For the first time in history, marriage equality wins popular vote on ballot! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default For the first time in history, marriage equality wins popular vote on ballot!

Yes, the fact that marriage equality was up for vote and that people feel entitled to vote on the legal rights of human citizens is a disgusting, appalling violation of human rights, but let this sink in, people...............before yesterday, marriage equality was 0-32 on ballot. ZERO wins. THIRTY TWO losses. And last night, we won ALL four states marriage equality was on the ballot!

MAINE became the first state ever to declare victory on marriage equality about 11:00 last night, a little bit before Obama was declared winner of the election. When I realized Maine was going to win, about 10:00 last night, I started crying, because this is honestly way more than just marriage. This is about my community finally having a fucking seat at the table and finally feeling like we're apart of the family. Harvey Milk, Matthew Shepherd, Tyler Clementi, Jack Price, I can go on and on. This is for them. All the bloodshed. All the hate crimes and brutal beatings that innocent citizens have had to endure. All the disappointments when our rights were stolen away from us. All the tears shed when our families rejected us after coming out. Last night was a REPUDIATION of homophobic hatred in America. And I've never been more proud to be apart of this country. For the first time ever, America is seemingly standing by it's promise of freedom and justice for all.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the first time in history, marriage equality wins popular vote on ballot!

Here are the results!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2074188.html

Maine
Question 1 on the ballot in Maine legalizes gay marriage, reversing a 2009 referendum that lost narrowly.

Yes 342,254 53%
No 303,583 47%

Maryland
Maryland Question 6 allows voters to decide whether to approve a state law passed earlier this year legalizing same-sex marriages.

For 1,235,622 52%
Against 1,128,686 48%

Minnesota
Minnesota voters decide whether to change their constitution to deny same-sex couples the right to marry with Amendment 1.

Yes 1,400,668 48%
No 1,507,189 51%

Washington
Evergreen State voters decide whether to approve a law passed earlier in 2012 allowing gay marriages.

Approve 985,308 52%
Reject 917,197 48%

Last edited by Filo V. : 11-08-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Default Re: For the first time in history, marriage equality wins popular vote on ballot!

Mainers vote to legalize same-sex marriage
'We'll be able to stand before friends and family and make that lifetime commitment we've dreamed about,' said Matt McTighe, campaign manager of Mainers United for Marriage.
http://www.pressherald.com/politics/...the-heart.html

Maine voters made history Tuesday by being the first in the country to approve same-sex marriage by popular vote, leading gay-rights activists to call it an important step forward.

"Supporters from Portland to Presque Isle thought that truth and love are more powerful than fear and deception," said Matt McTighe, campaign manager of Mainers United for Marriage, in a victory speech.

With 49 percent of precincts reporting, 54 percent of Mainers voted in support of same-sex marriage, while 46 percent opposed it, according to unofficial results. The Associated Press called the race around midnight. Same-sex marriage opponents conceded around 1:30 a.m.

Supporters rejoiced at the news at the Holiday Inn By the Bay, where many hoped to erase the stinging memory of 2009, when a law legalizing same-sex marriage was overturned by Maine voters, 53 percent to 47 percent.

The earliest gay and lesbian couples could marry will likely be early January. The Secretary of State's Office has 20 days to certify results, Gov. Paul LePage has 10 days to approve them, and after that, there's a constitutionally mandated 30-day waiting period for the law to take effect, according to the Secretary of State's Office.

Despite the uncertain timeline, McTighe said all gay and lesbian couples can now look forward to a time when they can make a public – and legal – commitment to one another.

"We'll be able to stand before friends and family and make that lifetime commitment we've dreamed about," he said.

In Lewiston, opponents of Question 1 were gathered at the Ramada Inn, where Protect Marriage Maine's leaders Carroll Conley and Bob Emrich tallied results in one room to share with the crowd in the conference room. A small group remained there late Tuesday night.

"When we started this campaign, we said marriage was in trouble in our country." Conley said. "The problems that have weakened this critical institution started long before this present attempt to redefine it. We made the case for traditional marriage and we're terribly disappointed that we were not able to convince enough voters to hold on to the value of traditional marriage for society and we genuinely fear for the consequences we've raised during the campaign."

Conley called upon the faith community to focus its resources on marriage and thanked the volunteers who had been part of the campaign.

The vote will have national implications, for state-level battles and for the Supreme Court, which is likely to take up at least one gay-marriage case next year.

"This is a landmark election for marriage equality and we will forever look back at this year as a critical turning point in the movement for full citizenship for LGBT people," said Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign. "Voters in Maine came to the common-sense conclusion that all people deserve the ability to make loving, lifelong commitments through marriage."

Maine is one of four states that voted Tuesday on gay marriage, with Maryland and Washington considering whether to uphold laws passed by their legislatures and Minnesota deciding whether to adopt a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between one man and one woman. Across the country, 31 states have constitutional amendments banning gay marriage.

In six states and the District of Columbia, gay couples have been able to legally marry since 2004, when Massachusetts became the first state to allow it.

Maine is unique among states because gay activists bypassed the Legislature and the courts, and took the issue directly to voters.

Rea Carey, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, called the four votes across the country critical for the gay-rights movement.

Many who voted Tuesday – on both sides – said they were energized by the issue.
"I'm delighted," said Joseph Stackpole, 67, of Old Orchard Beach, who watched the returns alongside Richard Johnson, his partner of 16 years, at Gosnell Memorial Hospice House in Scarborough.

Stackpole moved into the hospice Tuesday afternoon following a 17-day stay at Maine Medical Center in Portland, where he was diagnosed with plasma cell leukemia – an aggressive and incurable type of cancer.

In an interview late last month with Portland Press Herald columnist Bill Nemitz, Stackpole said he'd hoped to live long enough for his and Johnson's marriage, performed in Massachusetts in 2008, to be legally recognized in Maine.

But his condition has deteriorated rapidly since then, he said, and he doesn't expect to still be alive when Maine's same-sex marriage law takes effect in mid-December.

Nevertheless, he said, publicly sharing his and Johnson's story in the days leading up to the vote "feels like my lifetime crowning achievement."

"The people of Maine finally came through," Stackpole said. "My faith in them wasn't in vain."
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

This is Seattle's Capitol Hill district after Obama was reelected, and marriage equality was passed:

This honestly makes me want to cry. Look at this. These people coming out for us. These people standing up for us. I honestly am overwhelmed.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

The most bigoted organization dedicated to defeating any progress of the gay community has responded. Here's a statement by it's porky leader, Brian Brown:

National Organization for Marriage: We Are Not Defeated in Our Fight for Traditional Marriage
http://www.nomblog.com/30808/

Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), released the following statement today:

"Obviously we are very disappointed in losing four tough election battles by narrow margins. We knew long ago that we faced a difficult political landscape with the four marriage battles occurring in four of the deepest-blue states in America. As our opponents built a huge financial advantage, the odds became even steeper. We ran strong campaigns and nearly prevailed in a very difficult environment, significantly out-performing the GOP ticket in every state.

Despite the fact that NOM was able to contribute a record amount to the campaigns (over $5.5 million), we were still heavily outspent, by a margin of at least four-to-one. We were fighting the entirety of the political establishment in most of the states, including sitting governors in three of the states who campaigned heavily for gay marriage. Our opponents and some in the media will attempt to portray the election results as a changing point in how Americans view gay marriage, but that is not the case. Americans remain strongly in favor of marriage as the union of one man and one woman. The election results reflect the political and funding advantages our opponents enjoyed in these very liberal states.

Though we are disappointed over these losses, we remain faithful to our mission and committed to the cause of preserving marriage as God designed it. Marriage is a true and just cause, and we will never abandon the field of battle just because we experienced a setback. There is much work to do, and we begin that process now."
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Funny how Brian Brown says their hate agenda lost because the state initiatives occurred in liberal states, when he himself uses Prop 8 passing in "liberal California" as a means to justify his agenda. He's a sick bastard.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

I would respond, but really, let's be honest. The Aussie asshole is not worth it. Let him continue to cry because he has some irrational homophobic drama he cannot resolve. Equality has won, everyone, and that's all that matters!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Maggie Gallagher, co-founder of the National Organization of Marriage, which is, as stated above, a hate group, had this to say:

Mistakes and Losses
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...gie-gallagher#

Either we figure out how to win a much larger share of the Latino vote or the conservative movement could be over. The “truce” — Rove’s Crossroads strategy — is a clear failure. I think social issues are part, but only part, of a serious effort to appeal to Latino voters. We also need to show them we care about them by doing something about the DREAM Act, and religious conservatives should take the lead on this.

The Obama electorate defeated marriage. I’m guessing we lose at least three of tonight’s four races, and maybe four of the four. We were outspent eight-to-one — and no one was willing to speak for marriage, while the whole Democratic establishment and Hollywood campaigned for marriage. Last night really is a big loss, no way to spin it.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Election 2012: Ayanbadejo, Kluwe thrilled with gay marriage wins
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...tory?track=rss

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo and Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe couldn't be happier with the states their teams represent following Tuesday's elections, as Maryland and Minnesota were among the three (and possibly four) that approved same-sex marriage.

“It's like I woke up and it's Christmas," said Ayanbadejo, who was very vocal in his support of the gay marriage ballot initiative that passed in Maryland by a narrow margin.

Same-sex marriage also passed in Maine, while votes on a similar initiative in Washington are still being tabulated. Meanwhile, voters in Minnesota defeated a ban on gay marriage, much to the delight of Kluwe.

Kluwe gained national attention back in September when the Huffington Post published his open letter to Maryland state delegate Emmett C. Burns Jr., who had urged Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti to stop Ayanbadejo from expressing his support for the Maryland gay marriage initiative.

While that letter was filled with sarcasm and profanity, a post-election piece by Kluwe published Tuesday on the Slate was overflowing with happiness and hope.

"There is work yet to be done, but we passed an important milestone today," he wrote. "Ten, 15, 20 years from now, when our children ask us, 'What did you do when it came time to fight for someone else?,' we can tell them about Minnesota and Maryland and Maine, states where people finally said: Enough."

Ayanbadejo was just as overjoyed.

“It's something I've been passionate about a long time," he said. "Even though it doesn't affect me directly, it affects a lot of my friends. It affects my family. It affects Ravens fans. It affects Marylanders. I've worked very hard on it; I'm especially proud of the Marylanders who went out and voted and made a difference.”

Not all of his Ravens teammates agreed with the outcome of the vote. Center Matt Birk recently wrote an editorial in the Baltimore Sun in opposition to same-sex marriage. He wasn't available to speak Wednesday, but safety Bernard Pollard was.

"There are a lot of guys on this team that stand firmly behind what the Bible says — that a man marries a woman and a woman marries a man,” Pollard said.

But, he added, "I'm not going to treat anybody any different. I think anybody who knows me knows that. I'm going to love you just like I did. Whatever lifestyle you want to live, you're entitled to that. .... It's just that, for us, we've got to continue to live life and continue to pray.”
Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Just because we won in four states last night doesn't mean the fight is over. It has only just begun. Marriage is on the horizon in as many as 8 states within the next 2 years, and four next year:

Gay-marriage backers end losing streak, look ahead
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...-breakthrough/

For years, foes of same-sex marriage had a potent talking point: They'd won every time the issue went to a popular vote. That winning streak has now been shattered in a multi-state electoral sweep by gay marriage supporters – a historic tipping point likely to influence other states and possibly even the Supreme Court.

"It's an astounding day," said Kevin Cathcart of the gay-rights group Lambda Legal, recalling that in 2004 alone the gay-marriage movement went 0-13 in statewide elections and was 0-32 overall since 1998.

In Tuesday's voting, however, Maine and Maryland became the first states ever to approve same-sex marriage by popular vote. Washington state seemed poised to follow suit, although slow ballot-counting there continued Wednesday. And in Minnesota, voters rejected a proposal to place a ban on gay-marriage in the state constitution, a step taken in past elections in 30 other states.

"The anti-gay opposition kept moving the goal posts and had as their last talking point that we could not win a popular vote," said Evan Wolfson, president of the advocacy group Freedom to Marry. "Last night, voters in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, and, all signs suggest, Washington proved them wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong."

Heading into the election, gay marriage was legal in six states and the District of Columbia, in each case due to legislation or court orders rather than popular vote.

Activists said Tuesday's results will likely spur pushes for same-sex marriage in states that already have established civil unions for gay couples – including Illinois, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Delaware.

Democratic takeovers of both legislative chambers in Colorado and Minnesota may also prompt moves there to extend legal recognition to same-sex couples. In each state, the Democratic governors, John Hickenlooper of Colorado and Mark Dayton of Minnesota, would support such efforts.

In Minnesota, state Sen. Scott Dibble, who is openly gay, is among several Democratic lawmakers uncertain if an immediate push for gay marriage makes political sense. But Dibble, who is 47, said of himself and his partner: "We'll be married in Minnesota in our lifetime."

Whatever happens at the statehouse level, the U.S. Supreme Court is also likely to become a pivotal battleground in the next phase of the gay-marriage debate.

The justices are expected to confront same-sex marriage in some form during the current term.

Several pending cases challenge a provision of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act that deprives same-sex couples of federal benefits available to heterosexual couples. A separate appeal asks the justices to decide whether federal courts were correct in striking down California's Proposition 8, the amendment that outlawed gay marriage after it had been approved by courts in the nation's largest state.

"The justices now know America is with us. American is ready," said Brian Ellner, co-founder of a social-media initiative called TheFour.com that was active in the gay-marriage campaigns. He and other activists noted that nationwide polls prior to the election were showing, for the first time, that a majority of Americans now backed gay marriage.

James Esseks, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Project, termed the referendum results "an indisputable watershed moment" that almost certainly would influence the Supreme Court.

"When making decisions on civil rights issues, the court follows the country, rather than leading," he said. "They don't make decisions in a complete public-opinion vacuum."

He noted that if the high court struck down Prop 8, that would immediately add California – with its 37 million residents – to the list of states allowing same-sex marriage.

Had the four measures lost, said Evan Wolfson, justices might have been reluctant to wade in on the side of gay marriage. Now, he said, they could do so "knowing that their support will stand the test of time and, indeed, be true to where the American people already are."

The chairman of the leading advocacy group opposing same-sex marriage, John Eastman of the National Organization for Marriage, said it was possible that the referendum results might nudge the high court toward a ruling favoring gay marriage. But Eastman said it also was possible the justices would decide to let the political process play out a bit longer at the state level before intervening.

The National Organization for Marriage's president, Brian Brown, expressed disappointment at the unprecedented losses for gay marriage opponents, who were outspent by at least 3-to-1 in the four referendum states – all of them won easily by President Barack Obama..

The results "reflect the political and funding advantages our opponents enjoyed in these very liberal states," Brown said. "Our opponents and some in the media will attempt to portray the election results as a changing point in how Americans view gay marriage, but that is not the case."

For the gay-rights movement, the celebration extended far beyond the groundbreaking ballot measures.

In Wisconsin, veteran congresswoman Tammy Baldwin became the first openly gay person elected to the U.S. Senate. At least five other openly gay Democrats were elected to House seats, while Kyrsten Sinema – vying to be the first openly bisexual member of Congress – was locked in a too-close-to-call race in Arizona.

In Iowa, gay-marriage opponents failed on two counts. They lost a bid to oust one of the state Supreme Court justices who ruled in favor of gay marriage in 2009, and they were unable to take control of the state Senate, where Democratic Majority Leader Michael Gronstal has blocked a proposed amendment to overturn that ruling.

More broadly, gay-rights leaders celebrated the re-election of Obama, who had frustrated them early in his term with his sometimes cautious stances. Over the past two years, he's become a hero of the movement – playing a key role last year in enabling gays to serve openly in the military and this year becoming the first sitting president to endorse same sex-marriage.

Among the next agenda items at the federal level is the proposed Employment Nondiscrimination Act, which would protect gays and transgender people from workplace discrimination.

The gay-rights momentum even extended overseas. Spain's top court upheld the legality of the country's gay marriage law on Tuesday, and French President Francois Hollande's Cabinet was pushing ahead Wednesday with a controversial bill that could see gay marriage legalized early next year.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Here is Chris Kluwe's full letter in regards to the marriage votes. Such an amazing and eloquent yet straight to the point letter. He's become a hero and major pioneer in this equality fight:

Gay Marriage Legalized! What an Amazing Day To Be an American.
http://mobile.slate.com/blogs/xx_fac..._american.html

I would like to thank every single person that helped defeat the same-sex marriage ban in Minnesota, as well as every person who contributed to passing marriage-equality legislation in Maryland and Maine and Washington.

Together, we made a statement that America is tired of division. America is tired of discrimination, of exclusion, and of unthinking oppression—the belief that people have to live their lives according to someone else's views rather than their own free will.

Together, we made sure that the world our children will grow up in is one step closer to tolerance, love, and equality; a world where our children can make their own choices instead of being shackled to dusty hate from the past.

Together, we showed this nation that a polity functions best when it includes all of its citizens, when it celebrates their differences as part of one glorious whole, when it synthesizes a wide assortment of cultures and beliefs under the guiding principles of freedom and happiness for everyone.

Together, we can approach the work still at hand. We can face the continuous fight for equality that every society must wage each generation. We may not know the specifics until they’re upon us, but the underlying foundation is always the same—living your own life vs. someone else making your choices for you.

Together, we can promote free will over oppression. We can treat others the way we want to be treated, with dignity and respect. We can work together to find common ground, despite our differences, and build a stable, nurturing society.

There is work yet to be done, but we passed an important milestone today. Ten, 15, 20 years from now, when our children ask us, "What did you do when it came time to fight for someone else?," we can tell them about Minnesota and Maryland and Maine, states where people finally said: Enough.

Enough with the hate. Enough with the bigotry. Enough with the discrimination. We are all Americans, and we are all in this together. Without each other, we have nothing.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage is just a ceremony anyway, couples don't need it to prove their love IMO.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

HRC President Chad Griffin speaks on the historic night for the LGBT community:

Old 11-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Marriage is just a ceremony anyway, couples don't need it to prove their love IMO.
It's a legal ceremony that leads to legal rights and legal duties. It's not about proving love.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote