THE Country Celebration Thread - Page 43 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #631
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

I had to do some research on Bulgaria to find out what is going on there. Here is the link in case anyone else wants to read about it. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0BV14V20130303
You know Martin seemed upset about the protests and in some ways I can understand why, but really with what all is going on in the U.S. now I wish some people would hit the streets here!

Last edited by Mae : 03-05-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #632
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

From now on I will display the coat of arms of every country, along with the flag.

March 6:

Ghana (1957) --- Independence Day

Many wars occurred between the colonial powers and the various nation-states in the area, including the 1806 Ashanti–Fante War, and the continuous struggle by the Ashanti against the British in many wars. The Ashanti defeated the British a few times, but eventually lost with the Ashanti-British War in the early 1900s. Even under colonial rule, the chiefs and people often resisted the policies of the British; however, moves toward decolonization intensified after World War II. In 1947, the newly formed United Gold Coast Convention (UGCC) called for "self-government within the shortest possible time." After rioting increased in 1948, the members of the United Gold Coast Convention were arrested, including future prime minister and president Kwame Nkrumah. Later, Nkrumah formed his own party, the Convention People's Party (CPP) with the motto "self government now." He began a 'Positive Action' campaign and gained the support of rural and working-class people. He was again imprisoned for being the leader of a party that caused boycotts, strikes and other forms of civil disobedience. After winning a majority in the Legislative Assembly in 1952, Nkrumah was released and appointed leader of government business. After further negotiations with Britain, on 6 March 1957 at 12 a.m. Nkrumah declared Ghana "free forever". The Flag of Ghana, consisting of the colours red, gold, green, and the black star, became the new flag in 1957. Designed by Theodosia Salome Okoh, the red represents the blood that was shed towards independence, the gold represents the mineral wealth of Ghana, the green symbolises the rich agriculture, and the black star is the symbol of African emancipation. Formed from the merger of the Gold Coast and British (formerly German) Togoland by a United Nations sponsored plebiscite in 1956, Ghana became the first sub-Saharan African country to gain its independence in 1957.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #633
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Over to Ghana!

My Ghanesian athlete is Abedi Pelé, a very successful football player.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #634
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I enter this first to see Marv and his cutie and then the country celebration
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #635
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

My choice is Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong

He is the first sportsman from Ghana to Winter Games, he made 47 place in slalom skiing and he was one of the attraction in Vancouver . In 2005, Nkrumah-Acheampong attempted to qualify for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. However, he failed to arrive at the qualifying stages being held in Iran because his flight was grounded in Amsterdam in the Netherlands because of ice on the wings.

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 135 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 58 (Best 58) - Won Sao Paulo (with stbanchile), Won Stockholm (with Hellcat)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 11:6 (ATP 2:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #636
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I love the Coat of Arms being added They are so beautiful
Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #637
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
I must admit I enter this first to see Marv and his cutie and then the country celebration
Thanks, Amber. Always nice to have you around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marto View Post
My choice is Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong

He is the first sportsman from Ghana to Winter Games, he made 47 place in slalom skiing and he was one of the attraction in Vancouver . In 2005, Nkrumah-Acheampong attempted to qualify for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. However, he failed to arrive at the qualifying stages being held in Iran because his flight was grounded in Amsterdam in the Netherlands because of ice on the wings.
Wow, that's actually quite interesting to know, thanks for sharing. Africans in Winter Olympics are something so rare, too bad he didn't make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
Oh I love the Coat of Arms being added They are so beautiful
I felt it was something missing around here, so I decided to post them, because most of them are highly interesting.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #638
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

pleasure marv!!
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #639
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Over to Ghana!

My Ghanesian athlete is Abedi Pelé, a very successful football player.
Yeah. Great footballer. One of the best African players of all time.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #640
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow is Syria

Tennis Tipping 2014

Doubles : 58 (Best 58) - Won Sao Paulo (with stbanchile), Won Stockholm (with Hellcat)

Finals CH

Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #641
country flag swordsman

swordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond repute

Still gutted over that loss against Uruguay in the 2010 world cup, was rooting for Ghana. They consistently produce good football players. My parents have a long term friend from Ghana, he's cool, so hurray for Ghana
swordsman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #642
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

March 8:

Syria (1920) --- Independence Day

The events in Europe led Syrian nationalist societies like al-Fatat (the Young Arab Society) to make preparations for a national congress. These Syrian nationalist societies advocated complete independence for an Arab Kingdom that united Arabs under Faisal. The King-Crane Commission encouraged efforts to unify and a hasty election was called including representatives from all over the Arab lands, including Palestine and Lebanon, although French officials prevented many of their representatives from arriving.[citation needed] The first official session of the Syrian Congress was held on 3 June 1919 and al-Fatat member Hashim al-Atassi was elected its president. On 25 June, the King-Crane Commission arrived in Damascus met with a flurry of leaflets saying “Independence or Death”. On 2 July the Syrian Congress passed a number of resolutions calling for a completely independent constitutional monarchy with Faisal as king, asking for assistance from the United States, and rejecting any rights claimed by the French. This congress is considered[by whom?] to be the first national parliament in the history of Syria and is significant to the Arab world to this day. Having representation under one independent and free country is especially important to the Palestinian Arab nationalists, who were represented for the first time in this Congress. The hopes of Faisal that either the British or Americans would come to his aid and counter French moves quickly faded especially after the Anglo-French Agreement which provided for the withdrawal of British troops from Syria and signaled the end of the British military government of Syria.

In January 1920, Faisal would be forced into negotiations with Clemenceau which stipulated that the French would uphold the existence of the Syrian state and would not station troops in Syria as long as the French government remained the only government supplying advisers, counselors and technical experts. News of this compromise did not bode well with Faisal’s vehemently anti-French and independence-minded supporters who immediately pressured Faisal to reverse his commitment to France, which he did. In the aftermath of this reversal, violent attacks against French forces occurred and the Syrian Congress assembled on March 8, 1920 to declare Faisal the king of Syria as well as to officially set up the Arab Kingdom of Syria with Hashim al-Atassi as Prime Minister. This action was immediately repudiated by the British and French and the San Remo Conference was called by the League of Nations in April 1920 to explicitly establish the mandate of the French over Syria. This was in turn repudiated by Faisal and his supporters. After months of instability and failure to make good on the promises to the French, the commander of French forces General Henri Gouraud gave an ultimatum to King Faisal declaring he surrender or fight on 14 July 1920.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #643
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Over to Syria!

My Syrian athlete is Ghada Shouaa, an Olympic and World Champion heptathlete already at the age of 23. Injuries unfortunately cut her career short. She's still the Asian record holder in the event.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #644
country flag Punky

over to Syriaaaaaaaaaaaaa

wish them all Freedom, liberty and security.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #645
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

I'll post my athlete later

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Tennis Tipping 2014

Finals CH