Who are the current biggest chokers/underachievers in International Football? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who are the current choking/underachieving artists in International Football?

Germany 6 35.29%
Netherlands 3 17.65%
Argentina 1 5.88%
Portugal 2 11.76%
England 2 11.76%
African teams 2 11.76%
Other 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
country flag PileDrive

PileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who are the current biggest chokers/underachievers in International Football?

I know this could be controversial considering the historical pedigree of the nation..But I frankly believe that Germany has done more fuckups since 2002 to undo their reputation of teutonic efficiency, and so merit the rap on them because they have a glut of talent..Spain epic 2008-2012 run finally gets them out of that ignominy..

Obviously the Dutch are up there and may leapfrog Germany again if they fall short in another heart-breaker in Brazil..

Discuss..
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who are the current biggest chokers/underachievers in International Football?

Lost 2002 World Cup to a better team. Final was an over-achievement helped by a field decimated by shocks.
Tough group and past their best side at Euro 2004.
World Cup 2006 was pretty much par for the course - maybe a slight over-achievement given Argentina had a very strong side.
Euro 2008 outclassed by a superior team.
2010 ditto. Spain's best match of the tournament and they were too battle-hardened for a young German side.
2012 should've made the final with that squad and were probably the best team in the tournament.

I only really think one tournament was an underachievement so far. Ask me again after the World Cup is over but to be honest I'd have to say over the last decade or so it's probably Argentina who had very strong sides in both 2002 and 2006 World Cups. It depends where we're drawing the line in terms of chronology.

Without the World Cup win in 2006 Italy have disappointed on a few occasions but have also surprised us with their run at Euro 2012. Portugal should have won the Euro 2004 final but other teams should have had better tournaments then too. Their current team is mediocre aside from Ronaldo. England could have won Euro 2004 but apart from that and not qualifying in 2008 we've been pretty much par for the course. France gonna France.
unfortunately due to declining testosterone in men nowadays most men can't rock the short hair/bald look. So they have to go for the pretty boy homo long hair look or those faggy flicked up hairstyles which get on my nerves:

As an aside, Grioud looks masculine as fuck, but his hairstyle pisses me off, this hairstyle is emulated a lot amongst the men of ages 18-25 and it's just embarassing .

Only asexual hipsters or immature teenage girls are attarcted to guys with those homo hairstyles or long hair.
underspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
country flag wfrw07

wfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who are the current biggest chokers/underachievers in International Football?

The difference for me between Germany and Argentina over the last dozen years is that Germany has had far better defensive players (including keepers). Argentina is great offensively, but never has had a complete team.
2014: Eastbourne, Wimbledon
wfrw07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Mexico should be in the list. As should some other non elite countries who should be better such as Turkey.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't actually think there is a standout answer over the last 12 years as a whole, it's just that Argentina should have got out of that group in 2002, should've beaten Germany in 2006 and only have a couple of Copa America finals to show for this time period. That they haven't even reached a World Cup semi final is the surprising thing.

Germany as of now have a hugely talented squad - just important to remember they aren't actually out of this tournament yet

Edit:^ I get what you mean but Turkey have at least reached a couple of semi finals and Mexico have an Olympic Gold. It depends whether you mean in terms of resources such as population and investment or resources in terms of players.
unfortunately due to declining testosterone in men nowadays most men can't rock the short hair/bald look. So they have to go for the pretty boy homo long hair look or those faggy flicked up hairstyles which get on my nerves:

As an aside, Grioud looks masculine as fuck, but his hairstyle pisses me off, this hairstyle is emulated a lot amongst the men of ages 18-25 and it's just embarassing .

Only asexual hipsters or immature teenage girls are attarcted to guys with those homo hairstyles or long hair.

