THE Country Celebration Thread - Page 45 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #661
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Very interesting coat of arms. The bird on the left is a Dodo, probably the only bird in human history not to be afraid of us at all. Completely tame. Also, it tasted good. So - naturally - it became extinct not too many years after it was discovered....sad story.
I had heard of Dodo birds, but I thought that was something someone just made up Pardon me poor Dodo birds

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #662
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Upcoming celebrations:

March 15: Hungary
March 17: Ireland and Northern Ireland
March 18: Aruba
March 19: Vatican (Pope Francis Inauguration)
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #663
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

March 15th Princess Di's (Sonja1989) country

Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #664
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

I already know who athlete to choose

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 125 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 65 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) SF Umag (with kr1s17an) Won : Cordeones CH (with Freak3yman84)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 10:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #665
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marto View Post
I already know who athlete to choose
I have mine lined up too. Doubt it will be the same one, but you never know.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #666
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

Over to Hungary from now

Tennis Tipping 2014

Doubles : 65 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) SF Umag (with kr1s17an) Won : Cordeones CH (with Freak3yman84)

Finals CH

Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #667
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

March 15:

Hungary (1848) --- 1848 Revolution Memorial Day
This is the first of three Hungarian National Days across the year.

In 1825, Emperor Francis II convened the Diet in response to growing concerns amongst the Hungarian nobility about taxes and the diminishing economy, after the Napoleonic wars. This – and the reaction to the hot-headed reforms of Joseph II – started what is known as the Reform Period (Hungarian: reformkor). But the Nobles still retained their privileges of paying no taxes and not giving the vote to the masses. It was in this time that Hungarian became an official language instead of Latin as had been used formally before. The influential Hungarian politician Count István Széchenyi recognized the need to bring the country up-to-date. The Hungarian Parliament was summoned once again in 1825 to handle financial needs. A Liberal Party emerged in the Diet, which put its attention on providing for the peasantry. Lajos Kossuth, a famous journalist of the time, emerged as the leader of the lower house of Parliament. Kossuth's aspiration was to build a modern democratic, liberal state with a constitution, ensuring civil equality. The people supported him in this modernisation, even though the Habsburg monarchs obstructed all important liberal laws about their civil and political rights and the economic reforms. Many reformers (like Lajos Kossuth, Mihály Táncsics) were imprisoned by the authorities.

The Revolution started on March 15, 1848.
The bloodless mass demonstrations in Pest and Buda forced the Imperial governor to accept all twelve of their demands. After that, there were many insurrections throughout the Kingdom; on the pressure, the Governor-General's officers, acting in the name of the King appointed Hungary's new parliament with Lajos Batthyány as its first Prime Minister. The new government approved a sweeping reform package, referred to as the "April laws", which created a democratic political system. The newly established government also demanded that the Habsburg Empire spend all taxes they received from Hungary in Hungary itself, and that the Parliament should have authority over the Hungarian regiments of the Habsburg Army. In the summer of 1848, Hungarian Government ministers, seeing the civil war ahead, tried to get the Habsburgs' support against the conservative Josip Jelačić. They offered to send troops to northern Italy. By the end of August 1848, the Imperial Government in Vienna officially ordered the Hungarian Government in Pest not to form an Army. Jelačić, being a Count in Croatia and Dalmatia, which were at that time part of Hungary, had a different view. He invaded Hungary to dissolve the Hungarian Government, without any order by the Austrian throne.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #668
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Over to Magyarország!

My Hungarian athlete is Storcz Botond, a very successful Canoe racer who won three Olympic and four World Championship gold medals. He competed both alone and as part of a two-man and four-man canoe.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #669
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Over to where? Wow I would sure fail a geography test in school now!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #670
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
I post a map in the description. Over to where that map points.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #671
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
To Magyarország. That is the name Hungarians themselves use for Hungary. Occasionally a country will be called something else entirely in English from what it is known as at home. Finland, for example, is Suomi to the Finns. Albania is Shqipëri to the Albanians.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #672
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

Laszlo Cseh is Hungarian swimmer, he had bad luck to be born in one generation with Felps and Lochte, this is the main reason he not to have Olympic title in 200m and 400m medley. He had 5 Olympic medals (3 silver and 2 bronze), 1 World Title in 2005 (400m medley).

All his medals (in 25m and 50m pools)

Olympic - 2 silver and 3 bronze
WCH - 1 gold 5 silver and 6 bronze
ECH - 17 gold 5 silver and 6 bronze

As we can see he is king in Europe . he won five times in row in long pool 200m and 400m medley.

Tennis Tipping 2014

Finals CH

Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #673
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Great pick, Laszlo Cseh is a tremendous athlete
Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #674
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
To Magyarország. That is the name Hungarians themselves use for Hungary. Occasionally a country will be called something else entirely in English from what it is known as at home. Finland, for example, is Suomi to the Finns. Albania is Shqipëri to the Albanians.
Thank you very much I obviously didn't know that! I never will forget the time I first saw Brazil spelled in it's correct language

Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #675
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Over to Northern Ireland!

My Northern Ireland athlete is Rory McIlroy, the current golf world #1 who is one of the youngest golfers ever to have won a major title two years in a row. Still only 23 he looks set for a great future.