Is Murray better liked in America than Britain? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What do you think, especially at the O2 Final?

It's normal for Fed to be cheered/Murray jeered, same would happen to Nadal/Djoko at home 8 25.00%
The English still don't give Murray credit, and might never do, even to the point of booing him 18 56.25%
Americans and Aussies are just generally more friendly, fair people 1 3.13%
I didn't watch the match/don't know/don't care 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #46
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
lol u jelly brah? You jelly that the English are the most educated tennis crowd in the world? You jelly the English invented the game of tennis?
the true origin of the game resides in the old french monarchy. the english just maintained its posh status and gave it a few rules.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #47
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is I find booing fun but not when it's someone booing their own national hero.

For example the DC atmospheres like South America, Chileans throwing stuff at Zabaleta (who I liked) that was awesome. That's hostility. Come to our town and we'll give you the welcome you deserve etc.

But to boo your own, nah I'm out.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #48
country flag GOAT = Fed
Banned!

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
the true origin of the game resides in the old french monarchy. the english just maintained its posh status and gave it a few rules.
U still mad that modern tennis originated from England?

U mad the English are responsible for many worldwide sports today?

yh, umad.
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #49
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Thing is I find booing fun but not when it's someone booing their own national hero.

For example the DC atmospheres like South America, Chileans throwing stuff at Zabaleta (who I liked) that was awesome. That's hostility. Come to our town and we'll give you the welcome you deserve etc.

What if he kicked a ballgirl/umpire ?

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #50
country flag MurrayMagic1

MurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond repute

why is he hated though give me one good reason? exactly there is no valid reason. Yes I am serious. You criticize Andy when hasn't won a slam and then you ridicule him when he wins a slam. The guy can't win. did the tears at Wimbledon or the effort he has put in this year not change your mind about Murray? what a bunch of hypocrites
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #51
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMagic1 View Post
I don't understand why Murray is hated through out the world. It just makes no sense. The lack of respect and disgusting behaviour by people oh here and ppl through out the world is embarrassing. He is an human being, not the devil. He has done nothing wrong to deserve this hate and I for one am embarrassed to call myself British, You should be ashamed of yourself. He has brought nothing but determination, spirit and effort to this sport. The many times I have seem people say he is a mug, he should retire, he should do this do that is very demoralising and pathetic. and as a matter of fact the British are pompous gits when it comes to tennis. Their mentality is just all about glory hunting and and that crap. They don't respect the game as well as others do.
As I said, he was warmly supported at the USO for the most part.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #52
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Judging from the support he got at the USO versus in Wimbledon and the WTF, one might get that impression. The NYC crowd, which can be hostile, was very warm and supportive of him for the most part.
Consider his last match of the year:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...ld-tour-finals
There was much talk of a change in attitudes toward him after the Wimbledon loss, but that might have just been Olympics euphoria. The O2 was a hostile a crowd as I've seen toward Andy outside other than at the French. I can't think of another top 10 player that would receive that sort of reception at home.
I agree. Not even Nole got this treatment in yesterday's final. It's weird.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #53
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Because he's not English, he's Scottish.
Then again Ewan McGregor is also Scottish and he's very well liked in England.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #54
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenosys View Post
Don't tar us all with the same brush. I'm Scottish, and the idea of a breakaway does not interest me in the slightest and I suspect a lot of other Scots feel the same way. If recent polls are to give us some sort of understanding of how we feel about the idea of independence, then it's split down the middle at the moment. No doubt the night before the referendum, they'll be airing Braveheart on Scottish TV just to drum up a bit of nationalism.

Back on topic, I was fairly scathing of the British public a few days ago in their lack of support for Murray during the Federer match, but then you've got to remember who was on the other side of the net. Federer is loved by people all over the world, and especially in the UK where the GS that has received the most television and media coverage just happens to be the one which Federer has won 7 times in his career, more than any other. Clearly evident at the Wimbledon final this year, which was about 50/50 in terms of fan support. Putting my own feelings towards Federer aside, he's a difficult player to hate when he's in full flow on court.

The pay their money, they are entitled to support who they want and when they want to, and to be honest, they have been fairly vocal in their support for Murray in every other match at the o2 this year, including his match against Novak. Aside from Murrays' on court rants, he's nothing but humble towards opponents and he's got a very dry sense of humour, one which not everyone will take to.

He's not universally loved nor loathed, as seen by his support in Australia or the US this year, and I'd be interested to see some of this overwhelming proof that Murray is not liked anywhere at all. We all know MTF and it's fairly vehement subscribers and opinions are not exactly a solid basis for this.
No one is disputing here if federer was more cheered on (which is typical) but that they booed him at home. See the difference?

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #55

MurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayMagic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenShivers View Post
With that face?
Valid reason number 1
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenosys View Post
Don't tar us all with the same brush. I'm Scottish, and the idea of a breakaway does not interest me in the slightest and I suspect a lot of other Scots feel the same way. If recent polls are to give us some sort of understanding of how we feel about the idea of independence, then it's split down the middle at the moment. No doubt the night before the referendum, they'll be airing Braveheart on Scottish TV just to drum up a bit of nationalism.

Back on topic, I was fairly scathing of the British public a few days ago in their lack of support for Murray during the Federer match, but then you've got to remember who was on the other side of the net. Federer is loved by people all over the world, and especially in the UK where the GS that has received the most television and media coverage just happens to be the one which Federer has won 7 times in his career, more than any other. Clearly evident at the Wimbledon final this year, which was about 50/50 in terms of fan support. Putting my own feelings towards Federer aside, he's a difficult player to hate when he's in full flow on court.

The pay their money, they are entitled to support who they want and when they want to, and to be honest, they have been fairly vocal in their support for Murray in every other match at the o2 this year, including his match against Novak. Aside from Murrays' on court rants, he's nothing but humble towards opponents and he's got a very dry sense of humour, one which not everyone will take to.

He's not universally loved nor loathed, as seen by his support in Australia or the US this year, and I'd be interested to see some of this overwhelming proof that Murray is not liked anywhere at all. We all know MTF and it's fairly vehement subscribers and opinions are not exactly a solid basis for this.
THIS,
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #57
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post

Booing is depicable whoever you are directing it at. No excuses.
If someone sits by me and boos a player or a singer or whoever, I will usually tell him to stfu. It's such an utter lack of respect for another human being, it doesn't matter if he's your worst rival. There are some exceptions though... like when a politician is booed or the cops or the king of spain.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #58
country flag GOAT = Fed
Banned!

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Booing is depicable whoever you are directing it at. No excuses
Quote:
There are some exceptions though... like when a politician is booed or the cops or the king of spain.
Seems legit.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #59
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
Seems legit.
Mind you, I don't like it either, I would never do it, ever... but it's different then.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #60
country flag GOAT = Fed
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Mind you, I don't like it either, I would never do it, ever... but it's different then.
lettuce be realtea here Murray deserved the boos.

Hopefully they ban him next time he throws a tantrum on court.