Last edited by underspin : 07-02-2014 at 09:55 PM.
underspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
country flag miura88

miura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond repute

Hungary never really recovered after the Miracle of Bern.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miura88 View Post
Hungary never really recovered after the Miracle of Bern.
well, we all know the reason for that "upset"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

seriously though England is no.1. We've made two Semis since 1968 in all events and struggle to win a knock out stage match on most occasions. This is in spite of the fact that there are 50 million+ people who love the sport, a incredible professional infrastructure in place and players who undoubtedly had the talent to achieve more than such a paltry return.

When England limply lose on penalties to a half decent Portugal side with Campbell, Cole, Terry, Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Owen and Rooney all essentially in their prime you know your team is a bunch of shitty choking mugs (referring to Euro 2004, not the 2006 WC we were just plain shit in that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
country flag Rychu

Rychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond repute

Poland is the biggest underachiever in Europe, nearly 40 million population and having problems entering WCs and ECs. It's becoming disgusting and unbearable.

Haas - Hewitt - Del Potro - Federer - Janowicz - Gasquet

Thiem - Kyrgios - Fognini - Monfils - Djokovic

Rychu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #10
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychu View Post
Poland is the biggest underachiever in Europe, nearly 40 million population and having problems entering WCs and ECs. It's becoming disgusting and unbearable.
Id say Turkey are bigger underachievers. 70 million, the 3rd place finish in 2002 has ended up meaning nothing and they have a pretty good league with great passionate fans for the sport yet now cannot get to world cups or euro even.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
country flag Doktor Carpet

Doktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond repute

Germany, they could've won WC 2010 or Euro 2012, but failed to reach the final at both.
Doktor Carpet is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #12
country flag miura88

miura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond repute

Think Russia should be doing better as a footballing nation. At major tournaments, only got out of the groups stages once since they made the move from Soviet Union to Russia.

Last edited by miura88 : 07-02-2014 at 11:23 PM.
miura88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 AM   #13
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Portugal. -Choked Euro 2000 semis, couldn't make it out of an easy group in 2002 when they were maybe on the favorites, lost to Greece TWICE at home in Euro 2004, kinda choked against France AGAIN in 2006. Now they don't have a great team aside from Cirstiano, but the Figo, Rui Costa, Deco, etc. generation should have won something. Netherlands also, with that 0-3 record in WC finals and some performances like in 98' where they could have gone all the way, Euro 2008 where they destroyed Italy and France only to lose to Russia, not qualyfing to WC 2002, the SF in Euro 2004 & Euro 2000 missing 77 penalties, etc. Czech Rep. maybe, should have won Euro 96 or 2004, but it was mainly bad luck, still no excuse for missing WC in 98' and 2002 (specially the second one) and only qualifying to one World Cup since 1990 only to lose in the 1st round.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 AM   #14
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Portugal. -Choked Euro 2000 semis, couldn't make it out of an easy group in 2002 when they were maybe on the favorites, lost to Greece TWICE at home in Euro 2004, kinda choked against France AGAIN in 2006. Now they don't have a great team aside from Cirstiano, but the Figo, Rui Costa, Deco, etc. generation should have won something.
All you need to know it's here. We are bigger chokers in football than Netherlands and France together in tennis. Unreal how we don't have a single trophy. 1 euro final, 2 WC's SF, 3 euro SF. And with the exception of that embarrasing Greece result and the England one in 66 (where we were forced to move in a last day decision from Liverpool, where was the match supposed to happen, to wembley), all these losses came in ET, Penalty shoot out, or because of a penalty.

It's kind of sad we are arguably the best world football nation without a tittle. Having 3 different ballon d'or players.

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:03 AM   #15
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Leave countries like Russia and Turkey out of this. They never had consistently good teams or group of players to do so. Turkey had the WC 2002, but that was a fluke. It was a good generation, but they never came even close of repeating that. Russia been having some good players coming up, but they never play good as a team.

Bottom line, even the fact both nations care a lot for football and have some HUGE population, they were never even good enough to be consider chokers or underachievers. They are average football counries (not talking about Soviet Union part)

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote