them down as and when it suits them. Murray got such a ridiculing from the nations's press after that comment about the English football team (unjustifiably so as it was taken out of context), that he's obviously been drilled by his PR team, and you can tell he's a little uncomfortable when a microphone's shoved under his face.

It's not quite as bad as it used to be, but old habits die hard. The British media are scum, pure and simple.
In a nutshell. terrific post.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #90
country flag Murray Mint

Murray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, it's spot on.

Even if you see his more intimate SkySports interviews, he'll be relaxed and joking around, talking about the game and all sorts of other things. Then compare that to the interviews by the BBC when he's just played at Wimbledon, and the poor guy doesn't look comfortable in his own skin.

I said somewhere else on here, the whole England/Paraguay episode was a case of him joking around, something the press wanted from him - then when he does have a laugh they get hold of it, take it out of context, and turn hordes of morons against him. I think the way he's handled the consistently appalling treatment he had in the press (as a very young man, let's not forget) has been admirable. But then it's what they do..... I remember Henman being slagged off, not just whenever he lost, but the character assassination treatment as well.
Murray Mint is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote