THE Country Celebration Thread - Page 25 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #361
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Here we go again in 2013. Thanks for keeping things alive here guys.

January 8:

Northern Mariana Islands: (1978) --- Commonwealth Day, Constitutional Government Day

After Japan's defeat, the islands were administered by the United States as part of the United Nations Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands; thus, defense and foreign affairs are the responsibility of the United States. Four referendums on either integration with Guam or the islands' status were held in 1958, 1961, 1963 and 1969. On each occasion a majority voted in favour of integration with Guam. However, the proposal remained unfulfilled, with Guam rejecting integration in a 1969 referendum. The people of the Northern Mariana Islands decided in the 1970s not to seek independence, but instead to forge closer links with the United States. Negotiations for territorial status began in 1972 and a covenant to establish a commonwealth in political union with the U.S. was approved in a 1975 referendum. A new government and constitution went into effect in 1978, on January 8, after being approved in a 1977 referendum. Similar to other U.S. territories, the islands do not have representation in the U.S. Senate, but are represented in the U.S. House of Representatives by a delegate (beginning January 2009 for the CNMI) who may vote in committee but not on the House floor.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #362
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Northern Marianas was an easy switch for me, coming off a Norwegian period, they are the closest to us in the alphabet
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #363
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

January 9:

Republika Srpska: (1992) --- Proclamation Day

A referendum that asked citizens whether they wanted to remain within Yugoslavia was held on November 9 and 10, 1991. The parliamentary government of Bosnia and Herzegovina (with a clear Bosniak and Croat majority) asserted that this plebiscite was illegal, but the Bosnian Serb Assembly acknowledged its results. On November 21, 1991, the Assembly proclaimed that all those municipalities, local communities, and populated places in which over 50% of the people of Serbian nationality had voted, as well as those places where citizens of other nationalities had expressed themselves in favor of remaining in a joint Yugoslav state, would be territory of the federal Yugoslav state. On January 9, 1992, the Bosnian Serb Assembly adopted a declaration on the Proclamation of the Republic of the Serb people of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Republika srpskog naroda Bosne i Hercegovine). On February 28, 1992, the constitution of the Serbian Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina was adopted and declared that the state's territory included Serb autonomous regions, municipalities, and other Serbian ethnic entities in Bosnia and Herzegovina (including regions described as "places in which the Serbian people remained in the minority due to the genocide conducted against them during World War II"), and it was declared to be a part of the federal Yugoslav state.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #364
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

No flag change option, unfortunately....
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #365
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

This flag is not stored on the forum's database, I'm going to use Serbia's flag, but it's incorrect.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #366
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

On second thought. I'd better not.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #367
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I have been busying with TT and haven't been here for a while. It's nice the thread is still moving right along
Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #368
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
Sorry I have been busying with TT and haven't been here for a while. It's nice the thread is still moving right along
Yes, we try to keep it going

Not many celebrations in January, though, for some reason. I believe Georgia is next, Jan 14th. The nation Georgia, not the US State. Do you ever get confused by that one?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #369
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Yes, we try to keep it going

Not many celebrations in January, though, for some reason. I believe Georgia is next, Jan 14th. The nation Georgia, not the US State. Do you ever get confused by that one?
Not confused, but it just seems funny a country and a state with the same name
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #370
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

It's close to midnight here, so it's a slightly different "Georgia on my mind" for now
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #371
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Oh I have always loved that song
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #372
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
Oh I have always loved that song
Yes, it's nice isn't it? But as it has little to do with Georgia the nation I felt I should add the first thing I think of when they are mentioned. That is women chess players. The whole former Soviet Union is littered with excellent male chessplayers, but Georgia really stood out for their women. They've had no less than three women World Champions, two of which were champions for a really long time - Nona Gaprindashvili and Maya Chiburdanidze. Together these two ruled from 1962 to 1991. That is no small feat for a small nation.

Btw, I felt I should mention here that THE thread has been closed after a brief visit from its founder and his friend. This time all their new posts were simply deleted. So guys - if you're reading - nothing I can do for that one. But it was nice to see both of you again
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #373
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Actually, Georgia is on May 26. The next celebration we're getting is Australia, on January 26th.

BTW, if that's the Georgian flag the board is presenting, it is not correct. This is the correct flag:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #374
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Actually, Georgia is on May 26. The next celebration we're getting is Australia, on January 26th.

BTW, if that's the Georgian flag the board is presenting, it is not correct. This is the correct flag:
I see! I don't know where you found your list, I just went day by day and searched on Jan 14th and found it was national flag day for Georgia.

A pity their flag is wrong. But hey - wrong flag on the wrong date at least means I'll remember them.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #375
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

I get the list from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Day