Who will win Traralgon 2? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will win Traralgon 2?

Smith 0 0%
Millman 2 28.57%
Mitchell 1 14.29%
Kokkinakis 2 28.57%
Saville 0 0%
Jasika 0 0%
Thompson 0 0%
Bolt 0 0%
Reid 0 0%
Jenkins 1 14.29%
Ward 1 14.29%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who will win Traralgon 2?

Draw can be found here:
http://www.tennis.com.au/wp-content/...014/11/MDS.pdf

Form guide from my blog (http://lifeunitennis.blogspot.com.au...preview.html):

Quote:
As I'm writing, the last Australian, in Traralgon 1, John-Patrick Smith, has lost his semi-finals match, and American Jarmere Jenkins (6-2, 6-1 vs Moriya) has just won his semi to take on fellow American Bradley Klahn for the title.

At the moment, Jenkins looks unstoppable. But can the Australians do better this week in Traralgon 2?

Bottom half-bottom quarter

Ward v Klein

A key new contender for the week is number two seed, Brit James Ward. Ward, aged 27, is currently sitting at 111 in the live-rankings, and has improved from a ranking of 161 at year end 2013. With 506 points currently, a win here will get him into the top 100 for the first time.

His most immediate handicap, though, at least for his round 1 match against (Australian playing as British) Brydan Klein is that he will be coming off a twenty hour plane trip from Reunion. Mind you, if the weather continues to run to its current form, rain delays may well give him enough time to recover!

Assuming Ward does make it through, he faces a fairly tough path, in the shape of a Thompson/Huang R2 and Kokkinakis QF.

Thompson v Huang

Liang-Chi Huang of Taipei (ranked 295) was knocked out in the first round by Omar Jasika. This week he will no doubt be keen to make his trip worthwhile by winning a round. Thompson though, was unlucky to strike the on-a-roll Jenkins in his second round, and will be looking to do better this week. This is a good chance for one of Australia's rapidly rising players to show off his potential.

Jasika v Eames

Omar Jasika had a great run last week, losing to second seed Khlan in the quarters. He will certainly hope to consolidate that run this week. Canberran Eames (ranked 797) lost last week to Kokkinakis. Alas, I fear the same fate awaits him this week.

Kokkinakis v Jones

Jones went down to eventual semi-finalist Smith last week. Kokkinakis should be able to win this one, as well as a match against Jasika.

When it gets to the quarters, assuming he and Ward make it that far, Kokkinakis has something to prove I think. Both he and Ward are, on the face of it, playing at not dissimilar levels, with recent wins over top 100 players (indeed they each took a set off Kevin Anderson this year, at successive Masters tournaments). Kokkinakis, though, on the face of it, has the potential to go much further.

However, Kokkinakis lost to Ward back at the Vancouver Challenger in straight sets. And Ward perhaps has extra motivation in that he needs to get into the main draw in his own right, since Wimbledon doesn't have a reciprocal wild card arrangement with the AO.

Bottom half top quarter

Mitchell v Klahn

Ben Mitchell showed signs of his usual strong Traralgon form last week, eliminating John Millman to make the quarters. Third seed and Traralgon 1 finalist Klahn though is a tough ask.

Meister v Polkinghorne

American Nicolas Meister, ranked 369 went down to Saville last week. A win over wildcard Polkinghorne, who has not being having a great run of late, could make his trip worthwhile.

Wu v Smith

Wu, at 237 in the live-rankings, can't be written off too easily. Still, Smith will be looking to improve his creditable week 1 performance, and perhaps avenge his tightly fought semi-final loss to Klahn.

Bolt v Qualifier

Bolt has been bolting up the rankings over the year, but failed to live up to his name last week, being downed by Jasika in round 2. Could go the same way again?

Top half bottom quarter

Yang v Chen

I suggested last week that Tsung-Hua Yang, ranked 238, of Taipei, had the potential to cause some upsets. It didn't happen last week, but maybe he'll have better luck against fellow countryman Ti Chen.

