Is Murray better liked in America than Britain? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What do you think, especially at the O2 Final?

It's normal for Fed to be cheered/Murray jeered, same would happen to Nadal/Djoko at home 8 25.00%
The English still don't give Murray credit, and might never do, even to the point of booing him 18 56.25%
Americans and Aussies are just generally more friendly, fair people 1 3.13%
I didn't watch the match/don't know/don't care 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #61
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Thing is I find booing fun but not when it's someone booing their own national hero.

For example the DC atmospheres like South America, Chileans throwing stuff at Zabaleta (who I liked) that was awesome. That's hostility. Come to our town and we'll give you the welcome you deserve etc.

But to boo your own, nah I'm out.
Completely agree. Booing is great, it adds more atmosphere. Don't like it when people boo their own player or team, though.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #62
country flag MurrayMagic1

MurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
lettuce be realtea here Murray deserved the boos.

Hopefully they ban him next time he throws a tantrum on court.
over exaggerating every thing. You don't even have a valid point LOL No one deserves to get booed. I find it disrespectful and classless. especially if you are getting booed in your own country. its embarrassing and disgraceful
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #63
country flag GOAT = Fed

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMagic1 View Post
over exaggerating every thing. You don't even have a valid point LOL No one deserves to get booed. I find it disrespectful and classless. especially if you are getting booed in your own country. its embarrassing and disgraceful
Why can't he be booed in his own country, especially if the spectators take a strong disliking to his behaviour on court?

Just because he was born on the same piece of land as me doesn't mean I should give him my unwarranted support and accept his bad behaviour.

Nationalism not even once.
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #64

MurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why can't he be booed in his own country, especially if the spectators take a strong disliking to his behaviour on court?

Just because he was born on the same piece of land as me doesn't mean I should give him my unwarranted support and accept his bad behaviour.

Nationalism not even once.
its just pathetic and disrespectful, booing a player that's just won Britain's first GS in like 364527521 years. He didn't get the reception he deserved , end of. He merely tapped his racket off the ground then all of a sudden BOOOSS all round. His behavior wasn't even bad on Sunday. In fact lots of tennis fans exaggerate his behavior . I can think of many tennis players that have a much worse attitude than Andy's. At least Andy is humble, and respects his opponents
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #65
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

he's liked in both, end of
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #66
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

The abusive Fedfanboys are damaged in their personal lives.
They are not true tennis fans.

Remember the US Open bitchfight in the stands? Old man got pelted by a thug.

How about the fan with her baby crying & whining in the hot stadium because her mommy didn't feed her with her booby? Probably a Fedfangirl.

The Fedfan dimwits with bulging eyes in Thailand and Halle were wonders to behold.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #67
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't understand why Murray is hated through out the world. It just makes no sense. The lack of respect and disgusting behaviour by people oh here and ppl through out the world is embarrassing. He is an human being, not the devil. He has done nothing wrong to deserve this hate and I for one am embarrassed to call myself British, You should be ashamed of yourself. He has brought nothing but determination, spirit and effort to this sport. The many times I have seem people say he is a mug, he should retire, he should do this do that is very demoralising and pathetic. and as a matter of fact the British are pompous gits when it comes to tennis. Their mentality is just all about glory hunting and and that crap. They don't respect the game as well as others do.
is it confirmed?

Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
is it confirmed?
Oh wow your so hilarious. .
Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
The abusive Fedfanboys are damaged in their personal lives.
They are not true tennis fans.

Remember the US Open bitchfight in the stands? Old man got pelted by a thug.

How about the fan with her baby crying & whining in the hot stadium because her mommy didn't feed her with her booby? Probably a Fedfangirl.

The Fedfan dimwits with bulging eyes in Thailand and Halle were wonders to behold.
THIS. Fed fans are so obnoxious and arrogant, just like the Fed himself
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #70
country flag JanKowalski

JanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
THIS. Fed fans are so obnoxious and arrogant, just like the Fed himself
Anyone agreeing with anything heya writes deserves a free ticket to a mental institute.
JanKowalski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanKowalski View Post
Anyone agreeing with anything heya writes deserves a free ticket to a mental institute.
HA !
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #72
country flag Xenosys

Xenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond reputeXenosys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
No one is disputing here if federer was more cheered on (which is typical) but that they booed him at home. See the difference?
It's disputable whether the section of the crowd that boo'ed him were even British & Andy Murray supporters, who knows, I remember seeing a lot of Swiss flags. He was roundly boo'ed because sections of the crowd thought he was wasting time by changing racquets before the start of a point, not realising he'd broken it the point before. I know the Brits are a strong advocate when it comes to fair play, so it's likely they jumped to conclusions and got the wrong end of the stick.

In the context of the match as a whole, Federer is a key ingredient in this discussion. Put someone else (i.e Novak) at the other side of the net, and the applause and encouragement is generally louder between points.

I shouldn't be complaining. The Olympics & Davis Cup aside, Tennis is an individual sport and allegiances to ones country should be an after-thought when it comes to the support of any particular player. The fans pay their money and are entitled to express their opinion.
Xenosys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #73
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
lol u jelly brah? You jelly that the English are the most educated tennis crowd in the world? You jelly the English invented the game of tennis?
Technically the French Royal family and nobles invented tennis. It was known as jeu de pommes. The game may have existed in some form in other parts of the world but us Brits, like with Football, were the first to create the original official rules, tournaments, national teams and lay the ground work for the international competing sports scene.

I.E. Oldest football stadium (Wembley), oldest tennis tournament(Wimbledon), oldest golf venue, oldest cricket ground (Lords) etc. I am not sure about Twickenham for Rugby and Silverstone in regards to motor racing I am sure that these venues are among the oldest as well.

Did you know that of the 10 most popular sports in the world, 7 were "started" here. The other 3 I am guessing are Basketball, American football and baseball.

Quote:
Liverpool FC need to return to the good old days when the players were born and bred locally. Dalglish, Keegan, McDermott, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Grobelaar, Toshack, Molby ........ or were they just the Chelsea of the 70's buying the best talent available in the market?
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #74
country flag Dolph Ziggler

Dolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond repute

Most people i know in here in England like Federer more than Murray. Personally i'm not a fan of Murrays tennis. As a man, he can be very witty and amusing. His on court antics are what makes me dislike him most.

As for the 'because he is scottish' thing...There is a general feeling of dislike for everything Scottish in England. I am sure the Feeling is mutual north of the border. There lies the problem, it's a catch 22, the more you hate me, the more i hate you and so on. It also doesn't help that atleast half of Scotland want to be independant from the U.K. because that is causing further resentment.

p.s. im a big fan of Drew Mcintyre in the WWE, so im not anti-scottish, atleast not completely
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #75
country flag Dolph Ziggler

Dolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond reputeDolph Ziggler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adam View Post
Technically the French Royal family and nobles invented tennis. It was known as jeu de pommes. The game may have existed in some form in other parts of the world but us Brits, like with Football, were the first to create the original official rules, tournaments, national teams and lay the ground work for the international competing sports scene.

I.E. Oldest football stadium (Wembley), oldest tennis tournament(Wimbledon), oldest golf venue, oldest cricket ground (Lords) etc. I am not sure about Twickenham for Rugby and Silverstone in regards to motor racing I am sure that these venues are among the oldest as well.

Did you know that of the 10 most popular sports in the world, 7 were "started" here. The other 3 I am guessing are Basketball, American football and baseball.

Those sports are also very similar to existing British sports: Cricket/rounders, Rugby and Netball.