Thanasi in the media - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanasi in the media

An article on his doubles with Kyrgios - and continuing to distance himself from the bad boy image:

Quote:
Playing US Open doubles with Nick Kyrgios is one thing, but Thanasi Kokkinakis wants no part in any new-age tennis brat pack with Australia's fallen star.

More than thirty years after John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors and Ilie Nastase raged against officialdom, Kyrgios is being dubbed the new bad boy of the sport after a series of infractions at Wimbledon and his now-infamous verbal taunting of Stan Wawrinka in Montreal.

Kyrgios on Saturday said he'd learnt his lesson and promised to lift his act after being hit with a suspended ban and fine for "aggravated behaviour".

Regardless of which way Kyrgios goes, good mate Kokkinakis wants to remain known as a cleanskin after former Davis Cup captain and Australian of the Year Pat Rafter branded the teenager "our role model, our Australian tennis pin-up boy" at Wimbledon.

"I haven't done anything to be a bad boy. I'm just doing my own thing and whatever," Kokkinakis said ahead of his first-round clash at Flushing Meadows on Tuesday with Richard Gasquet.

"To be honest, it's pretty comical when I read the headlines and they bunch it together like that.

"But everyone's going to write what they want to write. Until people read the article and what actually happened, then they can make an opinion.

"But when they categorise it, it does annoy me a little bit.

"But it's pretty funny so I try not too worry about it."
The laidback 19-year-old was unfairly dragged into Kyrgios's dark on-court antics when Kyrgios told French Open champion Stan Wawrinka at this month's Montreal Masters that "Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend. Sorry to tell you that, mate".

While Kyrgios has been fined and heavily sanctioned, Kokkinakis has also suffered.

He almost came to blows with Ryan Harrison after the American in turn sledged Kokkinakis, effectively tarring the South Australian with the same brush as Kyrgios.

"I'm just playing tennis and trying to avoid all the rubbish," Kokkinakis said.
"Obviously it was weird what he (Kyrgios) did. He shouldn't have done it, of course.

"But I'm fine with him. I talked with him, he apologised to me. It's all good, we're past it now and we've just got to move on."
Partners at Melbourne Park this year, Kokkinakis and Kyrgios - the 2013 Wimbledon junior doubles champions - are teaming up in New York for the first time.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/t...#ixzz3kIFxxtll
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanasi in the media

I definitely see Kokkinakis's potential to be a role model and I hope his connection with Kyrgios does not harm that.
I think Kokkinakis will be the most successful player born in the 90s.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
country flag Bkelly123

Bkelly123 is on a distinguished road

Apparerently Thanasi and Nick are out of the doubles draw...
Bkelly123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkelly123 View Post
Well that was short-lived!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:28 AM   #5
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkelly123 View Post
Source of this snippet of news?
Old 08-31-2015, 03:35 AM   #6
country flag Kateoz

The official double draw is now out and they aren't on it.

But it isn't clear what happened - on ranking they could have got in, but as far as I can see weren't on the original entry list. But the sudden flurry of media on the possibility of them playing suggests they perhaps got a wildcard (in lieu of the women's one?). If so, did Nick get pissed because of Thanasi's distancing from him? Or did Thanasi (or his father!) decide the risks of association were too high. Or did the wildcard get pulled because adverse publicity of Nick getting one...
Old 08-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
country flag Kateoz

Thanasi on recovering from Wimbledon illness and chances in USO, by Darren Walton at MSN:

Quote:
Physically and mentally revitalised, Thanasi Kokkinakis gives himself a shot of upsetting Wimbledon semi-finalist Richard Gasquet on Tuesday to ignite his US Open campaign.

Kokkinakis is back to his fighting weight after a nasty bug attacked his system and shed 4kg from his 196cm frame in the week before Wimbledon.

It was no surprise the 19-year-old fatigued in a demanding 7-6 7-6 6-4 loss to 21st seed Leonardo Mayer at the All England Club.

Now he's eager to atone for failing to progress beyond the opening round at a grand slam for the first time since debuting at Melbourne Park last year.

"I'm feeling more healthy. I've maintained weight, which is ideal," Kokkinakis said on the eve of his main-draw debut at Flushing Meadows.

"I played the juniors two years ago and played well, made the final.

"I played qualifying last year and didn't do as well as I liked so it's going to be different playing the main draw.

"I can't wait to get out there. I love a good atmosphere when you're playing tennis. That's why you play."

Kokkinakis, the world No.70, is bracing for a tough time against Gasquet, the French 12th seed who eliminated his doubles partner Nick Kyrgios from Wimbledon.

But a proven big-match performer with grand slam and Davis Cup wins over a bunch of higher-ranked rivals, the teenager fancies his chances of claiming another scalp.

"It's obviously a tough match, but I played him a couple of weeks ago in Cincy so I know what to expect," Kokkinakis said.

"He's a quality player, fresh off a semi-final at Wimbledon.

"But I had my chance to win the first set against him. I was up 4-1 serving in the tiebreaker so I know when I play well I can definitely match him and beat these guys.

"So I've just got to put it together on the day."

Like his untimely illness, Kyrgios's taunt to French Open champion Stan Wawrinka in Montreal that "Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend" also caused the exciting youngster some sleepless nights.

He also had an on-court confrontation with American Ryan Harrison days later as a direct result of Kyrgios's crude sledge.

But Kokkinakis says he's moved on.

"I'm past it. All good," he said.

"I actually played some good tennis after it happened too. I had some good wins, so I'm feeling fine."

An upset win over Gasquet would put Kokkinakis on the path to a potential third-round showdown with either Lleyton Hewitt or Bernard Tomic, who also play their openers on Tuesday...