Kyle v van Peperzeel

Wildcard Gavin van Peperzeel is currently ranked 470, and has had some good results on the futures circuit this year, including a title and a final. He is surely in with a chance against Britain's Edmund Kyle (ranked 243) who lost in his first round match against Bradley Klahn last week.

Qualifier v Banes

376th ranked Maverick Banes lost out to Kokkinakis last week; this week looks to have more possibilities!

Moriya v Millman

Millman was the sentimental favourite to win among the Australians last week, but went down in the quarters to Mitchell. This week he faces a very tough first round indeed in the form of week 1 semi-finalist Moriya. If he can win it, though, he has a pretty good draw thereafter...

Top half, top quarter

Saville v qualifier

Saville made it through to the quarters last week before going down to Smith. He'll be hoping that Jenkins is tired after his run of wins when it comes to Round 2!

Jenkins v Reid

Reid lost to Greg Jones last week; this week he faces the star performer of the Australian pro tour this year. Unlikely to be a happy ending for him.

Statham v qualifier

New Zealander Jose Statham will hope to do better than his first round exit last week.

Soeda v Propoggia

Last week top seed Go Soeda fell to Jenkins, and will drop in the rankings on Monday as he had quarter final points from last year's Seoul challenger to defend. He should have a better run this week.
Kateoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
country flag Chilenaitor

Chilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who will win Traralgon 2?

Good Luck to Mitchell, Millman and Reid
Chilenaitor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

Few interesting R1's Millman's R1 is tricky hope he gets throgh!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond repute

Harry Bourchier posted on Twitter after his retirement today in Q3 - "Never felt so bad"… any idea whats up with that?
Daniel. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
country flag The Lad

The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel. View Post
Harry Bourchier posted on Twitter after his retirement today in Q3 - "Never felt so bad"… any idea whats up with that?
Harry struggled all year in his last year of the juniors with a serious abdominal strain that left him barely able to train at times. Yet was still our best junior Wimbledon performer this year.

I don't know what today;s injury is however I got a message from a watcher that something was up in the first game apparently serve intensity hit bugger all 4 games out from home and never picked it up in the last match.
The Lad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
country flag Sam21

Sam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond repute

Mitchell wins against Klahn on what was his 8th or 9th match point... It must be a huge relief to finally get through. Ben just never loses early at any Traralgon events!
Sam21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
country flag VAMOS!!

VAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond repute

Ben!!

Matt, gave it away on a double fault

My god, Jenkins loves having a bitch about line calls. Just shut up and get on with it.
TITLES
SINGLES: 2014 Indore CH, 2014 Nottingham CH
DOUBLES: 2014 Sacramento CH (w/Chris.), 2014 Poitiers Futures (w/Derevko)
VAMOS!! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #8
country flag The Lad

The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond repute

trying to catch it but it sounded like Smith asked the referee to change the umpire at the end of the first set.

Didn't get his way of course.

Last edited by The Lad : 11-04-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:47 AM   #9
country flag Redkop

Redkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lad View Post
trying to catch it but it sounded like Smith asked the referee to change the umpire at the end of the first set.
Yeah he did. Not a clue how Smith lost that set, he served for it at 5-4 and was on top for most parts of it. Work to do now!

Very Hot Squad
Blake Mott, Christian Garin, Jared Donaldson, Liam Broady, Omar Jasika, Francis Tiafoe, Hyeon Chung, Evgeny Tyurnev

Gael Monfils Stan Wawrinka Tommy Robredo Leonardo Mayer Peter Gojowczyk

Luca Vanni Marcus Willis Dan Cox
Redkop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:18 AM   #10
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Mitchell and Smith both into the quarters, dropping just four games each in their R2 matches. Australia will have exactly one local in each quarter-final.

Last edited by n8 : 11-06-2014 at 03:40 AM.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
country flag The Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Mitchell and Smith both into the quarters, dropping just four games each in their R2 matches. Australia will have exactly one local in each quarter-final.
You not counting Smith as a local XD
Old 11-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lad View Post
You not counting Smith as a local XD
LOL, I guess not. Australians going a lot better than last week I see.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote