MTF suggestions to reform the ATP and tennis in general - Page 36 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Choose!

Blue Clay 0 0%
Wood 0 0%
Ice 0 0%
Gold 0 0%
Some Metal based surface 0 0%
Carpet 1 20.00%
Water 1 20.00%
No Surface - players hover 2 40.00%
Glass 1 20.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #526
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MTF suggestions to reform the ATP and tennis in general

Yes, as much as you don't want to think it SdG, the Masters is actually part of the tennis tour, therefore it counts as tennis reform. The Masters are run by the ATP it classifies in both categories.

Ordering me to do anything is a going to end in a whole lot of nothing.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #527
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

1. More prize money for players losing in the earlier round of tournaments. Redistribute the money from the MS1000 winners and make it more favorable to the guys who need the money more, in the lower rounds. Federer's wife doesn't need another Birkin, a difference of 200k or 300k less in prize money wouldn't reduce him, Nadal, Murray or Djokovic to abject poverty.

2. Get rid of the bonus pool for the top 4 players. They make that much money just to show up in Dubai or Quatar. Redistribute the bonus pool prize money to the lower ranks.

3. Promote Doubles. It's a terrific sport that doesn't get nearly enough coverage. I'd do a doubles documentary featuring the top players, they're interesting characters and amazing athletes to boot.

4. Market the top 50/top 100 more effectively. Their stories are much more interesting, more compelling and relatable than the top 4.

5. Do an audit of WADA's questionable, inconsistent decisions with their doping bans and promote more transparency. I cannot understand why some players can get away with a slap on the wrist for a positive test for nandrolone and others from poorer nations get lifetime bans for taking relatively harmless stuff like etilefrine. Not fair.

6. Enforce stricter doping protocols and tests. The current tests the ITF have in place are a joke. I'd hire Don Catlin to overhaul the entire tennis testing system.

7. Promote the Challenger circuit. I'd hype some of the bigger Challenger tournaments, perhaps sell them to Asia where there aren't enough tournaments to satisfy the demand.

8. Reinstall the player blogger of the week. That was a great feature when they did it 6 years ago, the ATP can ask some of the younger unknown guys or the vets with personality to contribute.

4 criteria of trolls:

1. Appearance of outward sincerity.
2. Posts designed to incite anger or "flames"
3. Posts designed to waste everybody's time with useless argument
4. Desperate desire for attention, any attention at all

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.
LisaKoh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #528
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

WADA has nothing to do with the ATP, they are an independent body.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #529
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

They're separate organizations but WADA still manages the doping decisions for the ITF under the unified agreement: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olym...es/7874306.stm

WADA has made some real head-scratching decisions in recent years, WRT Volandri's case (for his asthma) and Kendrick, nevermind the mess with Puerta. I find a lot of their decisions puzzling so if I was the ATP, I would call for a review of why WADA can be so punitive with the small fish and let some really big ones go.

4 criteria of trolls:

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #530
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

The doping case files are available, most appeal to the CAS anyway. Those reports aren't hard to find, the testing procedure is a joke but WADA's goal is to put itself out of business this is not happening.

It's about the laws, very hard to get proper convictions without solid evidence.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 04-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #531
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKoh View Post
1. More prize money for players losing in the earlier round of tournaments. Redistribute the money from the MS1000 winners and make it more favorable to the guys who need the money more, in the lower rounds. Federer's wife doesn't need another Birkin, a difference of 200k or 300k less in prize money wouldn't reduce him, Nadal, Murray or Djokovic to abject poverty.

2. Get rid of the bonus pool for the top 4 players. They make that much money just to show up in Dubai or Quatar. Redistribute the bonus pool prize money to the lower ranks.

3. Promote Doubles. It's a terrific sport that doesn't get nearly enough coverage. I'd do a doubles documentary featuring the top players, they're interesting characters and amazing athletes to boot.

4. Market the top 50/top 100 more effectively. Their stories are much more interesting, more compelling and relatable than the top 4.

5. Do an audit of WADA's questionable, inconsistent decisions with their doping bans and promote more transparency. I cannot understand why some players can get away with a slap on the wrist for a positive test for nandrolone and others from poorer nations get lifetime bans for taking relatively harmless stuff like etilefrine. Not fair.

6. Enforce stricter doping protocols and tests. The current tests the ITF have in place are a joke. I'd hire Don Catlin to overhaul the entire tennis testing system.

7. Promote the Challenger circuit. I'd hype some of the bigger Challenger tournaments, perhaps sell them to Asia where there aren't enough tournaments to satisfy the demand.

8. Reinstall the player blogger of the week. That was a great feature when they did it 6 years ago, the ATP can ask some of the younger unknown guys or the vets with personality to contribute.

Good points. It's a bit sickening how much ATP, organizers, media and everyone connected to tennis has focused on the top guys. Sometimes you wonder if the top guys and their consistent good results isn't partly due to the huge economical advantage they have.

Let's face it. The top50 in the world can barely afford to have a coach and fysio travel with them. No top50 type player can afford the same racket stringing service either as the top guys. (was like $50k a year for top4, you can't have deals like that if you make only 300-500k over the season at best)

Djokovic even had high tech eggs, special high altitude training and such things. An entirely different ballpark where we migth talk $1M or more

The more you think about it the more sense it makes that the top4 has been able to dig in so well considering the huge economical advantage. They can go for the best of everything and pick the best trainers, coaches, medical staff and whatever they need. It's simply unfair

It's a bit like being the Barcelona or Real Madrid of the spanish league who got such economic muscles they are pretty much secure at the top season after season.

I 100% agree that reducing the insane deals for the top4 and boosting the rest would indeed make the ATP tour less unfair and probably more competitive.

As for the challengers circuit it's tricky. Seems like there is barely any crowd wanting to see it but gamblers are very interested. Somehow they need to make people buy tickets and somehow demand more for broadcasting rights. Find a way to get more money into the circuit so they can increase prize money and thereby also reduce fixing.

Last edited by MaxPower : 04-13-2012 at 10:54 AM.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #532
country flag LisaKoh

MaxPower: I think the service that Federer and Djokovic use is Priority One stringing and it's 100k a year retainer ++ but that's covered by the lifetime deal with Wilson. Same for Djokovic and Head. Let's not forget those entourages, they cost a LOT. It's actually amazing to see some guys like Ferrer and Berdych hanging around the top 10 considering that they're not player-conglomerates who have access to the resources that the top 4 can afford. I agree, the economics confers great advantage.

Anyway, the prize money is incidental to the top 4, what they really want are those trophies so why not "tax" their on court winnings so they can share the wealth? They make quadruple that in sponsorships.

For the Challengers, it's easy to get a sporting and punting audience: send them to Macau, South Korea and Singapore. Tennis happy and punting happy audience.

4 criteria of trolls:

Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #533
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
do you know what reformation of atp means, strippy? it is not just about world toast finals......
Do you know what 'tennis in general' means, General SDF?

Quote:
Isn't this controlled by the tournament itself though? Can the ATP tell them to do this?

Quote:
YES. I don't understand why Doubles is so neglected. I only get to watch doubles on TV when it's a grand slam final or a Davis Cup tie. It's ridiculous.

Quote:
I'd love to get TV coverage of some Challenger tournaments. It gets really boring watching the same players half the time.

Quote:
Omg yes. I don't know why they discontinued this.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #534
country flag LisaKoh

Hey tripwires The Bonus Pool is something that the ATP cooked up during the tenure of DeVilliers. It's meant to be some monetary compensation for all of them showing up to the Mandatory MS1000 events: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Corporate/About.aspx

Small blurb about it here but it's something like 6-7 million bucks that the ATP pays out to the top guys.

I think you're thinking of the Appearance Fees from the Individual tournaments? ATP has no say in that but going rates for Federer, Nadal and Djoko are in the 1 million Euro range, with Murray at about 700-750k.

The appearance fees are separate, bonus pool is really to make sure that all the MS1000s have top 4 there.

4 criteria of trolls:

Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #535
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

ATP should contact MTF administrators and arrange a separate WTF-like tournament for the ACC quarter finalists. (And they should play on green clay with wooden racquets of course.)

Now that would provide entertainment.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #536
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have you seen the attendance at ATP events in Asia? What about the entry lists for challengers in Asia? That would just put Lu into the top 20 and Soeda into the top 40 and we would have people no one has ever heard of that can't play in the top 100 since no one plays in these events. If anything, there are already too many challengers in Asia.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #537
country flag Vaskalainen
Banned!

Vaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond reputeVaskalainen has a reputation beyond repute

Ban excessive time wasting
Vaskalainen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #538
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskalainen View Post
Ban excessive time wasting
Could you imagine Novak Djokovic getting a time violation on his 48th bounce of the ball before his serve.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #539
country flag LisaKoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Have you seen the attendance at ATP events in Asia? What about the entry lists for challengers in Asia? That would just put Lu into the top 20 and Soeda into the top 40 and we would have people no one has ever heard of that can't play in the top 100 since no one plays in these events. If anything, there are already too many challengers in Asia.
Yes, I've been to ATP events in Asia. Considerable growth there.

There are only 8 out of 90 total ATP Challenger events in Asia: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tourname...nger-Tour.aspx

How is 8.8% of the total "too many challengers in Asia"?

4 criteria of trolls:

Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #540
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey tripwires The Bonus Pool is something that the ATP cooked up during the tenure of DeVilliers. It's meant to be some monetary compensation for all of them showing up to the Mandatory MS1000 events: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Corporate/About.aspx

Small blurb about it here but it's something like 6-7 million bucks that the ATP pays out to the top guys.

I think you're thinking of the Appearance Fees from the Individual tournaments? ATP has no say in that but going rates for Federer, Nadal and Djoko are in the 1 million Euro range, with Murray at about 700-750k.

The appearance fees are separate, bonus pool is really to make sure that all the MS1000s have top 4 there.
Oh yes I was thinking about the appearance fees. Okay that makes sense now. Thanks.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote