MTF suggestions to reform the ATP and tennis in general - Page 31 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Choose!

Blue Clay 0 0%
Wood 0 0%
Ice 0 0%
Gold 0 0%
Some Metal based surface 0 0%
Carpet 1 20.00%
Water 1 20.00%
No Surface - players hover 2 40.00%
Glass 1 20.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #451
country flag e476

e476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond reputee476 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Bronze Medal" or 3rd Place in Tournments

The losing semi-finalists would not care about yet another 3rd place match. They wouldn't give their best effort, and they would be emotionally/physically exhausted.
e476 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #452
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Would You Speed Up the Game and Make the Matches Shorter

its clear that the sport is becoming more and more demanding with each passing year.

and the casualties continue to mount in terms of player injuries. this seriously threatens their longevity in the sport.

if you were in charge of speeding up the game and the matches, what items would be on your action agenda?

what steps can be taken to make the matches shorter?

we have seen already that we no longer have best of 5 sets finals at the masters series events. lately johnny mac has jumped on the bandwagon for this cause as well.

it is only a matter of time before some additional steps are taken to speed up the game in terms of shortening the time of the matches. there are some other spill over benefits to this: masses often find the matches too long. shortening the time of the matches may be one way to increase our sport`s mass appeal.

what might those steps be and which ones would you agree with?

the floor is at your disposal. have at it and have fun with this.

Last edited by Clay Death : 06-12-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: better title
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #453
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slow Down the Courts

They should make tennis triathlon Play one set on clay, then players should run to the second court (whoever is late gets penalized!), where they would play second set on hard court, while decider would be played on grass. Or maybe they should run to the other court on changeover... I'm still working out the rules
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #454
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
They should make tennis triathlon Play one set on clay, then players should run to the second court (whoever is late gets penalized!), where they would play second set on hard court, while decider would be played on grass. Or maybe they should run to the other court on changeover... I'm still working out the rules
Loser of set gets to decide the next surface.
Garson007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #455
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

I personally would like to see tennis played at the speed of light.

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #456
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MTF suggestions to reform the ATP and tennis in general

I've already said it:

Reduce the season by about 2 weeks, make IW and Miami 64 player draws.
IW and Miami sped up to medium/fast hard.
Give Madrid back to Hamburg. Slow down the big clay events.
SPEED UP WIMBLEDON
Speed up the US Open back to the way it was
Take Shanghai's TMS away and give it back to Madrid (indoor hard)
Bring back carpet and make Basel, Moscow, St Petersburg and Valencia all Gerflor, and bring back purple Gerflor for Paris
Give Shanghai the TMC and old surface back
5 set finals in Masters Series back

Basically you can see all what I'd do. Undoing all recently SHITE changes made by the ATP.

People who fix things that aren't broken are the most irritating people on Earth.

Slow-ass hard courts that are slower than clay should NOT exist. Not only is the tennis bad, but the sticky way the balls bounce is disgusting for a hard court.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #457
country flag Imaster

Imaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proposal: New WTF Format

Hi Guys,

Wouldn't it be great to have a tournament where
- there are no draws, thus completely eliminating the element of luck.
- the top players have to play every other top player, rather than just the player who has landed in his group.

e.g Currently Nadal/Federer are not guaranteed to play against Djokovic/Murray, and vice-versa.

Thus here is what I propose,
- Reduce the number of players that qualify for WTF to 6 (rather than 8)
- For these 6 players, there would be no draws. Each player has to play all 5 other players.
- Then the top 4 winners get to play semifinals (1/4 and 2/3) and then finals.

Thus the winner/finalist would have to play a total of 7 matches (similar to a slam)

The main advantages would be
- there would be no luck or chance as draws are eliminated
- we would get to see guaranteed blockbuster matches irrespective of who reaches the semis or finals

The new format would be about "all top players competing against each other".

The current format is about "top players competing with some of the other top players, and then might or might not compete with other top players"
Imaster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #458
country flag Santoro Magician

Santoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond reputeSantoro Magician has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proposal: New WTF Format

There's no way the players will agree to this.

A. Because they are already moaning about the length of the season and won't agree to play MORE matches.

B. The 8 players get a wealthy appearance fee for making the WTF, the players won't agree to effectively reduce their chances of getting a hefty pay check for qualifying by reducing the spots from 8 to 6, and the way in which the top 4 are so dominant just now it will just be a case of the rich getting richer.

Nice idea in theory but the player's have too much power these days.
Santoro Magician is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #459
country flag JimmyV

JimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond repute

Better idea.

128 player draw. All players play all other players, 127 matches for each player. This would ensure we got a true gauge of who is really number one. 16,129 total matches, so it would take a little bit longer than your average tournament, but it would eliminate the need for these arbitrary rankings that are currently used.
JimmyV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #460
country flag Imperfect Angel

Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond reputeImperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaster View Post
Hi Guys,

- the top players have to play every other top player, rather than just the player who has landed in his group.

e.g Currently Nadal/Federer are not guaranteed to play against Djokovic/Murray, and vice-versa.

- For these 6 players, there would be no draws. Each player has to play all 5 other players.

Thus the winner/finalist would have to play a total of 7 matches (similar to a slam)
If you'd like to have the winner/finalist to play 7 matches like in a slam, then they just have to play one another like in a round robin format. If there are 8 players, then each of them would've played a total of 7 times at least, and the one with the most matches won/most sets won/most games won will win.
Imperfect Angel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #461
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Guys,

The main advantages would be
- there would be no luck or chance as draws are eliminated
- we would get to see guaranteed blockbuster matches irrespective of who reaches the semis or finals

The new format would be about "all top players competing against each other".

The current format is about "top players competing with some of the other top players, and then might or might not compete with other top players"
It's a great idea, I totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Better idea.

128 player draw. All players play all other players, 127 matches for each player. This would ensure we got a true gauge of who is really number one. 16,129 total matches, so it would take a little bit longer than your average tournament, but it would eliminate the need for these arbitrary rankings that are currently used.
Troll.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #462
country flag Imaster

Imaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond reputeImaster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Angel View Post
If you'd like to have the winner/finalist to play 7 matches like in a slam, then they just have to play one another like in a round robin format. If there are 8 players, then each of them would've played a total of 7 times at least, and the one with the most matches won/most sets won/most games won will win.
My main idea was not to make players play 7 matches, the main idea was to see the top players compete with all other top players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoro Magician View Post
B. The 8 players get a wealthy appearance fee for making the WTF, the players won't agree to effectively reduce their chances of getting a hefty pay check for qualifying by reducing the spots from 8 to 6, and the way in which the top 4 are so dominant just now it will just be a case of the rich getting richer.
Imperfect Angel's idea seems good, this would retain 8 players in WTF (instead of 6) and we would even get to see all players playing each other. But then, there would be no semis and finals, without which the excitement is lost.

If we keep semis and finals too, then the winner/finalist would have played 9 matches, which is too much. Hence I was suggesting reducing it to 6 players.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #463
country flag Imaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Better idea.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #464
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

how about 2 groups of 5 players each

top 10 players qualify!

group a
1.nole
3.murray
5.ferrer
7.berdych
9.tipsy

group b
2.nadal
4.feds
6.tsonga
8.fish
10.del potro

top 4 in each group qualify for quarterfinal knockout stage, knockout stages is a grueling best of 5 sets, all the way from quarterfinals to the finals, ya baby!
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #465
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If we keep semis and finals too, then the winner/finalist would have played 9 matches, which is too much. Hence I was suggesting reducing it to 6 players.
It can be scheduled based on who is winning and losing in the tournament to make sure the deciding matches are played on the last day. The problem is that the players would be playing 7 matches = they will be playing from Monday to Sunday, not something they will agree to.

DTT(D) : 2012 Nice & Eastbourne, Olympics Bronze, 2013 Indian Wells w/supertec
PAW    : 2012 Atlanta
Suicide: 2011 Barcelona*, 2012 U.S. Open*, WTF*, 2013 Gstaad, Winston-Salem*
TT(S)  : 2011 Szczecin CH, 2013 Miami & Stuttgart
TT(D)  : 2011 Eastbourne w/Blarghman, Pozoblanco CH w/MuriloBrasil, Genova CH w/ESimp, Szczecin CH w/Dexter,
         2012 Newport w/chowdaheads25, 2013 Memphis & Stuttgart w/Blarghman
FITD   : 2011 Kuala Lumpur, 2012 Kitzbühel, 2013/14 Monte Carlo
coolfish1103 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote