THE Country Celebration Thread - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #256
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
i read it but i feel i need more info, they share so much and look the same so i wonder why no 1 country
Why not one country? Good question. No good reason really. Norway was in union with Denmark 1397-1814 and then Sweden 1814-1905. Independence was put to a vote then and passed with something like a 99% majority. Even though we're fairly alike we still prefer to be separate. Most of us, anyway. Noone up here is seriously discussing joining forces with anyone else. And small countries is the trend now, isn't it? Catalans and Basques want their own country. Many Scots do too. And the Flemish and Walloonians (the two parts of Belgium). Several others also, I'm sure.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #257
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

i guess ur right

do u think small countries are better? They have more chances to Succeed and less internal tensions
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #258
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Difference by culture? Well, we like many of the same things but there's always some variations. Also variations inside of our nations. Take for instance cross-country skiing. The Danes don't like it much, mainly because they don't have any snow. The southernmost parts of Norway and Sweden are also lukewarn, but further North where it snows more often, it is a much more established culture to always take out your skis when opportunity arises.

It's hard to think of any variations between us that does not also exist within each country. The Danes will be the most uniform nation, I guess, seeing as they're so much smaller geographically.
The Danes don't have snow

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #259
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Difference by culture? Well, we like many of the same things but there's always some variations. Also variations inside of our nations. Take for instance cross-country skiing. The Danes don't like it much, mainly because they don't have any snow. The southernmost parts of Norway and Sweden are also lukewarn, but further North where it snows more often, it is a much more established culture to always take out your skis when opportunity arises.

It's hard to think of any variations between us that does not also exist within each country. The Danes will be the most uniform nation, I guess, seeing as they're so much smaller geographically.
thats the inside info i wanted to know
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #260
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
The Danes don't have snow
Well, they have some, certainly. But not a much as us further North. That's the main reason they're not into winter sports. Good Danish skiers or skaters are quite rare. They're better at cycling and football. And badminton.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #261
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
i guess ur right

do u think small countries are better? They have more chances to Succeed and less internal tensions
Whether or not they're better I can't say. I believe it's an advantage not to have internal tension. But there are also advantages in size, particularly as a deterrent to hostile neighbours, if you have any such (I don't think you're unfamiliar with the concept, unfortunately) and as a way to ease trade between the regions.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #262
country flag Punky

Quote:
Whether or not they're better I can't say. I believe it's an advantage not to have internal tension. But there are also advantages in size, particularly as a deterrent to hostile neighbours, if you have any such (I don't think you're unfamiliar with the concept, unfortunately) and as a way to ease trade between the regions.
lol Very familiar to me

i agree, i think smaller is better and i also think there are less wars then in the past

Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #263
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
lol Very familiar to me

i agree, i think smaller is better and i also think there are less wars then in the past
Less wars are clearly a plus for smaller nations. If Spain had been under threat by a hostile France, I doubt Catalans and Basques would be so eager to go at it alone. But they aren't. The odds of France attacking Spain are so small as not to matter to them at all.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #264
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
No...

Thank you all for celebrating Malta and Saint Lucia.
Upcoming 3 celebrations:
December 15: Netherlands
December 16: Bahrain | Bangladesh
December 17: Bhutan
I have now switched to Bangladesh
Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #265
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Some poster said to me "You are American, aren't you?" and I had to change my flag back! This is a very nice thread, but I feel like I'm misleading people when I change my flag.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #266
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Some poster said to me "You are American, aren't you?" and I had to change my flag back! This is a very nice thread, but I feel like I'm misleading people when I change my flag.
That was never meant to be an imposition for anyone. Good old US of A is good enough I've switched to Bahrain now, though. Slasher seems to be away for a few days and surely the Bahrainis also deserve to be recognized by at least one poster.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #267
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, you should appreciate being someone people like to know. I haven't got any questions as to whether I'm Norwegian or not. Slasher has been doing this more than us, I'll ask him if he get these kind of questions.
I have received such questions, and I explained why I'm doing it, there were no further questions after that.

Quote:
I have now switched to Bangladesh
I will be posting the info on all 3 days and celebrate the 3 countries I missed today. Sorry, I was extremely busy on Friday.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #268
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
I have received such questions, and I explained why I'm doing it, there were no further questions after that.

I will be posting the info on all 3 days and celebrate the 3 countries I missed today. Sorry, I was extremely busy on Friday.
Thanks for answering! I guess belonging to peripheral countries like I do makes people less prone to notice.

I'm sure the Bangladeshi and Bahrainis will forgive you. For me, I've switched to one of my favourite flags - the Bhutan one. Always liked it. A little odd, by the way, this group of B-something nations in mid-december. Even the Netherlands was once the Batavian Republic. Even though nations starting with the letter B is not at all uncommon, it seems a funny coincidence.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #269
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Quote:
Thanks for answering! I guess belonging to peripheral countries like I do makes people less prone to notice.

I'm sure the Bangladeshi and Bahrainis will forgive you. For me, I've switched to one of my favourite flags - the Bhutan one. Always liked it. A little odd, by the way, this group of B-something nations in mid-december. Even the Netherlands was once the Batavian Republic. Even though nations starting with the letter B is not at all uncommon, it seems a funny coincidence.
That really is a very beautiful flag But where is Bhutan The world map has changed since I was a young child in school!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #270
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
That really is a very beautiful flag But where is Bhutan The world map has changed since I was a young child in school!
Bhutan is a small mountain kingdom interlocked between India and China. Like Nepal, only smaller. Lies to the east of Nepal.

And this is not one of the newer nations...they've been around for a while.